MPG poll - Page 13 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Official Polls & Surveys

Official Polls & Surveys Please take a moment and participate in our online polls and surveys.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: What is your MPG
0-10 10 0.39%
10-20 90 3.49%
20-25 526 20.39%
25-30 992 38.45%
30-35 698 27.05%
35-40 210 8.14%
40+ 54 2.09%
Voters: 2580. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2006, 04:01 PM   #121
faulkton
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 35398
What I Drive: 2006 zx3 ses...Black

FF Reputation: 1 faulkton Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
i just checked today.. 31.37mpg.... about 98% highway....@ about 75mph with the AC on all the time..
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2006, 06:49 PM   #122
faulkton
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 35398
What I Drive: 2006 zx3 ses...Black

FF Reputation: 1 faulkton Good Standing Member
this time it was 30.34mpg
Old 07-30-2006, 03:44 AM   #123
Lumadar
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10555
What I Drive: 2006 Focus ZX3 SE Infra Red

FF Reputation: 2 Lumadar Good Standing Member
Only at 1900 miles on the car (2006 mtx zx3) but my mileage has been steadily climbing from 26 all the way to 29.5 in my last tank. But the funny part is I do 75-85% city driving...so I am VERY pleased with the numbers.

I typically shift either before, or at the light (indicator light).

Will I get better mileage shifting before the light, or right at it? I figured if I could comfortably shift a little early it would only help, am I wrong?
Old 08-01-2006, 03:35 PM   #124
svtguy88
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13476
What I Drive: 2003 Infra Red SVT

Points 8,434, Level 61
Points: 8,434, Level: 61 Points: 8,434, Level: 61 Points: 8,434, Level: 61
Level Up 95% Completed
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 17 svtguy88 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
^^^^My thinking is this: For the best mileage, shift as low in the RPM range as possible, while still using a reasonable amount of throttle (don't floor it, then shift at two grand, then floor it again....). As long as you are cruising at a constant speed, then you should be in the highest gear that does not make the engine lug (for most cases, this will be fifth...unless you are going extremely slow).

That will maximize mileage, but you won't have a whole lot of acceleration. The light is typically for the best mix of mileage and performance, so shifting below it will give you a little better mileage.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:45 PM   #125
Saber63
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 36786
What I Drive: '03 600RR, '10 speed3, '04 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Saber63 Good Standing Member
well i must diasagre, if you shift in the low RPM range, you will hurt your MPG and your enige, why? simple, look at a dyno chart, you have half(or less) HP and tourque at 1.5-3k rpm(this is where my cars shift light comes on) which this means, your enige will have to work harder to acelarate, gas milage is soly based on the amount of fuel the engine burns, nothing more. so if you shift at low rpms, to get any sort of acel, you must give the car a fare amount of gas, and also for a longer time,

if we shift at the the 5k range, then you will have more Hp to use, thus needing less fuel to get the same amount Hp out of it... then you are using less gas and also you will have to acel for far less time!

so basicly, the amount of time you have your foot down on the pedal, wheather its at 3k or 5k rpm, is what truelly is afecting your MPG, sure in theroy you should use less gas at lower rpms, due to the engine having to fire less often, HOWEVER!!! if you have to use more gas per cylnder to acel, then well you aint gaing anything.

a cool way to prove this yourself (if you have a stick) is to go out the freeway, when your doing 60, be in whatever gear it takes to be in the 3.5-4.5k range rpm range, then just drop the pedal to the mettle till you get to 70-80, im pretty sure its not going to take you very long.
NOW slow down to 60, and shift to whatever gear wil lget you in a LOW rpm range ( idle to 2k) NOW i want you to floor the gas again, till you get to the same speed....

we all know that it will take far longer to acel the second time, thus its taking you WAY more fuel.....

i also know this from this, when i acel i have my foot in nearly the same spot everytime, when i would shift at the low rpm range, say the 3k shift point, id get 27-29mpg

then i started to shift at the 4.5-5.5k range, i will get an xtra 3-5mpg, i get (as said 31-32)

this is of course with my car with my gas etc..... its posible its just my car with my driving style... however the best way to do it, drive one way for 2-3 tanks, check your mpg, drive the other for a few, check your mpg, then jsut run whatever gives YOU the best for YOUR car.

so i say this, weahter my above text is flawed or not, so be it, but after typing this, jsut drive your car shifting at a spesific rpm, per tank of gas, check your MPG each time, when you find the sweet spot, RUN IT!!! heck, it could be at 2k it could be at 6k, who knows, im guessing every varible posible determines the swet spot for your car. but hey, if you get 35mpg shifting at 2krpm, dang, do it lol.

-levi
Old 08-02-2006, 03:44 AM   #126
HalfTime
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33093
What I Drive: '03 S/C SVTF, '00 SVTL

FF Reputation: 1 HalfTime Good Standing Member
avg 26mpg city.
avg 30mpg highway.

Best of 32mph, cruise set at 59mph for 3 hours, then 63mph for 1 hour, then 71mph until I pulled over to fill up. Came to a stop/slowdown 3 times in just over 4 hours due to red lights in the middle of the night.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:43 AM   #127
SharpFocus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 35951
What I Drive: 2006 Infrared ZX4; 2003 Sportster

FF Reputation: 3 SharpFocus Good Standing Member
I only have around 4000 miles on my 06 ZX4, but right now I average around 29-30. Weird thing though, right after I installed my FS CAI my mpg shot up to 32!!! I think the change in air flow probably F-ed with the computer.
Burton Team Duratec #83
I don't drink beer to get drunk....sometimes it just happens
If a man says something in the woods, and there's no woman around to hear it, is he still wrong?
Old 08-02-2006, 09:11 AM   #128
svtguy88
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13476
What I Drive: 2003 Infra Red SVT

Points 8,434, Level 61
Points: 8,434, Level: 61 Points: 8,434, Level: 61 Points: 8,434, Level: 61
Level Up 95% Completed
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 17 svtguy88 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Saber63
well i must diasagre, if you shift in the low RPM range, you will hurt your MPG and your enige, why? simple, look at a dyno chart, you have half(or less) HP and tourque at 1.5-3k rpm(this is where my cars shift light comes on) which this means, your enige will have to work harder to acelarate, gas milage is soly based on the amount of fuel the engine burns, nothing more. so if you shift at low rpms, to get any sort of acel, you must give the car a fare amount of gas, and also for a longer time
This is what I was trying to mention in the post above, but couldn't figure out a way to explain it correctly. You are right, if you are going 20 mph in fifth gear, then flog it up to 70 mph, your gas mileage will be much worse than if you go through the gears. What I meant to say in my post, was that if you, instead of giving it more gas, use the same amount of throttle as you do when you shift at the shift light (and can deal with having less acceleration), your gas mileage will go up. That is one confusing sentance...I hope it makes a little bit of sense.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:35 AM   #129
remusrm
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1250
What I Drive: 09 MS3

FF Reputation: 1 remusrm Good Standing Member
i get around 28 both street and fway... how is around 50/50. my record was 30.5 on the way to big bear and back...

BUT NOW I GOT A MS3!!!
294hp/356tq he he:-)
Old 08-02-2006, 02:19 PM   #130
Saber63
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 36786
What I Drive: '03 600RR, '10 speed3, '04 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Saber63 Good Standing Member
hmmmm well the reson why your MPG went up with the intake... beter flow! wooo

but yeah, im not sure about the shift light deal, the reason for this.... the shift light is not for MPG, but for imensions (sp) a really funny thing i saw was a grapgh on i tihnk it was air intake and you can tell that the ECU is programed to get better imesions at the shift range.

so the shift light isnt really ment for effincy, i cant rember where i saw this grapgh, but it was on a focus sight somehwere..... kinda proof of this.... when the car makers do the emisions tests, it only bewteen a range of rpm they say, so they kinda cheat and the ecu's are programed to get good emisions at that range, where its at, i dunno, but im guessing its where the car tells you to shift.......

antwho, everything is good if your getting good gas milage!!!

oh dont wory bout having problems with the geting words out, i have that same problem from now and again... lol so its all good!

-levi

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.