"Entertainment Center" Swap- Possible? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control


Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2014, 09:17 AM   #11
Xanatos903
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Fan#: 181393
Location: Kerrville, TX
What I Drive: 2012 SE

Posts: 5
FF Reputation: 1 Xanatos903 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleSh0t View Post
I have what you're looking to swap in on my 2013. It's... okay. The bluetooth phone part works for the most part, but Bluetooth Audio is a nightmare. The USB playback works sometimes, but randomly stops displaying track information. Honestly, for the money, there are MUCH better options out there.
Lol, so looks like this shouldn't be considered if I care about functionality or quality. I guess I'll start doing some research into aftermarket systems.
Xanatos903 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-06-2014, 12:17 PM   #12
Mr Orange SVT
Focus Enthusiast
 
Mr Orange SVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Fan#: 10430
Location: McHenry, IL
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange SVT #906

Posts: 325
FF Reputation: 2 Mr Orange SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I know this is off topic but as I read through this thread and others like it, it just convinces me more to keep my SVT. The Alpine in the dash works great. I've never had playing issues with the iPod stowed in the glovebox and the Sirius and wheel controls all work great!

I now return this thread to it's normal broadcast topic...
__________________
Mods: K&N air filter, Borla CAT back center exit exhaust, Alpine Stereo with Focal speakers, Eibach Suspension.
Mr Orange SVT is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:13 PM   #13
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict
 
Arco-Zakus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Fan#: 101658
Location: Fremont, CA
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

Posts: 868
FF Reputation: 10 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Orange SVT View Post
I know this is off topic but as I read through this thread and others like it, it just convinces me more to keep my SVT. The Alpine in the dash works great. I've never had playing issues with the iPod stowed in the glovebox and the Sirius and wheel controls all work great!

I now return this thread to it's normal broadcast topic...
I know what you mean. Sometimes newer is not necessarily better. (Says the guy with the 24 year old car. I don't need no stinking bluetooth...)
__________________
2014 SGM SE Sport Package Sedan, 5-speed manual
1990 Polar White Acura Integra GS 3-door (now for sale)
Arco-Zakus is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:25 PM   #14
Mr Orange SVT
Focus Enthusiast
 
Mr Orange SVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Fan#: 10430
Location: McHenry, IL
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange SVT #906

Posts: 325
FF Reputation: 2 Mr Orange SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arco-Zakus View Post
I know what you mean. Sometimes newer is not necessarily better. (Says the guy with the 24 year old car. I don't need no stinking bluetooth...)
__________________
Mods: K&N air filter, Borla CAT back center exit exhaust, Alpine Stereo with Focal speakers, Eibach Suspension.
Mr Orange SVT is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:01 PM   #15
suss6052
Focus Addict
 
suss6052's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95752
Location: ..., MI
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Posts: 12,381
FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleSh0t View Post
I have what you're looking to swap in on my 2013. It's... okay. The bluetooth phone part works for the most part, but Bluetooth Audio is a nightmare. The USB playback works sometimes, but randomly stops displaying track information. Honestly, for the money, there are MUCH better options out there.
I've not had that experience, USB always works, phone works any time I use it, and I don't much care about bluetooth audio.

Both the basic sync system and the full MFT worked far better than the MyLink system in every single respect.
__________________
Moderator for: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus
suss6052 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #16
DoubleSh0t
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Fan#: 24900
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black SE Hatch

Posts: 16
FF Reputation: 1 DoubleSh0t Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
I've not had that experience, USB always works, phone works any time I use it, and I don't much care about bluetooth audio.

Both the basic sync system and the full MFT worked far better than the MyLink system in every single respect.
I've had my car at the dealer 3 times for SYNC system and each time they've reflashed it. The the last time they put a new module in. They still can't seem to get it to work.
DoubleSh0t is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:18 PM   #17
FocusBastard
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Fan#: 103053
Location: Montreal, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus SE Hatch, 5spd

Posts: 52
FF Reputation: 2 FocusBastard Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
I've not had that experience, USB always works, phone works any time I use it, and I don't much care about bluetooth audio.



Both the basic sync system and the full MFT worked far better than the MyLink system in every single respect.

In my case it's not so much that it doesn't work, but basic stuff Apple figured out in 2001 are still problematic.

Just getting a track listing is infuriatingly difficult. You don't even get a scrollbar to see how far down the list you are, and no indication which folder you're in.

Voice interface "works" but stops listening 3 seconds in so of you're trying to ask for a specific podcast episode, it never works.

If your metadata is perfect, voice works fine. If there's any tag missing or out of place, you will never be able to call the track.

To add insult to injury, it cannot index Unicode tracks at all, and when you plug a phone in, all you get is a dumb ford logo on the screen so YOUR OBLY OPTION is the half assed voice recog.

I don't know what other manufacturers are doing, but I had the OEM MyGig touchscreen in my 2008 Dodge Charger and it was incredible by comparison. If they've kept up with the times, their system is likely one of the best ones out there.
FocusBastard is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:13 AM   #18
mechanizeddeath
Focus Enthusiast
 
mechanizeddeath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Fan#: 135913
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Metallic SE

Posts: 180
FF Reputation: 1 mechanizeddeath Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I feel your pain. I do like the factory system for the level of integration it offers, but the sound quality is lacking and there are other shortcomings. At least in my case, I have the mid-level model with the smaller color screen and Sirius/Bluetooth. The base model is severely lacking and it seems like there are more complaints about the top-shelf MFT model than there are about the DCT.

Anyway, I think the biggest problem is my age, I'm pushing 40 and grew up back in the day when we'd go to great lengths to get decent or even amazing sound in our cars. (Or at least rattle the foundations of buildings in a 10 block radius.) I suppose if I was half my age, I'd be content with some compressed and autotuned garbage pushed through an anemic paper cone speaker, but that isn't the case.

So now I'm faced with the choice of an ugly dash kit and the loss of some/all of the factory integration (unsure, haven't researched that much) or else I go the route of an active line out converter, and hoping that even my aging ears find that compromise acceptable.

Really missing those days when I could just swap out one rectangular audio device for another and see an instant improvement.
mechanizeddeath is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:43 AM   #19
FocusBastard
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Fan#: 103053
Location: Montreal, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus SE Hatch, 5spd

Posts: 52
FF Reputation: 2 FocusBastard Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanizeddeath View Post
I feel your pain. I do like the factory system for the level of integration it offers, but the sound quality is lacking and there are other shortcomings. At least in my case, I have the mid-level model with the smaller color screen and Sirius/Bluetooth. The base model is severely lacking and it seems like there are more complaints about the top-shelf MFT model than there are about the DCT.

Anyway, I think the biggest problem is my age, I'm pushing 40 and grew up back in the day when we'd go to great lengths to get decent or even amazing sound in our cars. (Or at least rattle the foundations of buildings in a 10 block radius.) I suppose if I was half my age, I'd be content with some compressed and autotuned garbage pushed through an anemic paper cone speaker, but that isn't the case.

So now I'm faced with the choice of an ugly dash kit and the loss of some/all of the factory integration (unsure, haven't researched that much) or else I go the route of an active line out converter, and hoping that even my aging ears find that compromise acceptable.

Really missing those days when I could just swap out one rectangular audio device for another and see an instant improvement.
I know that feel.

Here, http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324097

I'll be looking into that once I get some free time. Should fix sound quality woes at least.
FocusBastard is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:42 AM   #20
sailor
"Elder"
 
sailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Fan#: 57268
Location: Williamsville, NY
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Posts: 13,361
FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Moved to the Car Audio section for easier reference.
__________________
"Rubber Side Down"

S.R. #275
sailor is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.