Bad track night!! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-07-2005, 12:50 AM   #1
AZFocus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 20856
What I Drive: 02 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 AZFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Bad track night!!

First time out with my SVT tonight at Firebird . The best I could muster was a 16.00 @ 89mph. I only have an AEM cold air on it right now and I just ordered the hypnotic tune and a Steeda STS. I thought I'd do better, my car sucks!!!!!!!!!!J/K I'm just a little bummed about it. Tell me they get faster and it's worth modding them, because right now I'm thinking about selling it and building the crap out of a 5.0.

"Wear a cup when you skate"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2005, 12:52 AM   #2
Daeron
Focus Addict

Fan#: 20554
What I Drive: 03 Pitch Black SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 Daeron Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
they get faster...compared to stock, you are about half a second slow...with a few boltons and a tune, you can easily get into the mid to upper 14s...just remember that our cars aren't as good a performer in the 1/4 mile as they are in a slalom or autocross course.
#2277 of 3985 born on 5/27/03
SVT Squad #20

SCT XCal2 (Hypnotic), AEM CAI, VR rear engine mount, FC ORP, FRPP STS, FC 2pc UDP, Eibach Pro-Kit springs/KYB AGX dampers, FRPP HIDs, Sony CDX-M8815X, Pioneer TS-A6880R front speakers, 16" Rota Grid (Royal Gunmetal) w/Falken Azenis RT615's

2004 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra Convertible, Mystichrome
#292 of 1896
Old 05-07-2005, 12:57 AM   #3
Toolman00
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2744
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4x4

FF Reputation: 3 Toolman00 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Well, I'm no pro at driving stick, but your next mod should be some racing classes. Nothing like modding the driver first.

They should run mid 15's stock, but it really depends on lots of variables... launching at 4k helps, but it's hard on the clutch.

If you want straight line acceleration you bought the wrong car. If you want something that handles and brakes better than most vehicles on the road, you have the right car.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:39 AM   #4
AZFocus
Focus Rookie

I can drive the car. I launched a little hard and spun all the way through first when I ran a 16.0. The next time I just feathered it and it started from 2k and slowly spun up to 7k. It's a little hard to launch, but I think it's just a bad night. My best 60' time was 2.5, is that about normal or a little slow? Everybody out there I talked to wasn't running what they thought they could.

Old 05-07-2005, 02:55 AM   #5
no_peg
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18993
What I Drive: '02 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 1 no_peg Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I'm from AZ too (up in flagstaff) and that sounds just about right for phoenix. First off Phoenix/ firebird raceway sits at about 2000 ft above sea level. it's not to much but definitley enough to effect your times compared to sea level. Secondly when you got that 16.0 you definitley rev'd too high. Those tracks are ultra sticky and you shouldn't be spinning out all the way through 1st. That's a tell tale sign that you launched too high. But still, that's a decent time and just keep working at it. But like everybody else said, Foci aren't built for 1/4 mile, their built for the turns!
Old 05-07-2005, 11:06 AM   #6
AZFocus
Focus Rookie

You're all right about it not being a quarter mile car, it does like being thrown into a corner super hard. Then it smiles holds on and slams your head against the window like an F/A-18.

Is Firebird really that high? I thought it was around 1500 or so at best.

Old 05-07-2005, 02:19 PM   #7
crazymechanic
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12900
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 crazymechanic Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
you might want to try shifting around 6600 instead of 7000. my car ran a 15.7 on an uphill track with just a drop in K&N, short shifter, and rear engine mount from vf.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:59 PM   #8
Spec3VR6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21309
What I Drive: 95 BMW M3

FF Reputation: 1 Spec3VR6 Good Standing Member
2.5 60' is terrible. a good 60' on street tires is 2.0-2.1...and stock that should new you deep into 15's without a problem
Old 05-07-2005, 04:50 PM   #9
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Moving to ”Racing, Rally & Autocross”...
Old 05-07-2005, 04:59 PM   #10
mike 1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 19248
What I Drive: 2006 Subaru WRX STi

FF Reputation: 1 mike 1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
when my svt was bone stock i went a 15.56 at 90mph what i was doing was launching at
5 thousand rpm and rideing the clutch out the key with the svt is is to keep the rev's up
if you do not it bogs in first gear and you are going to spin off the line thats just how you have to lunch them

Mike S.

Bookmarks & Social Networks