want new speakers - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-04-2005, 01:38 PM   #1
elliottcarlose
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11597
What I Drive: 2000 Green ZX3, 2003 CBR 954 and now a 06 C-dan

FF Reputation: 1 elliottcarlose Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
want new speakers

I curently have 4 12" rockford fosgate p1 rated at 150 rms each my amp is a fosgate 5002 rated at 2x250rms into 2 ohms. I want to use the same box so need 4 12 but want to stick with one amp to get louder than what I got want to boost the total wattage of subs to 1000 rms at least what are my options I keep hearing about these zeb amps and was curious

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2005, 01:45 PM   #2
FocusInCali
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 7987
What I Drive: 01 SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 FocusInCali Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
What is your box volume?
Is it open, or individual chambers?
Old 05-05-2005, 01:08 PM   #3
elliottcarlose
Focus Fanatic

it is divided into two sections so two subs share the same air space It is a wierd design and don't know the air space I believe it is a little smaller than it is soposed to be I bought the box with the right air space for the fosgate p1 but the box was two inches too long to fit in my car so I cut a section out of the middle and fiberglassed the box

Sounds =2-12 Fosgate PS1, 1 Fosgate 5002 500watts RMS, 4 Fosgate door speakers, 1 Pioneer in dash dvd/monitor

GO 4-2-1 race header, complete cat back, SRI, and svt suspension
Old 05-05-2005, 01:54 PM   #4
FocusInCali
Focus Fanatic

:edited:

Last edited by FocusInCali; 05-05-2005 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:34 PM   #5
FocusInCali
Focus Fanatic

My bad, I missed what you were saying. And I saw your photo gallery.

So, it's a sealed design with two chambers with two subs per chamber.

Now we need to figure out the internal volume of each chamber.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:40 PM   #6
FocusInCali
Focus Fanatic

Take the external measurements and also let me know what thickness the box with fiberglass is.

bottom width
top width (the small one)
height at side
height at top center
length
thickness of material
thickness of internal divider

Old 05-05-2005, 03:12 PM   #7
FocusInCali
Focus Fanatic

We need to know the volume to make sure, but I'm sure the 4 subs will be Image Dynamics IDv3 12" dual 2 ohm. All wired in series, subs to 4 ohms, sub to sub 8 ohms. Then the two sets of 8 ohm wired in parallel to the amp for a final 4 ohm load.

I'm thinking of the Zed Audio Deuce bridged for more than 800w at 4 ohms for 200w plus per sub. That's the single amp approach. Dual Minilith amps bridged would output about 1300w at 2 ohms (dual 2 ohm subs), or over 800w at 4 ohms (dual 4 ohm subs). The Minilith adds Class D efficiency, parametric EQ, subsonic filter, and remote knob option. Stephen can add a subsonic to the Deuce as an option. The Deuce is roughly 12"x3"x17.5" plus wires. The Minilith is roughly 12"x3"x12" plus wires (x2). So, 17.5" versus 24". And 2 Miniliths would add $70.

4 IDv3 12" sub would run you $543.80 shipped from cardomain.com
Plus $409 plus shipping for the Zed Deuce ordered direct.
Around $980. ($1,050 with 2 Miniliths)

You might want to consider just replacing the subs and use the same amp for now. The IDv3 12" subs have a one-way Xmax of 17mm, versus 7.7mm for the P1. The IDv3 will perform just fine with 125w, even though it's rated for 250w RMS.

A couple of questions:
Are your subs single 4 ohm, or single 8 ohm?
Are you running your amp/sub setup in stereo, or wired for a mono load for 500w at 4 ohms? (still 125w per, but all hitting at the same time).
Old 05-06-2005, 08:18 AM   #8
elliottcarlose
Focus Fanatic

I am running them in two channels bridged for 250wattsx2ohmsx2channels so each sub is getting 125 watts. They are 4 ohm eachI will take the measurements soon. I was trying to get a idea what amp to use. Rockford has a amp 8002 tha is 800x1 at four ohms and 400x2 at 2 ohms. I definatly only wast one amp as I have limited room in the trunk and want it confined there. I just want to pump up the volume.

Sounds =2-12 Fosgate PS1, 1 Fosgate 5002 500watts RMS, 4 Fosgate door speakers, 1 Pioneer in dash dvd/monitor

GO 4-2-1 race header, complete cat back, SRI, and svt suspension
Old 05-06-2005, 01:09 PM   #9
FocusInCali
Focus Fanatic

FYI, your amp is not bridged. It is a 2ch amp running in 2ch mode with a 2 ohm load per channel. You had it right, only it's not bridged.

But you DO want to bridge it. This should be your first thing to try. Instead of 4 connections to the amp, you'll have two; one positive to one side, one negative to the other side. It should be marked on the amp with a connecting line or something, indicating which pos and neg to connect.

This will make your amp provide 500w with a 4 ohm load.

The reason is to make sure all 4 subs are hitting at the same time. It will make a difference. And lessen the chance for cancellations.

The fun part is the wiring. The way you have it now, is both sub pos and neg going to the amp pos and neg on each channel. That is running each pair of 4 ohm subs in parallel. 4 + 4 in parallel is a 2 ohm load. There's two ways to wire this for a mono load...

Take the two pos of two subs and connect them to two neg of the other two subs. Then connect the remaining pos and neg to the amp pos and neg (one connection to the left, one to the right; whichever is pos and neg for bridging). This way will work for your given setup, but the other way might give a slight advantage...

The other way is to wire two subs in series, pos of one sub to neg of the other (do both sets), then the remaining pos of each set to each other, and the remaining neg of each set to each other, then those pos and neg to the bridging connections on the amp.

The reason is to have the final stage as parallel....

Subs A+B: 4 + 4 in series is 8
Subs C+D: 4 + 4 in series is 8

8 + 8 in parallel is 4

I hope that makes sense. This would be the first change to try, then if it isn't enough, you can decide wether to upgrade the amp or the subs first.

As far as upgrading, are you trying to stay all Rockford?

Bookmarks & Social Networks