Why is it that the SVTF isn't a 1/4 mile car? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-09-2005, 04:38 PM   #11
RecoilRob
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21404
What I Drive: 04, CD Silver SVTF

FF Reputation: 8 RecoilRob Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
If the SVTF was set up properly to be a 1/4 mile car, you would stage at 5000 rpm, hard drop the clutch and you would have enough tire on the car that the tires would NOT spin. By the time the clutch had fully engaged, the car would have launched and never dropped below the 5 grand mark. Rev out to 7200 and pull second gear. The gearing would be such that the revs would only drop to 6000 or so and each gear would keep the engine spinning near the power peak. Through the traps at 7200 in either 5th or 6th at maybe 105 (you would need to experiment as to weather the additional gear change was costing you more time than the additional gearing).

If set up like that, I'd wager that the car would be a high 13 with the stock motor which DOES run good for a N/A 2 litre. On the street, the car above would be a pain in the butt. I like mine the way it is!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2005, 05:26 PM   #12
Spec3VR6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21309
What I Drive: 95 BMW M3

FF Reputation: 1 Spec3VR6 Good Standing Member
all it needs is some shorter gears. the car isnt all that heavy. It has enough power to run low 15's stock.....how is that different then starting with an rsx or a gti or an integra? All have similar power and run similar times on the quarter stock for stock.

its def. the gearing.....needs a peppier final drive.. or final drives i guess you should say. the getrag is a pretty serious transmission compared to most

pull the rear seats and the deck...and get some lighter wheels and youre already on your way. the svt wheels are [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] pigs.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:53 PM   #13
belacyrf
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6919
What I Drive: Blue 2002 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 belacyrf Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by DarkSVT
I understand that but the question is still there.

For example, the fastest Focus runs a 11.8 with 500+ hp, a similar RSX can run in the 10s.

Supercharged Foci can hardly break the 13's when other cars with the same power run a lot faster.

So, what's hindering the SVTF?
Actually the fastest focus is running 11.3 with 447 hp to the wheels. ;)
But just because the focus "can" run 11's does that mean it's a drag car? No.

The reason it is not a drag car is simple. 2.0 Liters NA
A honda civic is not a drag car, the focus is not a drag car, the SRT-4 in all it's might is not really a drag car, though it does well at it.

First FWD is not the typical drivetrain setup you would choose for a drag car.
2nd 2.0 liters is not enough displacement for a drag car.

Keep things in perspective. How much money does it take for this focus to be able to compete in a straight line with the likes of mustang GT's, corvettes, camaro's, firebirds etc... all the big displacment guys. Those are heavy tank-like vehicles (not including the vette) which all are built for the guys who just love to go fast in a straight line, but they take more work to hit the corners well. Where our cars take more work to go straight quickly.

Our cars are built around a fun nimble ride. The torque monsters are built around laying down rubber and going fast until they have to turn. Just look at the stregths of these cars and you reliaze where their niche is. Of course anything can change with enough money.. but it's not what this car is "about" per say.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:22 PM   #14
MARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 16196
What I Drive: 2004 COMP. ORANGE FOCUS ZX3 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 MARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
yep our svtf's are not for straight line drags... it's more like others say a autocross/backwoods twistys car... the gearings are great for entering corners and downshifting hard exsiting corners... i got bored of dragging with fwd, that's why i got my focus for a more realistic autotrack feeling for the twisties!!

CHEAP MODS:
CAI, 9mm FRPP wires, gapped .65 platinum motorcraft spark plugs, hacked off muffler and back res.

SVT Squad #10
Old 05-09-2005, 07:44 PM   #15
finalley
Focus Addict

Fan#: 386
What I Drive: 04SVTF, 03SVTF,08F150 4x4, 2013ST3

FF Reputation: 5 finalley Good Standing Member
ditto on the 1/4 mi drawbacks, but it's a great road/rally car. Especially when coupled with alittle more power.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:07 PM   #16
Focus Racer S2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 14203
What I Drive: 2002 Egg Yolk Yellow ZX3 ATX

FF Reputation: 1 Focus Racer S2 Good Standing Member
I would put the SVTF as one good street racing machine. Six speed and a good top speed. A good suspension and a nice engine and tranny setup can make the SVTF one of the best street racing machines out there. Just like the regular Focus do the same to it and you also get one of the best street machines out there. The Focus is what I like to call a Street Racing or Sport Compact entuthiast car.

But that's just my opinion anyway. Sure it's also fun to take it to the quarter mile every once and a while. I take mine when I wanna know how good it's running or if the mods are working. Of course you can find all that out in a street race but the track is also fun to drive.
<---<<Zetec Crew #66 / ATX Faction #21>>-->
To modify or not to modify ? ? ? That is the question right now ! ! !
Old 05-10-2005, 08:54 AM   #17
DarkSVT
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 377
What I Drive: 2003 Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 DarkSVT Good Standing Member
I dont mean a 1/4 mile car as a full-on racecar, I'm comparing to the bunch of Hondas/Acuras that with a few bolt-ons can run faster than the SVTF.

Hondas have the same problems: FWD, they have less power (stock) than the SVT, engines are smaller (the K20 is the only similar), so the only thing left is the weight and gearing.

Also, don't compare the SVTF to Mustangs or Corvettes, compare it to the other cars in the sport compact market.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:37 PM   #18
redsvtfoci
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 22850
What I Drive: red focus svt

FF Reputation: 1 redsvtfoci Good Standing Member
thats straight line stuff is not true if you want to make ur focus a drag car you got to have the money any car in sport compact can become what ever you want
SVT SQUAD #173
Old 05-10-2005, 02:00 PM   #19
DarkSVT
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 377
What I Drive: 2003 Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 DarkSVT Good Standing Member
What about using a smaller front tire to lower the gear ratio?

What is the smallest wheel that will fit on the SVTF? A 16? 15?
Old 05-10-2005, 02:12 PM   #20
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing MemberWD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
16" is it.
Unless you're willing to shell out the dough for something custom made.

Bookmarks & Social Networks