Rear spring and shock hell!! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-12-2005, 06:41 PM   #1
Adkhunter
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 22430
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 and 2005 ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 Adkhunter Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Rear spring and shock hell!!

Yesterday I replaced my rear springs and shocks. It was the worst rear suspension job I have ever done.
Rust was not the problem and neither was the dirt ( I washed all that off prior to)

I first removed the wheel after jacking up the car, naturally.
Then I removed the shock that was trashed...after 100 k and all the dirt road I drive I probably should have done it two years ago. A big shame on me!!!!! LMBO!!!
Might I add, filling the car full of wood to burn couldn't have helped, I sure. I have done that numerous times.

So now it's time to remove the bolt that hold the rear hub assy on. Yeah right!!! 1/2" drive, 18" long breaker bar with the 15mm socket and a 4 foot cheater pipe. It was on so hard that the metal around the nut that is welded on the back side started to tear. Nice huh?
As I backed out the bolt there was so much pressure on the bolt it started to strip the top side of the nut. Then I couldn't even tighten it up. Out came the dremel tool and I cut the welds that held the nut in position and then cut the nut in two pieces. I still can't get the spring out!!!

I figured it was time to take the bolts out of the two other control arms. That went fine and then I was able to get the spring out without a problem. I grab the new spring and notice that the old spring is an inch shorter. Talk about compression!!!
After a bunch of grunting and groaning and a bit of foul language I was able to get the new one in. Then went back the control arm bolts and the new shock followed by the wheel.

The other side went about the same. What I had planned on taking me an hour tops took me 3 after many rest periods from the grunting and groaning.

A side note. Ever bolt that slid through a bushing was rusted to the bushing sleeve. If I ever do it again a set of spring compressors will be used.
Word to the wise, pay someone if you are not very inclined!!!! The car feels great again. Finally

2005 ZX4- White, 215 miles, the "becareful" car!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2005, 04:57 PM   #2
texascycle
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 3043
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 texascycle Good Standing Member
Dang ... I guess I will start calling some shops
Old 07-20-2005, 12:27 AM   #3
Focusmatt
Focus Addict

Fan#: 20057
What I Drive: 03 Infra Red SVTF

FF Reputation: 10 Focusmatt Great Standing Member
spring compressors i would have used those in the first place...auto zone 45 bucks to rent then return in one piece and get the 45 bucks back...would have saved about 45 min to an hour....we live we learn!!!!!

Focusmatt
03 Infra Red SVTF #0727 of 3985 / NW POSSE #24
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkyoda View Post
well said... focusmatt is a hater.
HATER OF ALL
Old 07-20-2005, 12:54 AM   #4
dwdgsi03
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2298
What I Drive: 2000 Midship Runabout

FF Reputation: 1 dwdgsi03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I did mine in like 2 1/2 hours. It's easy to do if you have the right tools and the rust isn't too bad.

Bookmarks & Social Networks