Mod options and opinions? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-14-2014, 03:21 AM   #1
mwjames
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 176449
What I Drive: 2002 Black SE 2.0 Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 mwjames Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Mod options and opinions?

Hello everybody new here and just bought 3 2002 ford focus'. All have the 2.0 Zetec with auto transmission. One of them I plan on keeping as a daily driver. Curious as to what everybody recommends for some more power without going to overboard. I'm not looking for 200whp or anything. More like a 20ish hp gain. Hoping to keep as much torque as possible. If I do plan to do a build up.

Headers- I see alot of people recommend just getting the SVT's exhaust, is there any good aftermarkets that are comparable in gains? yet cheaper in price?

Heads- I'm thinking about having my head ported and polished since I have a family member who's very good in his shop.

Air intake- I usually just get the washable K&N drop and go filter.

Intake manifold- Not sure if I want or will need to swap this out, are there any good choices out there?

Fuel system- How much power can I add before the stock injectors won't be able to keep up? Same question pertains to the pump.

Ignition- Guessing the stock ignition may be sufficient for what I'm thinking about doing, if not would the svt's swap over?

Tune- Can the stock computer be retuned? What are people spending on average for a tune?

Thank you in advance to anybody who's paying attention to my post

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2014, 05:36 AM   #2
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

Points 6,159, Level 51
Points: 6,159, Level: 51 Points: 6,159, Level: 51 Points: 6,159, Level: 51
Level Up 5% Completed
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%
Forum Activity 39%
Activity: 39% Activity: 39% Activity: 39%
FF Reputation: 24 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwjames View Post
Hello everybody new here and just bought 3 2002 ford focus'. All have the 2.0 Zetec with auto transmission. One of them I plan on keeping as a daily driver. Curious as to what everybody recommends for some more power without going to overboard. I'm not looking for 200whp or anything. More like a 20ish hp gain. Hoping to keep as much torque as possible. If I do plan to do a build up.

Headers- I see alot of people recommend just getting the SVT's exhaust, is there any good aftermarkets that are comparable in gains? yet cheaper in price?

Heads- I'm thinking about having my head ported and polished since I have a family member who's very good in his shop.

Intake manifold- Not sure if I want or will need to swap this out, are there any good choices out there?

Fuel system- How much power can I add before the stock injectors won't be able to keep up? Same question pertains to the pump.

Ignition- Guessing the stock ignition may be sufficient for what I'm thinking about doing, if not would the svt's swap over?

Tune- Can the stock computer be retuned? What are people spending on average for a tune?

Headers and exhaust-SVT header, ORP and 2.5" exhaust give the best gains

Port and Polish(PnP Head)-if you can get it done right and cheap, do it.

Ignition-Stock Coil, Taylor wires or, OEM are just fine. The rest is a waste of money. Motorcraft copper plugs gapped at .055

Tune-Buy Tom's tune @$420.00 shipped, he gives free N/A updates

Now add,

A drop in K&N panel filter. Plus delete the airbox resonator.

Adjustable Cam Gears tuned on a dyno. You you get much needed midrange torque with this mod.

A 65mm throttle body, it gives you much better response. Next to no power gain.

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 07-14-2014, 07:24 PM   #3
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

Points 7,832, Level 59
Points: 7,832, Level: 59 Points: 7,832, Level: 59 Points: 7,832, Level: 59
Level Up 41% Completed
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%
Forum Activity 19%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
A tune will make that auto much more lively. I hate the auto that's in the focus, the manual is SO much more fun to drive it may be worth a swap over to a MTX-75 on the one your making not a DD.
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 07-14-2014, 08:25 PM   #4
TexasFoCi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118867
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3 5 Speed with 255,000 Miles

Points 741, Level 14
Points: 741, Level: 14 Points: 741, Level: 14 Points: 741, Level: 14
Level Up 41% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 TexasFoCi Good Standing Member
SELL IT and buy a ZX3 5-speed!

you can probably get more money for the auto and buy the stadard for cheaper. These cars with are too slow and IMO no fun with an auto.
The more you upgrade and buy, the more you want to change things and you will regret having an Automatic transmission.

If you want to make it faster and fun. Get some forced induction and a suspension and then work on things from there like (exhaust, power add ons, rims tires, accessories.)

You need to have a good base to start from. In my opinion that is the MTX and forced induction.

(Side note to your only wanting 20HP.)

SVT header conversion, headwork, air intake, gaskets, install, bolts, tools, exhaust back, cat, flex,pipe.
using new and using parts , these parts add up QUICK$$$
maybe around 1500-3000 $ Gain of 20-30HP

Jackson racing supercharger Ive seen go for $1200-1500 I think its a gain of 70-80HP
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413602

Pro charger and Powerworks or turbo kit, you will probably pay much more
220HP -300HP charged Turbo 200-700HP??
Old 07-15-2014, 02:33 AM   #5
TexasFoCi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118867
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3 5 Speed with 255,000 Miles

Points 741, Level 14
Points: 741, Level: 14 Points: 741, Level: 14 Points: 741, Level: 14
Level Up 41% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 TexasFoCi Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus2727 View Post
A tune will make that auto much more lively. I hate the auto that's in the focus, the manual is SO much more fun to drive it may be worth a swap over to a MTX-75 on the one your making not a DD.
I agree with mags
Old 07-15-2014, 03:14 AM   #6
ViperThreat
Moderator OF DOOM

Fan#: 66026
What I Drive: '06 WRX Wagon 285whp/292wtq

Points 7,526, Level 57
Points: 7,526, Level: 57 Points: 7,526, Level: 57 Points: 7,526, Level: 57
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 9 ViperThreat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:

I see SVT headers go for $100 all day long in the classifieds. Doesnt get any cheaper than that.

Quote:
If you plan on going to such an extreme, you definitely want to talk with a tuner.

Quote:
Cant go wrong here.

Quote:
There isnt anything out there that is worth the money unless you plan on going force induct (FI). For the moment, the factory IM is your best bet.

Quote:
I've seen foci hit 150whp on the factory pump and injectors. (roughly 180hp) Without going FI, you are going to be hard pressed to get past that.

Quote:
Consider new spark plugs and wires if they havent been replaced..

Quote:
Yes, you will need a SCT X3 (~$300). Tune pricing varies by vendor.

Quote:

Honestly, if all you want is a 20hp gain, then here is your ticket:

• SVT Header
• High-flow Cat/Off-road Pipe
• 2.5" cat-back exhaust
• K&N filter
• Tune

Those 5 items combined will give your focus quite a bit more pep.

It's nothing compared to some decent suspension though:

• H&R Race springs
• H&R Sway Bars
• KYB AGX Struts/shocks
• FSWerks Stress Bars
• Some decent tires

Do the above mods, and your car will be an entirely different animal.

Edit: Also, lose the auto.

"Ford Focus ST - the official car of message-board circle-jerks"
-Regular Car Reviews
Old 07-15-2014, 08:12 AM   #7
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

Points 7,832, Level 59
Points: 7,832, Level: 59 Points: 7,832, Level: 59 Points: 7,832, Level: 59
Level Up 41% Completed
Forum Activity 19%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
^^^ even if you dont want to do the:
• H&R Race springs
• H&R Sway Bars
• KYB AGX Struts/shocks
• FSWerks Stress Bars
• Some decent tires

you can get the Ford Racing Performance Parts (FRPP) suspension kit (part # M-3000-ZX3). its cheap (Under $300) and comes with springs, shocks and struts and a rear sway bar ( https://www.fordracingparts.com/part...tKeyField=6782)

basically puts the SVT suspension on your car.
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 07-16-2014, 07:28 PM   #8
mwjames
Focus Rookie

Thank you to everybody that responded.

Freemind- can you give me anymore info about tom's tune? I'm new to the focus seen and have never taken a car into to get the computer tuned.

TexasFoci- I'm not to keen on going back to a manual transmission, not that I will completely rule that thought out. Any idea what the factory recommends for shift speeds on those? I hate getting stuck in traffic with short gears on standards. Also supercharger kit sounds like overkill, the head work shouldn't cost me to much, he generally charges me half price of a normal customer, and I get a 15%-30% discount at the local parts store.

Viperthreat- I could probably get close to a 20hp gain with those suggested 5, I just can't justify getting a tune without the head work to :)

Magus- Thanks for that suspension link, I'm not trying to go to crazy with the car. I just want a fun DD. That suspension should be plenty for me.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:53 PM   #9
mwjames
Focus Rookie

Just to share a little more info about my situation.

I got 3 of these cars, one was considered a gift the other 2 were sold to me at practically scrap prices.

One of them is a blue se and a deer took out a fender/hood/bumper. Has just shy of 400,000 but has had great maintenance until the deer. It sat outside for a year in Minnesota winter with the hood off, so things got a little rusty but not to extreme. There was some water sitting over the plugs up to the top of the valve cover, water wasn't draining past the plugs but there did seem to be a bit of water in the oil. I have not gotten it to start, but it will most likely be a tear down for parts then scrapped. Transmission in it only has 120k on it.

2nd is a black 4 door 160k on it. Starts, sounds good. Alternator and a few other pullies are junk and serpentine is off. It supposedly won't go into overdrive and also dies after it goes down the road a few miles. I haven't tested it besides just starting and running it for a quick minute.

3rd is a black zts 4 door 140k. I was told it fouled out 1 spark plug about every 10k but I quickly found out the threads were shot for said plug. Runs strong on 3 cylinders!! lol

I'm no master mechanic but i've gotten my hands on a few wrenches.
Almost got my 2nd gen camaro done, floors are welded up, fresh 350 pushing about 325-350hp and a turbo 400 transmission. Just gotta slap those 2 in, do brakes than worry about the paint job :) oh it also has adjustable suspension kit in it. Weekend fun type of car.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:57 PM   #10
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

Points 6,159, Level 51
Points: 6,159, Level: 51 Points: 6,159, Level: 51 Points: 6,159, Level: 51
Level Up 5% Completed
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%
Forum Activity 39%
Activity: 39% Activity: 39% Activity: 39%
FF Reputation: 24 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (22)
Quote:
Thank you to everybody that responded.

Freemind- can you give me anymore info about tom's tune? I'm new to the focus seen and have never taken a car into to get the computer tuned.

TexasFoci- I'm not to keen on going back to a manual transmission, not that I will completely rule that thought out. Any idea what the factory recommends for shift speeds on those? I hate getting stuck in traffic with short gears on standards. Also supercharger kit sounds like overkill, the head work shouldn't cost me to much, he generally charges me half price of a normal customer, and I get a 15%-30% discount at the local parts store.

Viperthreat- I could probably get close to a 20hp gain with those suggested 5, I just can't justify getting a tune without the head work to :)

Magus- Thanks for that suspension link, I'm not trying to go to crazy with the car. I just want a fun DD. That suspension should be plenty for me.
His name is Tom(1turbofocus), http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303958

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.