Autocross and understeering pig ZX3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-25-2005, 12:46 AM   #1
Garsdad
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 16663
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Garsdad Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Autocross and understeering pig ZX3

I went through an autocross school this weekend- first time in 15 years that I have autocrossed. It was pouring down rain, so I was able to uncover some demons in the stock ZX3 set-up- cheif among them horrendous understeer. I tried a little tuning with tire pressure, but couldn't get much of a handle on it.

I would like to run showroom stock (I'm a cheap bastard) so I can't get too involved in modifications.

If anyone has successfully tamed the beast with Showroom Stock legal items, I would like to hear about it. My tires are the stock ones that came on the car (2002 ZX3) and I realize that replacing those would help, but I think that improving the balance of my car with the zero-grip tires that are on it will only make it fly with some sticky rubber.

Also, does anyone know if I can upgrade to SVT suspension pieces and more specifically wheel and tire size under Showroom Stock rules? What about the 6-speed (I really want limited slip, and that might be a "rule-friendly" way to get it).

Thank you for any and all help.

By the way, if you have a chance to take an autocross school in the rain, do it! You can't hide from your or your car's shortcomings, and you reach the limits in each and every corner. I really learned much more than I could have if the car had enough stick to mask my chunky driving. It was "forced smoothness".

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2005, 03:48 AM   #2
Demon4545
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 15767
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Demon4545 Good Standing Member
I can't speak for the rules of your organization, but i'm almost certain that the SVT six speed doesn't have a limited slip...either way, you're looking at an aftermarket one.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:05 AM   #3
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing MemberEgz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
If Showroom Stock is anything like HS or GS, no, you won't be able to put a SVT suspesnion on it, since its a different model and not a trim level.

duratec.wikispaces.com - Duratec Wiki - Sign up and contribute!
Old 04-25-2005, 07:40 AM   #4
bwojdyla
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 3589
What I Drive: Red 2000 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 bwojdyla Good Standing Member
if you really wanted to go through the hassle, you could have your camber altered to to sit on the extreme edge of the factory specification. some negative camber up front would probably help if you could manage to narrow the track in the rear a little bit.

While the understeer exists, I can say that its extremely predictable. I was doing some incredibly hard driving in west virginia and the transition to understeer was both predictable and controllable (good thing too, there was a drop off the back of the mountain). had to stop eventually because of brake fade. oops.

I've actually managed to induce oversteer in a double 90 chicane, not in wet conditions though. Yeah, I think with a combination of negative camber and tire pressure management you can get the car much closer to neutral steer, although I think its probably a futile pursuit to tryand get it all the way there in the showroom stock class.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:07 AM   #5
Garsdad
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 16663
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Garsdad Good Standing Member
Thanks. I thought the SVT had LS... seems silly not to!

I would be happy with a little closer to neutral. I used to have an Alfa Romeo that was so easy to balance and tune... of course, it was not stock anymore, either.

My biggest issue was having to slow so dramatically for a hard corner, then being unable to get on the throttle coming out due to the wheelspin. I have not checked my car- is the toe-in on the rear adjustable?
Old 04-26-2005, 08:39 PM   #6
2004SVTAutoXer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 19123
What I Drive: BMW 335i Coupe, 79 CJ-7

FF Reputation: 26 2004SVTAutoXer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
if the SVTF had the LS i'd be in heaven =/
SVT Squad #133 - Traded for 2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited in Quartz Silver Metallic - Traded for 2008 BMW 335i Coupe with stock twin turbo Juiceboxed 500whp and 500wtq of N54 goodness.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:11 PM   #7
RecoilRob
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21404
What I Drive: 04, CD Silver SVTF

FF Reputation: 8 RecoilRob Good Standing Member
There is a spec for the rear toe so I am assuming that it is adjustable but haven't played with mine yet. The front toe is your most likely place to help your turning ability. Toe the thing out 1/4 turn on each side and see how it feels. You will instantly find the car turning easier and more aggressively. Keep toeing it out until you start to slow down. Simple to do and it costs nothing.

Seriously, take your wrenches with you on your next track day and play with the front toe settings. You will find that the stock setup is NOT the fast way around the track.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:08 PM   #8
rschumin
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 6118
FF Reputation: 1 rschumin Good Standing Member
Quote:
horrendous understeer. I tried a little tuning with tire pressure, but couldn't get much of a handle on it.
I'm running an '04 ZX3 in SCCA HS. Shocks and a cat-back are the only mods. BTW I am also using R-comp tires, but what I'm going to say applies to street tires too.

The laws of physics dictate that front wheel drive cars will understeer. You can mitigate that somewhat with suspension modifications, settings, and tire pressure. You can also loosen up the back to get the car to rotate with tire pressure, shock settings, and trail braking.

"Horrendous understeer" is almost always driver induced. You just have to condition yourself in to slow down when you enter a turn, get the car to turn, and then power out. Slow in, fast out is the key.

Ray
'04 ZX3 2.3
BRR-SCCA
#42 HS
Old 05-17-2005, 09:08 PM   #9
beatfocie
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21495
What I Drive: 2002 black zx3

FF Reputation: 1 beatfocie Good Standing Member
i up graded to svt sus. and the car is pretty well balaced i get a bit more over steer when pushing the limits of the stock 15s
Old 05-18-2005, 08:49 AM   #10
Daeron
Focus Addict

Fan#: 20554
What I Drive: 03 Pitch Black SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 Daeron Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Tire pressure will help you out quite a bit. Chalking your tires will help you get in the ballpark. Pyrometer will help you fine tune. Don't be afraid to get some new rubber for racing

Side story: I went to the local autox this last weekend. There was a Civic Si there and I had to laugh the entire time it was out there. Nothing but screech no matter what that car was doing on the course. It was almost as funny as the old VW Rabbit GTI that was out there backfiring at almost every corner
#2277 of 3985 born on 5/27/03
SVT Squad #20

SCT XCal2 (Hypnotic), AEM CAI, VR rear engine mount, FC ORP, FRPP STS, FC 2pc UDP, Eibach Pro-Kit springs/KYB AGX dampers, FRPP HIDs, Sony CDX-M8815X, Pioneer TS-A6880R front speakers, 16" Rota Grid (Royal Gunmetal) w/Falken Azenis RT615's

2004 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra Convertible, Mystichrome
#292 of 1896

Bookmarks & Social Networks