How does the SVT VCT work? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-30-2005, 07:53 AM   #1
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 51,296, Level 100
Points: 51,296, Level: 100 Points: 51,296, Level: 100 Points: 51,296, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 29%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
How does the SVT VCT work?

There seems to be a ? on how the SVT VCT works or what it is that is does

I have had the chance to play with the VCT on many SVT and have Elim it on 3 SVT now , If the VCT truely changed(Retard) the cam angle to where you had better performance in the lower end and (Advance) it in the top than going to the VCT Elim we would see a less bottom end HP/TQ and more upper end HP/TQ

With what i have seen installing a VCT Elim there was a 5 to 6 HP/TQ loss at 1000 2,3.4.5.6.7000 Rpms , There was NO loss of HP/TQ more in the bottom or top as there should of been IF the VCT is truely changing the cam angle for performance , Keep in mind that there has yet to be any tuning done to this car to see if the loss of HP/TQ can be brought back

I have played with the settings in the software and got a small gain from changine the VCT setting from factory -45 to -60 and a few others only to show some surging issues , I have only seen this to be a gain on about 6 of the 50 or 60 cars i have dynoed

I feel that the SVT VCT is there for emmissions as in the case of the VCT on the ZX2

I will be playing more with this because i see so many of them not working properly and the parts to repair them are costly when the warranty runs out

Tom

Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus

Last edited by 1turbofocus; 04-30-2005 at 08:49 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2005, 12:55 PM   #2
davlafont
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 16413
What I Drive: 2002 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 davlafont Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Re: How does the SVT VCT work?

Quote:
Originally posted by 1turbofocus
I feel that the SVT VCT is there for emmissions as in the case of the VCT on the ZX2...
Judging by your own observations, it seems that the VCT is there to provide 5-6 hp/tq across the entire operating range .

What RPM is your replacement optimized for? The VCT should equal a fixed cam at what ever RPM the fixed cam was designed for but show improvements elsewhere in the powerband. That presumes the VCT cam is worth a damn of course, but it's a reasonable assumption. Given your results, I would say SVT gets a pat on the back.

BTW, this comes from someone whose sole engineering credential is that I read a lot of Car&Driver (etc.) during my misspent youth. Thanks for looking into the issue of what becomes of these sophisticated engines once the warranty runs out.
2002 SVTFocus #2629
SVT Squad #106
Visit Dave's Daily Driver
Old 04-30-2005, 01:15 PM   #3
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Interesting...
That's completely opposite of how pushrod single cam V8s respond.
Advancing the cam increases low end power, while retarding increases top end.
I'm sure part of the reasoning, is both intake and exhaust are controlled by one cam.

Keep us tuned (pun intended) Tom!
Thanks for the write up.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:09 PM   #4
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 51,296, Level 100
Points: 51,296, Level: 100 Points: 51,296, Level: 100 Points: 51,296, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 29%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
No with the VCT Elim installed i can add to the bottom end or add to the top end depending on if i advance the cam or retard the cam

What im saying is if the ECU is truely controling the Adv. Ret, then installing the VCT Elim and it not being VC there should of been more of a loss in the bottom or in the top and it was all the same

Like i said the loss of HP has yet to me checked to see if changing the tuning will bring it back

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 05-02-2005, 09:07 AM   #5
finalley
Focus Addict

Fan#: 386
What I Drive: 04SVTF, 03SVTF,08F150 4x4, 2013ST3

Points 1,311, Level 20
Points: 1,311, Level: 20 Points: 1,311, Level: 20 Points: 1,311, Level: 20
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 finalley Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quick side question Tom. When you eliminate the gear, and it's controlled by oil press, is the overall pressure affected??I mean is the oil opening filled back in with the VCT elim??
I ask because I noticed a pressure drop at idle.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.