Speakers - which brand do you like & why? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control


Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2014, 04:59 PM   #1
pablo94sc
Focus Enthusiast
 
pablo94sc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Fan#: 104464
Location: Memphis, TN
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue SE Sport 5dr (5spd)

Posts: 155
Points 494, Level 9
Points: 494, Level: 9 Points: 494, Level: 9 Points: 494, Level: 9
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 pablo94sc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Speakers - which brand do you like & why?

I'm finally starting to get the urge to upgrade the speakers in my SE (6-speaker system). Frankly, I find the overall sound produced by the stockers to be pretty good, as well as the staging, but the mid-range starts to get muddy and mid-bass causes flutter when turned up above 8.

I know a lot of people like the Alpine amp, so I'll probably stick with that or similar to keep things tidy, but in regards to speakers, everyone has their opinion. 'd like to hear yours - specifically why you chose X speaker. Is it because you like rap and dance music with heavy bass, or do you prefer classical and jazz? Price? Did you go 2/3-ways in the doors or stick with components? Did the staging change (better/worse)? How about the clarity? Where you able to neutral out your EQ after the change, or did you still have to fiddle with it?

Me, I've gotten great sound from Memphis Audio's PR line of speakers in the past and they are fairly inexpensive (~$100/pr), but I'm open to change. I listen to a little of everything, but if I had to pick one genre, I'd say I mostly listen to late 70's through mid 80's pop/rock music in the car - think Casey Kasem's American Top 40.

So what are your thoughts, opinions, and suggestions? Any brands that are win-win no matter the genre? Anyone have Focal, DLS, Morel, or Rainbow in their car - worth the extra coin?

Thanks!

PS: I haven't had a lot of luck with Polk. Clear but no bass, and a sub is not in the picture (space/$$$).


pablo94sc is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-08-2014, 02:18 AM   #2
sailor
"Elder"
 
sailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Fan#: 57268
Location: Williamsville, NY
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Posts: 15,734
Points 10,941, Level 69
Points: 10,941, Level: 69 Points: 10,941, Level: 69 Points: 10,941, Level: 69
Level Up 23% Completed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 74 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Moved to the Car Audio section for more/better answers.
__________________
"Rubber Side Down"

S.R. #275
sailor is online now  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2014, 03:49 PM   #3
pablo94sc
Focus Enthusiast
 
pablo94sc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Fan#: 104464
Location: Memphis, TN
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue SE Sport 5dr (5spd)

Posts: 155
Points 494, Level 9
Points: 494, Level: 9 Points: 494, Level: 9 Points: 494, Level: 9
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 pablo94sc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Moved to the Car Audio section for more/better answers.
Look at all these answers!

I wanted specific input from people with a MKIII Focus. If I wanted generic car audio advice, I'd have asked it on a car audio forum - places where I already read about 500 different reviews, none of which applied to my specific car.

Now will you please move it back? Thanks.
pablo94sc is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2014, 05:01 PM   #4
Deftmetal
Moderator
 
Deftmetal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Fan#: 105884
Location: Pennant sk, Canada
What I Drive: 2014 Mazda 3

Posts: 7,435
Points 5,968, Level 50
Points: 5,968, Level: 50 Points: 5,968, Level: 50 Points: 5,968, Level: 50
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 9 Deftmetal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo94sc View Post
Look at all these answers!

I wanted specific input from people with a MKIII Focus. If I wanted generic car audio advice, I'd have asked it on a car audio forum - places where I already read about 500 different reviews, none of which applied to my specific car.

Now will you please move it back? Thanks.
Your question is generic. If you had asked about aiming, positioning, enclosure size, reaching sound deadening locations, or other things only about your model then the thread would still belong here.


I e been looking at speakers today and have heard some impressive stuff. I haven't owned any of the brands that I thought sounded best. So I can't really comment on them. All I know is their is a lot of looking around that I will have to do and lots to listen to.
__________________
Rally Revolution #14
Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Don't hate on an amputee chick that's still playing with lego's.
Deftmetal is online now  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2014, 05:56 PM   #5
freemind
Vince your Moderator
 
freemind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Fan#: 67513
Location: Seattle, WA
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

Posts: 4,377
Points 6,210, Level 51
Points: 6,210, Level: 51 Points: 6,210, Level: 51 Points: 6,210, Level: 51
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 24 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (22)
My PPI 356cs comps. Why? Because they are rebranded A/D/S 346cs and sound awesome.

Outside of that, Hybrid Audio.

Then, Silver Flute mids(very affordable on Madisound)
__________________
133whp-126ftlbsTQ Eclipse CD8443,Eclipse PA5422, JBL GTO751EZ, PPI 356cs(Rebranded A/D/S 346cs), JBL p1024, SubThump enclosure, RAAmat BXT, Damplifier Pro

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
freemind is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2014, 10:07 PM   #6
Jeffrosilver07
Focus Enthusiast
 
Jeffrosilver07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Fan#: 104592
Location: Somewhere, MD
What I Drive: 2007 Silver Focus SE

Posts: 116
Points 495, Level 9
Points: 495, Level: 9 Points: 495, Level: 9 Points: 495, Level: 9
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 Jeffrosilver07 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I am a fan of Morel speakers. They use silk tweeters which I find for my ears to be very pleasing. They are very smooth and do not have the tinny sound of an aluminum tweeter. Which will allow me to play music louder for longer periods of time without having ear fatigue. However at lower more reasonable volumes the detail is still there. Plus most of their speakers are designed straight from their home audio products. They also only build speakers so they know what they are doing.

I also feel that the mid-range is very good and gives the true sound of an instrument rather then sounding artificial.

I listen to all types of music ranging from rock all the way to light vocals and everything in between.

They can get pricey depending on what series you are using but all of them are worth it. Over the years I have used many other brand of speakers (JL ZR components, Polk SR components, Boston Acoustics Z series, Focal K2P components) but have always found myself going back to the Morel's.

I am currently running the Elate 3-way components in my Mrk1.5. Midbass in the door, midrange and tweeter in the A-pillars.
Jeffrosilver07 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2014, 10:15 PM   #7
freemind
Vince your Moderator
 
freemind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Fan#: 67513
Location: Seattle, WA
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

Posts: 4,377
Points 6,210, Level 51
Points: 6,210, Level: 51 Points: 6,210, Level: 51 Points: 6,210, Level: 51
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 24 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (22)
I do need to ask if your access holes are sealed off in your doors or not? Doing so improves your midbass greatly. Are you using any soundproofing? MDF baffles/rings for your mids?

You can make expensive speakers sound bad and cheap speakers sound great,

Everything is in the install.
__________________
133whp-126ftlbsTQ Eclipse CD8443,Eclipse PA5422, JBL GTO751EZ, PPI 356cs(Rebranded A/D/S 346cs), JBL p1024, SubThump enclosure, RAAmat BXT, Damplifier Pro

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
freemind is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2014, 10:19 PM   #8
Deftmetal
Moderator
 
Deftmetal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Fan#: 105884
Location: Pennant sk, Canada
What I Drive: 2014 Mazda 3

Posts: 7,435
Points 5,968, Level 50
Points: 5,968, Level: 50 Points: 5,968, Level: 50 Points: 5,968, Level: 50
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 9 Deftmetal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrosilver07 View Post
I am a fan of Morel speakers. They use silk tweeters which I find for my ears to be very pleasing. They are very smooth and do not have the tinny sound of an aluminum tweeter. Which will allow me to play music louder for longer periods of time without having ear fatigue. However at lower more reasonable volumes the detail is still there. Plus most of their speakers are designed straight from their home audio products. They also only build speakers so they know what they are doing.

I also feel that the mid-range is very good and gives the true sound of an instrument rather then sounding artificial.

I listen to all types of music ranging from rock all the way to light vocals and everything in between.

They can get pricey depending on what series you are using but all of them are worth it. Over the years I have used many other brand of speakers (JL ZR components, Polk SR components, Boston Acoustics Z series, Focal K2P components) but have always found myself going back to the Morel's.

I am currently running the Elate 3-way components in my Mrk1.5. Midbass in the door, midrange and tweeter in the A-pillars.

I was listening to some focal speakers today. Their most recent model was more to my liking than the old model. 2 way components. The new ones had a much brighter sound and really shined for vocal only tracks. They are what I'm leaning towards the most right now.
__________________
Rally Revolution #14
Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Don't hate on an amputee chick that's still playing with lego's.
Deftmetal is online now  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2014, 10:32 PM   #9
Jeffrosilver07
Focus Enthusiast
 
Jeffrosilver07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Fan#: 104592
Location: Somewhere, MD
What I Drive: 2007 Silver Focus SE

Posts: 116
Points 495, Level 9
Points: 495, Level: 9 Points: 495, Level: 9 Points: 495, Level: 9
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 Jeffrosilver07 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemind View Post
I do need to ask if your access holes are sealed off in your doors or not? Doing so improves your midbass greatly. Are you using any soundproofing? MDF baffles/rings for your mids?

You can make expensive speakers sound bad and cheap speakers sound great,

Everything is in the install.
THIS^^ When I sound deaden I usually go overboard with it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftmetal View Post
I was listening to some focal speakers today. Their most recent model was more to my liking than the old model. 2 way components. The new ones had a much brighter sound and really shined for vocal only tracks. They are what I'm leaning towards the most right now.
Focals are not bad speakers at all. My only complaint with some of their higher end speakers are that the tweeters were a little to bright/harsh for my ears. But hey everyone's ear is different. You would not be making a bad choice with Focals, I used them for about a year (many years ago) and beat the snot out of them and they never blew up.
Jeffrosilver07 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2014, 06:15 PM   #10
Nijmatic
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Fan#: 181753
Location: Surrey, Canada
What I Drive: Gunmetal Grey 2011 Ford Focus SES

Posts: 2
FF Reputation: 1 Nijmatic Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Call me old school but I love the sound of MB Quart. Hooked into soundstream amp and AVI subs
Nijmatic is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Cadillac ATS-V, Ford Fusion and Acura TLX. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.