Supercharging the ZX3...go powerworks or procharger, and how to upgrade once install - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-24-2005, 08:25 PM   #11
Duffman2686
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21784
What I Drive: 2001 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Duffman2686 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
what do you mean relearn driving technique to really use it? You mean staying in the high rpm or something...? Also, you think the powerworks kit is a good setup? I was thinking about doing that with a 2.5" focussport stealth exhaust...i've heard people get gains of 240+whp with an exhaust....but u think i should go 3"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2005, 08:30 PM   #12
Goat Roper
The Godfather

Fan#: 8634
What I Drive: 2003 Black ZTS

FF Reputation: 6 Goat Roper Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
By driving techniques I believe he is speaking of learning how to manage the new found power effectively. With a supercharger there is no need to keep the engine zipping along at high rpms all the to get benefits.

I have a 3" exhaust and I am N/A so yes, I would say go 3". But to each his own.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:51 AM   #13
CatMostFeared
FocusXtreme

Fan#: 20987
What I Drive: Wicked 2000 Turbo Zx3

FF Reputation: 20 CatMostFeared Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
What do you guys think about the Vortech kit its intercooler works like the powerworks air to water.

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...tec_focus.html
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2005, 02:23 AM   #14
CatMostFeared
FocusXtreme

One more thing with a procharger it would seen weather might be a issue seeing where the charger is located.Salt or water on a heated part doesnt look or last long.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:13 AM   #15
COSDEVSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20509
What I Drive: '04 Competion Orange SVT 5dr Euro

FF Reputation: 7 COSDEVSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
What I mean by relearning driving technique is that I your car will have a totally new feel to it ... lots more torque to control and redline comes up very fast as you are shifting thru the gears. Wheelspin is easy in 1st thru 3rd gear - even if you are already moving. Along with all this new power getting you moving, you will also need to slow it down effectively. Without a doubt, wet/snowy roads become even more of a challenge - but not impossible.

With the powerworks kit, you will see better improvements with a 2.5" cat-back system. A ultra-high flowing exhaust (like a 3" system) will relieve too much backpressure and the max boost won't be so high.
'04 PW (#1) Competition Orange SVT 5dr Euro
Old 04-25-2005, 10:13 AM   #16
belacyrf
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6919
What I Drive: Blue 2002 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 belacyrf Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
COSDEVSVT... I said you could upgrade the intercooler on the Powerworks by upgrading the "heat exchanger". Not the actual A to W core. You guys do use a heat exchanger right? If you get the water cooler, then you've effectively increased your intercoolers thermal efficiency. Not to mention, if your a drag racer, you "definately" want the Powerworks... you can just throw "ice" into the reservoir to get that intercooler ice cold for a drag run.

CatMostFeared... the Vortech is a very nice unit. Very complex install, but very very nice. The intercooler is excellent and I am very impressed with the efficiency of it. My friend with an SVT (even though his car is a factory freak) and the Vortech is pushing 290whp out of it on 91 octane with the standard pulley (no upgrades). Of course he has the J&S otherwise he'd have to be tuned a tad safer. And his car is just F A S T!!!

My personal opinion:
1) Powerworks - better than OEM engineering (I mean it's cosworth) and good low end torque
2) Vortech - Quality hardware, great intercooler, will require and oil line.
3) Procharger - Quality Hardware, No oil line needed, I just dont like the intercooler.

That's my assessment, take it for what it's worth (not a whole heck of alot I know) Hehe
Old 04-25-2005, 11:36 AM   #17
COSDEVSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20509
What I Drive: '04 Competion Orange SVT 5dr Euro

FF Reputation: 7 COSDEVSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
The powerworks 'intercooler' is comprised of the following parts;
* Charge-Air-Cooler or CAC- air/water heat exchanger brick in the intake manifold
* Low-Temp-Radiator or LTR - air/water heat exhanger panel behind the front bumper skin below the steel bumper
* Electric water pump
* Coolant reservoir bottle
* Hoses, fittings, clamps

The CAC can't be changed - no physical room inside the intake for a larger core.
The LTR could be changed - taller or deeper, but run the risk of knocking it off on low objects in road.
The coolant reservoir bottle could be packed with ice for a cooler water charge, but it will melt very fast, will change the coolant level, and the reservoir will need to cool down before it is re-opened (slightly pressurized). It would be better to run the CAC inlet line (pump out) thru a 'cool can' arrangement that could be packed with ice and drained separately.
'04 PW (#1) Competition Orange SVT 5dr Euro
Old 04-25-2005, 08:31 PM   #18
CatMostFeared
FocusXtreme

yeah with a cool can you can run dry ice but make sure the motor is warm before you put
ice in or your fluid might freeze.Chills beers in 45 sec.

Last edited by CatMostFeared; 04-25-2005 at 08:39 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->