SCT/FS Chip Install/Review...... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-09-2005, 11:22 AM   #1
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
SCT/FS Chip Install/Review......

Well I finally got around to installing my SCT/FS chip (www.focussport.com) this past weekend. Installation went very smooth, pretty easy to do actually, about the most time consuming part was the sanding of the contacts as they are covered in a clear rubbery type material (along with the rest of the computer board). I followed the instructions off Ray's site on how to install a chip (link is under the HOW TO ARCHIVE in my signature) as well as directions that Randy from FS gave me over the phone. Installation took about 45 minutes but I definitely took my time.

On my chip I got several programs but as requested I had a 'LOW OCTANE' performance file/program on my chip, so I set it to that since my gas tank had about 1/4 of 87 left in it. First impressions, the car has ALOT more pull in the higher RPM range plus the car runs extremely smooth, even the shifts are smoother (and I got a MTX for the record so even though that sounds strange, it's true). I've put about 100 miles on since the install, the car idles very very smoothy at the lights or sitting parked somewhere. The car also doesn't seem to have as much 'lag' when you leave a light. Assuming it's due to the EGR disable that is programmed onto the chip (probably the reason for the smooth engine idle also) among the other chip programming.

So for my low octane setting (87), I seriously did notice a performance gain mostly in the high RPM range but definitely across the band as well as a very smooth running engine, hard to explain but the car runs amazing.

Tonight or tomorrow I'm going to fill it with 91 octane and switch to the 'performance' programs on the chip, will reply back to this thread then to see what other gains I will get, assuming there will be more noticeable ones since the performance files have the ignition timing advanced. Will update then......

HUGE PROPS go out to Randy at FocusSport!!!!!

http://www.focussport.com/chips.htm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2005, 02:41 PM   #2
fokuzx3
teh tranny killer

Fan#: 15685
What I Drive: r.i.p. liquid grey zx3....now 300zx

FF Reputation: 1 fokuzx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
cool stuff..i was going to go with the fs sct but ray talked me outa it when i ordered cams from him, so i ordered his custom sct with my setup as well...how do you think they would compare? about the same?
zetec crew #23
zetec R.I.P. best standing 1/4 time= 15.260 @88.08 mph (2.275 60)
Quote:
Originally Posted by warneej View Post
it takes a minute to get used to, kinda like shaving your balls.. haha
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2005, 03:22 PM   #3
S2
Retired Fanatic

Honestly I don't know, I've never seen a chip from Ray or been in a car with one, etc. so I can't comment. I know Randy has literally years of experience on his programming as well as several hundreds of chips out there under his belt. Either way, can't comment cause I honestly don't know about Ray's chips.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:15 PM   #4
fokuzx3
teh tranny killer

Fan#: 15685
What I Drive: r.i.p. liquid grey zx3....now 300zx

FF Reputation: 1 fokuzx3 Good Standing Member
well, when i called ray he set me up with some stage II fr cams and esslinger cam gears and then i told him i was going to get a chip from fs but he said he would make me a custom chip for the setup i have..like with the type of intake i have, iceman, he said theres a difference on how the air comes in via a panel filter or cone like you have, so he burns accordingly...ill post up on it when all the stuff comes in, i live in montgomery so prob gonna take it awhile since i just ordered it last monday.
zetec crew #23
zetec R.I.P. best standing 1/4 time= 15.260 @88.08 mph (2.275 60)
Quote:
Originally Posted by warneej View Post
it takes a minute to get used to, kinda like shaving your balls.. haha
Old 05-09-2005, 05:30 PM   #5
S2
Retired Fanatic

Yeah that's the same thing Randy does, every chip is custom burned depending on your mods, programs you want, etc... pretty common practice in the tuning industry.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:49 PM   #6
sport climber
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 21530
What I Drive: 2001 silver zx3, atx

FF Reputation: 1 sport climber Good Standing Member
sorry i posted wrong, where do you get chips and how much do they cost
Old 05-09-2005, 08:05 PM   #7
hEaT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 20699
What I Drive: 2013 Oxford White Focus ST

Points 3,049, Level 33
Points: 3,049, Level: 33 Points: 3,049, Level: 33 Points: 3,049, Level: 33
Level Up 99% Completed
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 11 hEaT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Nice. How do you change tunes? With jumpers on the chip?
ZETEC Crew #49

Quote:
Originally posted by DrkKnight614
......hmm if that works then if i put a spinner on my butt hole and rip one will i be able to run faster. ...idiots
Old 05-09-2005, 09:10 PM   #8
S2
Retired Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by sport climber
sorry i posted wrong, where do you get chips and how much do they cost
They vary depending on what programming you want. Check it out at www.focussport.com/chips.htm
Old 05-09-2005, 09:12 PM   #9
S2
Retired Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by hEaT
Nice. How do you change tunes? With jumpers on the chip?
The SCT chips come with a program switch so basically there is a wiring harness attached to the actual chip and then you place the 'switch' wherever you want (mine is in my glovebox for the time being).

You can see a picture of it below..... (the switch is in the top right corner and you can see the wiring harness and wire coming from the actual chip.)

Old 05-09-2005, 09:15 PM   #10
S2
Retired Fanatic

UPDATE

I filled up my car with Premium (91 octane) tonight, damn even more performance. It's got even more pull in the high end,. By far the most noticeable mod I've done to my car yet. It's like a night and day difference. I still can't believe how well the car is running, perfectly smooth at idle (and other times like at cruising speeds, etc), very little lag in the low rpm range, BIG change to the acceleration in the higher RPM range.

So far I've tried out three of the programs on the chip, the stock setting, the low octane setting and the performance setting (91 octane). There is still 4 other programs on the chip, one more performance one and three 'valet' or 'car disable' programs.

Once again, this chip is amazing, huge props to FocusSport (especially Randy)!!!!!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.