Flashed back to stock tune for some warranty work. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-03-2005, 08:02 AM   #1
gukin
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12777
What I Drive: 2003 Orange SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 gukin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Flashed back to stock tune for some warranty work.

It was time for another oil change (18,000) so I thought I'd check the oil & look for leaks and, what do you know, I'm down 1/2 quart & my valve cover has oil running down from the spark plug area. Not wanting to tempt fate, (your tune caused extreme crankcase pressure and blew your valve cover gasket. . . ) I flashed back to the stock tune & made an appointment for the valve cover.

When I brought my car by, it was difficult not to complain about the lousy stock tune. Starting up, my car barely runs then revs to 3,000 RPM for about 15 seconds, touch gas and it jumps to 4,000; lovely, ice cold engine and the damn thing is revving itself stupid. Next, I try to drive but shifting smoothly is impossible, press the clutch, pull my foot off the gas and the damn thing jumps 500, 1000 RPM; let out the clutch and I'm greeted with an unpleasant lurch. Driving down the road, I press on the gas and just get . . . noise, little accleration until whatever figures out that I want to go faster lets me go faster. On the boil, 4,000 or higher, it's not too bad but it is irritating having to keep it at those RPMS for decent performance.

If anyone has any doubt their tune wasn't worth the money, just flash back to stock and see how it feels.

Sorry to dump another tune story on y'all but riding with the stock tune is so awful, I just hate my car the way it came from the factory.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2005, 08:07 AM   #2
revamp
Cashed in my chips

Fan#: 8133
What I Drive: notafocus

FF Reputation: 4 revamp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Yeah, had the same experience as you when I flashed back to stock because of a leaking valve cover.

Actually, the valve cover gasket and the VCT solenoid were replaced. They had the car for 3 days (had to order parts) and I got to drive around in a taurus. yay. :/

Ford never bothered to give me an oil change or top off the oil. I got the car back a half quart low. That seemed shiesty to me....
Old 05-03-2005, 08:32 AM   #3
JohnMichael
Michael J. Caboose

Fan#: 21469
What I Drive: Black Hemi Ram & Honda Shadow VT600

FF Reputation: 7 JohnMichael Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
So, does tuning the SVT tend to lead to this type problem of the gasket weakening? It seems both of you had the same dilemma.

Rock on

O'er Pirates from the Black of Pitch
Old 05-03-2005, 08:37 AM   #4
revamp
Cashed in my chips

Fan#: 8133
What I Drive: notafocus

FF Reputation: 4 revamp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
lol..no, it's an inherent weakness in the SVT and has nothing at all to do with the tune.

in fact, when returning my car to me, the service guy said, "well, we'll probably be seeing you in another 20K miles"

hopefully I don't spring another leak, but rest assured it had nothing to do with an aftermarket tune. Do a search on this forum and you will find that this is a common repair for the SVT.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:44 AM   #5
JohnMichael
Michael J. Caboose

Fan#: 21469
What I Drive: Black Hemi Ram & Honda Shadow VT600

FF Reputation: 7 JohnMichael Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Yeah, I figured it was going to be a goofy question, but hey, the only dumb question is the one that goes unasked, right?....right? *JM looks around to make sure no one else is watching and zips on outta this thread...*

O'er Pirates from the Black of Pitch
Old 05-03-2005, 08:45 PM   #6
gukin
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12777
What I Drive: 2003 Orange SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 gukin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
This is actually my THIRD valve cover gasket! I had it done at 3,000, 6,000, and 15,000 (not the 18,000 above) and before you think it's a dumb question, go peek under your hood around that SHINY thing that covers your spark plugs and see if your gasket is leaking.

In any case, get a damn tune, it might even cut down on the valve cover leaking due to reduced oil pressure, no revving to 4,000 RPM when the engine is cold.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:06 PM   #7
rfinger
/fail

Fan#: 2799
What I Drive: F150 FX4

FF Reputation: 1 rfinger Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
damn this sucks i knew nothing of this issue with the SVTF

"When everything works, it's a sheer joy to drive." - Jeremy Clarkson

Bookmarks & Social Networks