Help Deciding What Mod I Should Do Please? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-23-2014, 10:03 AM   #1
Gudziel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 72249
What I Drive: 2007 Aqua Blue ZX4 SE

FF Reputation: 2 Gudziel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Question Help Deciding What Mod I Should Do Please?

I'm looking to do one or two more modifications to my vehicle and then I'm calling it quits for a while. I'm not looking to spend much but I want your thoughts, suggestions and if you can point me in a direction for them, please do.

I want to get either a suspension, exhaust or both for my vehicle. Now I don't want to be spending a lot of money on either or combined. But if you guys can help me find something that is decently priced for it's quality, I'd like to look into it. I have no idea about what it takes to get the proper suspension or exhaust for my car. I have an 07 SE sedan, so it is by no means a racing vehicle. But I'm approaching 100k miles and am trying to make some changes that will help my engine and transmission last longer, as well as provide an overall better ride. Other than what I'm about to mention below, everything is factory from original purchase when I got it back in '06.

-- replaced spark plugs with AR103's last weekend
-- new clutch in Feb 2014
-- new CMC in Oct 2013
-- new tires
-- brakes, rotors, drums
-- reverse switch

I'm thinking of installing the DIY CAI to help save money. What would help my car perform and feel better? I'm not looking to be making a large amount of noise like a rice burner (don't mean to offend anyone if they like that, but that's not me). So I would like the car to sound quieter than if I had installed a huge muffler tip.

I'm just trying to get the most out of my car before something drastic happens and I am faced with either fixing the car with a huge bill or getting an new car completely. Any help with a decision or suggestions is greatly appreciated!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2014, 11:31 AM   #2
katiekay
ɔᴉʇɐuɐℲ snɔoℲ

Fan#: 42025
What I Drive: 03 CD Silver ZX5

FF Reputation: 59 katiekay Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (48)
It seems that you want your car to last longer. So if you want to upgrade components like suspension/exhaust etc. you will pay big money. If you cheap out on those areas, your car will not last you as long as you want it to. Suspension to do properly will cost $700 - $1,200 in parts. Exhaust will be about $500.

Since you want to be cheap and make your car last, do not modify it. Instead replace worn out items like motor mounts/etc. with genuine OEM Ford replacements.
Hatch Nation #8
September 2012 Ride of the Month
Old 07-23-2014, 11:54 AM   #3
Gudziel
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiekay View Post
It seems that you want your car to last longer. So if you want to upgrade components like suspension/exhaust etc. you will pay big money. If you cheap out on those areas, your car will not last you as long as you want it to. Suspension to do properly will cost $700 - $1,200 in parts. Exhaust will be about $500.

Since you want to be cheap and make your car last, do not modify it. Instead replace worn out items like motor mounts/etc. with genuine OEM Ford replacements.
I had already planned on getting the three mounts changed come my inspection in August. So then would you suggest anything else I can do to make my car last longer?

I don't mean to be cheap and I am no dummy in thinking that cheap is not the proper way of going about doing ANY job if you want it done properly. I understand that the proper way would cost money but I was under the impression that getting new struts and/or coils did not cost that much. I'm unsure what any exhaust costs so I can't even presume but can only take your word on it.

I was asking about the exhaust because I've read that allowing the engine to "breathe" better is a great way to get more life out of it. And that makes sense to me. That's why I had intended on putting the CAI on there also.

But I guess nevermind on both of those ideas. So anything else you feel I could do to my car to get the most out of its life? Maybe when I feel compelled to pay that much for the mods, I'll do that. But right now I don't. Any other suggestions?
Old 07-23-2014, 02:10 PM   #4
foxmustangman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118189
What I Drive: Black '02 ZX5

FF Reputation: 2 foxmustangman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Unless you've done modifications to the engine (cams, throttle body, head work, etc.) then you're engine doesn't need to breathe any better than it currently does. CAI and exhaust will change the sound of your engine. But nothing else. I repeat, they will not add or "release restricted HP".

If you really want to put your money to the best use and towards preserving the life and drivability of the car, like Kaylee suggested, I would get a suspension upgrade. The SVT suspension is a great kit, and I think it should work on your sedan. I bought mine and had it installed for around $800 total.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:27 PM   #5
Gudziel
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmustangman View Post
Unless you've done modifications to the engine (cams, throttle body, head work, etc.) then you're engine doesn't need to breathe any better than it currently does. CAI and exhaust will change the sound of your engine. But nothing else. I repeat, they will not add or "release restricted HP".

If you really want to put your money to the best use and towards preserving the life and drivability of the car, like Kaylee suggested, I would get a suspension upgrade. The SVT suspension is a great kit, and I think it should work on your sedan. I bought mine and had it installed for around $800 total.
Hmm...

Sounds good. I'll look into the body kit and hold off on anything else.

Thanks to you both!
Old 07-23-2014, 04:12 PM   #6
katiekay
ɔᴉʇɐuɐℲ snɔoℲ

You're welcome :)

Like what was mentioned, the SVT suspension is a great upgrade, but I consider that OEM and I thought you were looking for aftermarket. Aftermarket suspension is pricey, but the complete SVT kit is very reasonable, but your car has different knuckles so adapters would also need to be purchased to mount it to your car.

Luckily Ford Racing makes a suspension kit designed to fit your year and it is essentially the SVT kit.

http://www.c-f-m.com/performancepart...m#.U9AlJbGwXLI
Hatch Nation #8
Old 07-23-2014, 04:15 PM   #7
Gudziel
Focus Enthusiast

Wow! $200?!?!?! Great price!

What differences would I experience from now? I'm just curious? I am highly thinking about grabbing that!!!!

Great link. Rep point coming your way!!!! Thanks katiekay!
Old 07-23-2014, 04:22 PM   #8
katiekay
ɔᴉʇɐuɐℲ snɔoℲ

Slightly lower ride height (about .5") and stiffer. It will handle a lot better in the corners.

You're welcome Gudziel! :)
Hatch Nation #8
Old 07-23-2014, 04:33 PM   #9
Gudziel
Focus Enthusiast

Does it also help when going over small bumps to reduce the jump in the car? Right now I can feel every single bump in the road and it stinks. Lol

My Build/Mod Thread: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=462393
Old 07-23-2014, 05:27 PM   #10
Gudziel
Focus Enthusiast

My car currently sits about 3.5" to 4" from the tires. How difficult is the installation? I have a family friend who does my inspections and other car needs. I'd like to have him do the mounts and the suspension if I get it. He barely asks much money from me for his services but if I need a decent amount of work done I usually give him a bit more than normal for his time. What is normal amount of time for the installation?

My Build/Mod Thread: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=462393

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->