SVT Piston Ring sizes - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-04-2008, 10:40 AM   #1
Rod H
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 53555
What I Drive: 1959 Austin Healey (Zetec Engine)

FF Reputation: 1 Rod H Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
SVT Piston Ring sizes

Can someone tell me the piston ring sizes for the SVT motor? I've done a search and found that the piston rings are different from the normal Zetec, but no one has listed what the sizes are??? Can ya hep a brudha out?

Ford wants $50 per cylinder for rings, I was thinking about using total seal rings, but, I need the width of the rings to do that. Are they the same as regular Zetec.

Help please.

R

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2008, 09:02 AM   #2
Quisman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4272
What I Drive: 02 Red SVT / 06 F350 King Ranch

FF Reputation: 2 Quisman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Ford didn't release the ring size to you ? Can you get a service manual(ford one)
I imagine a sport shop that deals w/ them (cfm/massive/focussport)would be able to give you the right measurements. If you do find out, please post it up. sooner or later we'll all need the info :-)
Old 04-18-2008, 09:25 AM   #3
Rod H
Focus Enthusiast

Here's waht I have found:
SVT rings are on backorder from ford until Hell Freezes Over

Zetec Ring Widths are 1.5mm, 1.75mm, and 3.0mm

SVT Rings Widths are 1.2mm, 1.5mm and 2.5mm

Total Seal offers rings for the Zetec ($140) but not for the SVT (like everyone else)

What Total Seal offers is the option to machine the ring gooves for the larger size rings (approx. $20 bucks piston). This will allow the use of total seal rings from the zetec engine.

This is the option I have gone with and it seems like a good alternate to finding svt rings.
Total Seal Technical Line: (623) 587-7400.

So far, I have recieved lots of responses asking "why don't I buy forged pistons and forged rods", but I am trying to find and economical way to rebuilt the stock engine.

Rod
Old 04-18-2008, 09:27 AM   #4
Quisman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4272
What I Drive: 02 Red SVT / 06 F350 King Ranch

FF Reputation: 2 Quisman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
HOLY COW ! Thought we were gonna have to hire columbo to figure this one out! Good job, let us know how it turns out. what a p.i.t.a. huh.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:52 AM   #5
Rod H
Focus Enthusiast

There is another option that my old school racer friends (guys in their 60's and 70's who have been racing a looooong time).

Use Piston rings from an earlier Zetec which are:

1.5mm, 1.5mm and 3.0mm.

For the oil ring:
Keep the flex ring from you old pistons (just the little accordian shaped piece form the oil ring set-up). Clean it, off course. Install it with the new outer oil rings.

Flat-sand the number 1 ring (1.5) down to 1.2mm (about .011"). An easy way to do this is to use a little super glue to hold the ring to a flat surface and use a block with 180 grit wet-dry sandpaper to sand off the 11 thousandths. This will take a little while. Make sure to measure the ring all around.

The down side is you don't get the seal that the factory top ring has.

I hestitated to write this, because there are a lot of good folks who believe this will screw up their engine, and if you aren't careful it could. The old school guys who do my machining have been around the block a few times, they hang out on Saturday mornings, drink coffee and tell stories of when Garrlitts, Phrudome and Bernsteen were just kids. This was a milliion years before John Force. I trust their opinions :-)

rod

Bookmarks & Social Networks