High compression, high RPM, large cam Zetec? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-17-2014, 12:26 PM   #1
Markedwardkarrer
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 169714
What I Drive: 2003 Silver Frost ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Markedwardkarrer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
High compression, high RPM, large cam Zetec?

Hello FF!

I have been planning on this build for quite some time, and I was curious if anyone has any insight on this type of build. I eventually wanted to turn my Zx3 into strictly hard surface track car and I think a NA motor would best. I'm going to be listing the internals only.

Parts I am considering are:

JE Sport Compact Forged Pistons 11:0:1 (oversize or not?)
OR
Supertech Piston 11:9:1??

Crower Stage 3 (or 4) Camshafts
Supertech Valves +1 mm intake and exhaust
Stock Bearings
Stock Crank
ARP bolts all around

Thanks everyone!

_Mark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2014, 03:03 PM   #2
GhostTribute
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107929
What I Drive: 2001 Mazda Tribute (2.0L Zetec)

FF Reputation: 1 GhostTribute Good Standing Member
What is your power goal and budget?

As much as people here seem to dislike building these engines.... I would say that if you are looking to go with a stage 3 and +1mm valves. 11:1 and oversize pistons are a must. Induction and exhaust upgrades are also a must. Have you taken any consideration into getting rid of the craplastic intake manifold and throttle body?

What type of racing are you looking at doing?

I currently have my 2.0L ZETEC at the shop getting fit up with some 86mm slugs, 11.5-12:1 compression ratio, +1mm valves, ported head, stage 2 comp cams, 24lb Cobra injectors and ITB's.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:10 PM   #3
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
What type of racing ? what are your class rules ?

What octane fuel do you plan to run ?

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 08-18-2014, 01:08 PM   #4
Markedwardkarrer
Focus Rookie

GhostTribute,

I'd like to see 225+WHP if that is reasonable staying NA. I haven't considered a new Intake Mani. yet. I have seen a few around from Ford Racing and TopSpeed parts but they are all supporting 400-500+ HP. How much power can the Stock Intake Mani. handle?

and Yes, I am considering the BBK TB and SVT MAF.

Exhaust upgrades have been taken care of, though I am still running stock TB and Intake Mani. and an FSwerks Air Intake system.

I haven't considered any class of racing yet. I just know that I want to the car to be able to handle a road course, I frequent Millville Motorsports Park in NJ.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:10 PM   #5
Markedwardkarrer
Focus Rookie

Tom,

I plan on running 93.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:14 PM   #6
Markedwardkarrer
Focus Rookie

Also..

Do high compression small engines like free flowing exhaust? Or some what restricted?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 08-18-2014, 08:11 PM   #7
GhostTribute
Focus Enthusiast

Depends on what you mean by Free Flowing and restricted.....

There are no engines that like exhaust restrictions and free flowing doesn't always mean laminar flow. The key in the exhaust is to maintain velocity. Which usually means keep a good ratio between the pipe size and the exhaust output of the engine.

Remember that all an engine is, is an air pump. The easier it is for the air to get in and out, the more efficient the pump. Velocity has been found to be a big key in these smaller displacement higher revving engines.

A properly executed 4-2-1 or 4-1 header with a merge collector and a 2.5" - 2.75" should be more than enough. Getting into 3"+ and you start to loose laminar flow, air starts to tumble and trip slowing down in the larger pathway. This kills power. The SVT header is a good example of a purpose designed 4-2-1 header. It uses a calculated length and diameter in the primary and secondary pipes to hit a certain power band as well as cylinder pairing to make use of the firing order. It has a scavenging effect.

There are some good fluid dynamic/exhaust system calculations, and a few calculators online, that can get use to get you in the ball park.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:17 PM   #8
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markedwardkarrer View Post
Also..

Do high compression small engines like free flowing exhaust? Or some what restricted?

Thanks,

Mark
On 93 your max compression I would go to would be about 10.2-10.5 and more then that and you will loose HP because of allowing for knock and lowering the timing
The SVT header and a 2.5 to 3 inch Exh is the best production header out there for what your wanting to do

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 08-18-2014, 09:51 PM   #9
GhostTribute
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
On 93 your max compression I would go to would be about 10.2-10.5 and more then that and you will loose HP because of allowing for knock and lowering the timing
The SVT header and a 2.5 to 3 inch Exh is the best production header out there for what your wanting to do

Tom
Doesn't the SVT run 10.2:1 on 91? Crazy that you can't get 11:1 on 93 with these things!
Old 08-19-2014, 06:16 AM   #10
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
FYI, oversize valves are a waste of cash unless the head is reworked in valve seat area to allow the oversize to work. The bowl throat has to be enlarged to complement the oversize. Otherwise the oversize part flows worse.

And while lots buy this..........

'The key in the exhaust is to maintain velocity.'

.....I'd like someone to explain why pretty much ALL engines make more power when you dump the exhaust quick into a low velocity situation, or atmospheric with unmeasurable open area (drag header), or how you can SLOW velocity down and make far more power in several different scenarios (expanding bell megaphone) or even worse stop the flow and make it go BACKWARDS (reverse bell on the rear of 2 stroke expansion chamber). How about crossover pipe joining both sides of dual exhaust, it certainly messes up laminar flow there and the doubling of area would lower velocity greatly. Yet more power is the result.

Not as simple as simply keeping the velocity up, it depends on the exhaust phenomenon you are looking for. You may well WANT to slow velocity down to get the effect you want, at least if dealing with a true tuned exhaust. Of course, full length pipes on car are not really that at all. Where the high velocity statement has some merit. You move toward high velocity to remove exhaust since true tuned exhaust does not function as well with pipe added after the tuned length.

Kinda hard to talk about laminar flow with exhaust plug firing down pipe like a stick of dynamite at the speed of sound, the pressure plug quickly runs away from the mass itself but inertia carries it along. Not much laminar going on in there in the first six feet of exhaust pipe to me. Simple explosion clearing out the pipe. And of course nothing laminar at all about the exhaust hitting open atmosphere. Messy at best.

'The easier it is for the air to get in and out, the more efficient the pump. Velocity has been found to be a big key........'

If velocity increases isn't that a sign that it should be harder to flow more through the air pump??? You always flow more with less velocity, i.e., the pipe is bigger and flows more, why bigger carb makes more power (usually).

Not trying to start any sort of a war but food for thought there for sure.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->