Speakers - which brand do you like & why? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-12-2014, 10:54 AM   #11
pablo94sc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104464
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue SE Sport 5dr (5spd)

FF Reputation: 1 pablo94sc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrosilver07 View Post
I am a fan of Morel speakers. They use silk tweeters which I find for my ears to be very pleasing. They are very smooth and do not have the tinny sound of an aluminum tweeter. Which will allow me to play music louder for longer periods of time without having ear fatigue. However at lower more reasonable volumes the detail is still there. Plus most of their speakers are designed straight from their home audio products. They also only build speakers so they know what they are doing.

I also feel that the mid-range is very good and gives the true sound of an instrument rather then sounding artificial.

I listen to all types of music ranging from rock all the way to light vocals and everything in between.

They can get pricey depending on what series you are using but all of them are worth it. Over the years I have used many other brand of speakers (JL ZR components, Polk SR components, Boston Acoustics Z series, Focal K2P components) but have always found myself going back to the Morel's.

I am currently running the Elate 3-way components in my Mrk1.5. Midbass in the door, midrange and tweeter in the A-pillars.
This is what I wanted to read. I totally understand about some tweeters being too bright and causing fatigue. I noticed that with the Hertz HS components I listened to, but the clarity was astounding. The Energy components were less clear which gave the impression of more mid-bass - something I enjoyed with Memphis PR's in my other cars. The compromise was the HS 2-way coax, but I'm not sure how a coax will stage in the MKIII without the high-mount tweeters, or if it could be blended with the stock tweeters without sounding like poo.

There are no Morel dealers that I can find locally for an audition, so any chance you could relate their reproduction to, say, B&Ws 803s? Those are, to my ears, the cleanest, purest reproduction of sound I have ever had the pleasure of listening to - like an angel whispering in my ears.

What do you think of a class D amp driving Morels, like the 45W/ch Alpine? Should I look for something a little more powerful to give the spider/voice coil a fighting chance? Maybe upgrade to a class A/B amp?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2014, 08:40 PM   #12
Jeffrosilver07
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104592
What I Drive: 2007 Silver Focus SE

FF Reputation: 3 Jeffrosilver07 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo94sc View Post
What do you think of a class D amp driving Morels, like the 45W/ch Alpine? Should I look for something a little more powerful to give the spider/voice coil a fighting chance? Maybe upgrade to a class A/B amp?
I personally run class AB amps on my Morel speakers instead of class D. Class D tend to be a little bright for my liking where as class AB sound warmer. I don't mind running class-D amps on subwoofers because they do very well with putting out a lot of power in a compact design.

In my opinion if you were to use Morel speakers I would recommend at least 75w a channel (depending on which series). Just remember the more power you have the more headroom you have. You can always turn down a powerful amplifier which helps lower the distortion because the amp doesn't have to work as hard to put the power down.

My Morel front speakers are being run active right now (no external crossovers being used). I have 200w to each mid bass, 100w to each midrange, and 100w to each tweeter. Total front stage power is 800w RMS. I have 640w to my subwoofer. I am using two Mosconi class AB 4-channel amps right now.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:26 AM   #13
mechanizeddeath
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 135913
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Metallic SE

FF Reputation: 1 mechanizeddeath Good Standing Member
I always ran cheap speakers. Kenwood. Pioneer. Clarion. I did a reasonably good job installing them though, (or so I thought) and so I always liked the sound.

I think that out of all of my installs, the one that sounded the best (to me) was in my Cutlass. Pioneer 3.5s in the front, Rockford Fosgate 6x9s in the back that I literally pulled out of a junkyard, and a pair of Kenwood 10" subs in the trunk. Not only did it sound great, but it also had the lowest cost of anything I've ever thrown together. The subs were free from a friend and the rear speakers came as part of a flat fee from pulling a box of stuff from another Cutlass to fix mine.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:45 AM   #14
pablo94sc
Focus Enthusiast

That's one hell of a setup you have Jeff. As much as I'd like to have a setup in my car that rivals my home system, it just isn't going to happen. My days of dropping $$$ on a stereo system are long gone - unless I win the lottery, then I'll buy the B&W 803s I've always wanted. :D

Sounds like I'm looking at a more powerful amp than the Alpine if I want to run higher class speakers. If what I've heard is true, the (Sony?) HU that Ford is using for the Non-MFT Sync systems compresses the signal at higher volumes, so a good amp with some gain control should help with that. Would you think this is a product of the HU tuning, or a possible processor/crossover somewhere in the system like the 10-speaker Sony system has?

If class D amps are brighter than AB, then would using a warmer sounding speaker help neutral things out, like how McIntosh amps always had their own sound, no matter the speaker used? I prefer a warmer sound, but in the car a little brighter/more open sound may help the highs shine through.

Again, I'm trying to keep everything to around $500, passive system, with the stock HU. With all this in mind -

Any 75W+/ch amps you like with speaker-level inputs that might fit in the center console area of the MKIII? For reference, the Alpine dimensions are: 7-7/8"W x 1-1/2"H x 2-9/16"D. The less wires I have to run, the better. ;)

In the home audio world, I've noticed that lesser speakers sound poor no matter the amp driving them, but great speakers still sound above average on a lesser amp. Does this follow in car audio as well? Would you recommend spending more on the speakers and less on the amp, assuming power levels are adequate to properly drive the speakers?

Finally, what system would you build with this criteria?

Note - listened to some Polk 6.5" coax and liked them, but then remembered that once I got them in my Saab and Supra (respectively), they lost all ability to produce bass worth a flip. Not cool for a guy that likes Rush.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:52 PM   #15
Jeffrosilver07
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks for the compliment on my system. I have the whole build somewhere on this forum. I, just like you also enjoy a good home system. My home system right now are some polk audio towers I picked up a while ago. The reason I spend more on my car system then my home system is because I have more time to listen while driving then when I'm home. Plus I don't want my 5 year old to destroy a good set of home speakers.

No matter which way you go for your car, I would recommend more power then less power. I just feel you can make a system sound better with more power. A class-D amp sounds like it will be the best solution for you because you need something compact. Take a look into the Alpine PDR line of amps.

I feel the same way you do about home speakers. Lesser speakers sound worse no matter what the amp. I think that might be the case because a home speaker can't hide. Meaning they are in a controlled quiet room where in a car there is a lot that is going on. (hope that made sense) Every time I do an audio system in my car I try to mimic what a home system would be, hence that is why I sound deaden the snot out of my cars.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:17 PM   #16
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

FF Reputation: 22 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
Build threads for Jeff,

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299559

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312419

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=317028

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 08-13-2014, 09:52 PM   #17
pablo94sc
Focus Enthusiast

I'll check out the build at work tomorrow.

My reference speakers at home are lacking at the moment due to the room acoustics - they sound hollow unless I sit in the sweet spot or cranl them, if that makes sense. This is why I'm wanting to upgrade the car's system.

I am starting to think that if I had more information on things like the HU tuning and HU's EQ frequencies and Q, I could source some separates like Silver Flutes and install those without having to revert to a passive components. Now how to get that from Ford. Lol

I'll look into the Alpine amps you mentioned as well. I frequently use all the available space in the car, so the more compact the install, the better. Note - you can get 10 rolls of R-13 insulation in a '12 hatchback. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:32 PM   #18
pablo94sc
Focus Enthusiast

That build is way more impressive than anything I plan on doing in my car. Nice!

Wanted to ask - how do you get the suede to mold to the a-pillars like that, and does it help with reducing unwanted re/deflections in the wave form for better imaging... or is it just cool looking? LOL
Old 08-14-2014, 05:32 PM   #19
Jeffrosilver07
Focus Enthusiast

To get the suede to mold around the pods was from a lot of pulling and stretching. Very tedious. As far as the imaging, that is from the angle. I didn't do to much of an angle on the pillars because they looked really out of place. It sounds great the way the angles are now and doesn't look out of place.

I plan on changing the entire way it looks this winter only because I'm tired with the look. Its been this way for almost two years. Time for a change.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:40 PM   #20
pablo94sc
Focus Enthusiast

I'm sure you'll have no trouble selling those a-pillars.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->