Focus Wagon Engine Build - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-18-2014, 09:33 PM   #1
eyopeyo
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 148546
What I Drive: 2002 Focus ZTW 5 SPD, Black

Points 196, Level 3
Points: 196, Level: 3 Points: 196, Level: 3 Points: 196, Level: 3
Level Up 92% Completed
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 eyopeyo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Focus Wagon Engine Build

OK, so heres the deal. I have a migh mileage MTX Focus ZTW and I have the suspension, brakes, exhaust and control arms all done.

I know its a wagon so I am not trying to make some insane drag monster because obviously choosing a wagon is a step backwards in that respect.

Heres what Im kinda looking to do

SVT Block(for dependability not all out performance)
Port and Polished Zetec Head

I have been looking at FI through a Roush Turbo System, used maybe new(my brother works at roush and just found out they do have extras)

Also looking into the 6 speed trans, I think that with better gearing maybe it would improve things a bit

So before i get egged for what has been tried or not, I am just looking to see what could be done to make the best overall Roush induction engine. I know it sounds dumb to use the roush stuff as there might be better optons available, my brothers bosses at Roush actually want to see what we can do with this wagon because they are kind of thinking about bringing back the roush turbo kit, but it would be like a 2.0 version. So any input would be very beneficial.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2014, 09:47 PM   #2
Burkeboy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 141633
What I Drive: 2004 Red SVT

Points 2,331, Level 29
Points: 2,331, Level: 29 Points: 2,331, Level: 29 Points: 2,331, Level: 29
Level Up 21% Completed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 1 Burkeboy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyopeyo View Post
Also looking into the 6 speed trans, I think that with better gearing maybe it would improve things a bit
The 6 speed is nice but a bit difficult to get parts for. like synchros and such
Old 08-18-2014, 10:05 PM   #3
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 51,311, Level 100
Points: 51,311, Level: 100 Points: 51,311, Level: 100 Points: 51,311, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 32%
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Roush will never bring back the Zetec turbo kit , it wasnt theres anyway it was a re-badged south county turbo kit that Turbonetics was making the parts for , when south county went out of business turbonetics picked it up and was going to add it to there kit list but roush stepped in and put there name on the parts just to give a little history on the kit , Roush stopped making the kit in about 2009-2010 and sold off the left over parts they had left or thats what they said last I talked to them

You need to decide on what your going to do with your Focus , NA or boost then people can better answer your questions and better direct you , in my pinion boost is the way to go

The SVT block is the same block as the Zetec so no need to spend the extra money , ported head wont help much unless your going to head north of 300hp to the wheels

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 08-18-2014, 11:19 PM   #4
eyopeyo
Focus Rookie

Points 196, Level 3
Level Up 92% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Just what Im getting from them

Normally I would agree with you, and i was talking with my brother over what you said and that is pretty much spot on. I guess the word is that the good folks ar roush are seeing how much their body panels and turbo kits are going for on the secondary market for that old roush focus and are kind of him hawing the idea, even if its a limited run of simply making the body panels... Im not privy to alot just what my brother was telling me. He works in their composit and fabrication dept, but gets to moonlight in powertrain when they get kinda slow over there.

I thought that the SVT block had the oil quirters and was slightly different.. Well thats pretty good to know.

Long to the short Im trying to build it up to have a good performing solid driveline, up the performance but I have absolutely no interest in running high octane for a daily driver lol
Old 08-18-2014, 11:25 PM   #5
eyopeyo
Focus Rookie

Points 196, Level 3
Level Up 92% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Sipster

If i had my way Id love to make a ford answer to the project sipster vw rabbit that was done on TopGear. I think it would be cool to get the kind of gains they had as well as mpg while staying on regular gas instead of diesel. but you know... wish in one hand...lol. It would be an interesting project to undertake because I dont think I've ever seen anyone try to tune a Focus that way. would you even be interested in helping me out on that Tom? A little bird tells me that you might know a little bit about these focuses! I actually bought the SVT Exhaust thats on my focus from MLBbaseball... I think he said you knew who he was
Old 08-19-2014, 04:51 AM   #6
eyopeyo
Focus Rookie

Points 196, Level 3
Level Up 92% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Basically with forced injection and whatever is necessary, I am trying to make a real world higher performance drivetrain. Probably not much I can do other than intake, exhaust and a tune. I mean, I know I am still a bit new to these Zetecs, but can you even go past 300 hp on regular gas?

Last edited by eyopeyo; 08-19-2014 at 05:51 AM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.