Help Deciding What Mod I Should Do Please? - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-30-2014, 08:48 AM   #31
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 54 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudziel View Post
I just checked when I got to work this morning and there are no bars that run from left to right side underneath. So no, my car does not have one.
Then you need to get a Steeda rear sway bar kit. Comes w/ brackets that bolt on= its best to get them welded on to the cradle.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2014, 08:51 AM   #32
Gudziel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 72249
What I Drive: 2007 Aqua Blue ZX4 SE

FF Reputation: 2 Gudziel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
Then you need to get a Steeda rear sway bar kit. Comes w/ brackets that bolt on= its best to get them welded on to the cradle.
Is this something that any mechanic would know to do?

ETA: Is this something you'd suggest? http://www.steedafocus.com/parts/for...-rear-swaybar/ It was the first thing I found on a google search. So there is probably something better out there for me.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:00 AM   #33
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Is this something that any mechanic would know to do?

ETA: Is this something you'd suggest? http://www.steedafocus.com/parts/for...-rear-swaybar/ It was the first thing I found on a google search. So there is probably something better out there for me.
Yea, thats the one. Anyone can install that rear sway bar kit. I'd get the brackets welded to the rear cradle, instead of just bolting them on.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:08 AM   #34
Gudziel
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
Yea, thats the one. Anyone can install that rear sway bar kit. I'd get the brackets welded to the rear cradle, instead of just bolting them on.
Hey felix. I know you just answered another thread I started yesterday, which was not my intention to have two threads starting with different intentions and end up on the same topic. I guess that's good because I know the springs and damper kit I am going to get.

The family mechanic (friend) is going to inspect my car mid-august. He's agreed to install the springs and kit. But since he is about an hour away from me, I'd like to get everything done at once. Also, I don't have the means to weld anything myself. So, ideally, if that is the rsb you believe I should get, I'd get it. I'd have to call him up first and ensure that he knows how to install RSB's and if he knows he needs to weld the brackets. I just don't want to come across like he has no idea how to install/fix vehicles. lol might appear condescending.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:13 AM   #35
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

You or him can install the Steeda rear sway bar kit, by just bolting it on, but its best to weld the brackets to the rear cradle, like the cars that come w/ rsb's. Thats like bolting on sub frame connectors vs welding them on. I'd also make sure the brackets are spaced out as far as possible too.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:29 AM   #36
Gudziel
Focus Enthusiast

thx felix.

I'll give him a call and talk to him about it. That is the exact sway bar I need? I like the blue bars I'm seeing in posts between you and rambleon in a thread I found on google (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283250).

Are there installation instructions that come with the sway bar also? I ask this in case I would decide to do the install myself. I'm not very familiar with a rear cradle or other automotive terminology. So I want to make sure I'm more knowledgeable.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:44 AM   #37
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 23 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Quote:
thx felix.

I'll give him a call and talk to him about it. That is the exact sway bar I need? I like the blue bars I'm seeing in posts between you and rambleon in a thread I found on google (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283250).

Are there installation instructions that come with the sway bar also? I ask this in case I would decide to do the install myself. I'm not very familiar with a rear cradle or other automotive terminology. So I want to make sure I'm more knowledgeable.
Yes that is the exact kit you need for adding a rsb. It comes with instructions but it is pretty straight forward. There are brackets that fit around the subframe and that creates the mounting point for the sway bar. It can be a tight fit getting a wrench/socket to hold/tighten the nuts/bolts when installing it but otherwise its a pretty easy install.

It was one of the first mods i did on my car and installed myself...was a pretty much a newb at that point with working on cars and i figured it out on my own.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:49 AM   #38
Gudziel
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks rambleon and felix. I'll buy that also.

Another thing I've stumbled on. Now a little back story that has to deal with suspension:

A couple of winters ago I heard some grinding noise under me when I made a sharp left turn. This also happens when a normal left is made but speed is added to it. The same thing now happens when turning right. It isn't all the time. But if it is a sharp turn or a turn that is hitting a bump, I will feel and hear it.

Any ideas?

Finally, in looking up things online I came across sway bar links. These have never been changed either. Should I also get these done since I'm approaching 100k miles and are there only two in the front or also two in the back also? I figure that they aren't so expensive so I could get them done now also.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:40 AM   #39
Gudziel
Focus Enthusiast

Ok, just for others to know (since I have two threads in separate places that started off on different topics but ended at the same point), felix had suggested I wait to get the rsb until after I see how the new damper kit and coils feel on my car. After that, if I'm satisfied with the results of the replacements, which I know I will be, I'll go about purchasing and installing an rsb.

I think I'm also going to purchase some front sway bar end links and have those replaced at the same time, since those are also 100k miles old. They are inexpensive and could help a little.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:02 PM   #40
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Yea, I'd add the sway bar end links to your order. You'll end up removing them anyhow, when you do your struts/springs.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->