Supercharging the ZX3...go powerworks or procharger, and how to upgrade once install - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-19-2005, 10:14 PM   #1
Duffman2686
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21784
What I Drive: 2001 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Duffman2686 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Supercharging the ZX3...go powerworks or procharger, and how to upgrade once install

Hey, I'm looking to supercharge my zx3, and I was wondering if I should chose the powerworks or the pro charger. The pro charger, i hear, has much more upgradability, but what could I do to upgrade it? Note that I have a completely stock motor, I will probably get a focussport exhaust system eventually...but what can I do to get more hp from the supercharger (aside from the exhaust)....note that I have a fully stock motor, no iron-forged rods or anything, so I can't just crank up the boost...what do you guys recommend?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2005, 12:40 AM   #2
EnigmaZV
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 66
What I Drive: 2004 Black ZX3 Premium

FF Reputation: 1 EnigmaZV Good Standing Member
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...5&pagenumber=1
There's a thread comparing the two. Apparantly though, the powerworks numbers are artificially low, and Focus Fanatic isn't a reliable magazine for dyno information.

That being said, for the procharger kit, you can get a custom tuned chip, race header (kamikaze work best for SC applications because they're the only 2.5" race header available), matching flex and exhaust. Throttle body, intake manifold, huge FMIC, big boost kit, aftermarket MAF. You also might want to look at FI/SC specific cams and cam gears.

The Powerworks list would look very similar, custom tuning, larger FMIC, larger injectors, aftermarket MAF, big boost kit, header/flex/exhaust, 70mm throttle body, and the cams/gears.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:54 AM   #3
ZX3TUNR
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5452
What I Drive: 2003 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 ZX3TUNR Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The procharger doesnt work to good if you have a euro front. Im still trying to figure out how im evere going to get a fmic in there
Old 04-20-2005, 08:15 AM   #4
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 51,320, Level 100
Points: 51,320, Level: 100 Points: 51,320, Level: 100 Points: 51,320, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 32%
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Hang the front mount under the bumper support is where i put them

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 04-20-2005, 06:01 PM   #5
Duffman2686
Focus Enthusiast

well i don't have a euro front so i'm straight...so I guess if there's really no differences I should go for the cheaper one?...?
Old 04-20-2005, 06:14 PM   #6
Goat Roper
The Godfather

Fan#: 8634
What I Drive: 2003 Black ZTS

FF Reputation: 6 Goat Roper Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
PowerWorks, absolutely no question about it.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:00 PM   #7
belacyrf
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6919
What I Drive: Blue 2002 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 belacyrf Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Duffman2686
well i don't have a euro front so i'm straight...so I guess if there's really no differences I should go for the cheaper one?...?
No difference?

You call a delta of 40 ft/lbs of torque at 2500 RPM's no difference? ;)
Old 04-20-2005, 08:33 PM   #8
Duffman2686
Focus Enthusiast

...so you think i should go with the powerworks? but it's like 1.5k more...argh...and it's designed for 91 octane and the only gas I have round me is 87, 89, and 93, so I'm paying for +2 octane that I don't need...so why powerworks? the better/larger torque curve?
Old 04-20-2005, 09:17 PM   #9
belacyrf
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6919
What I Drive: Blue 2002 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 belacyrf Good Standing Member
Personally, and this is my opinion. I do not like the procharger intercooler location.

And an intercooled Roots blower (while I dont like roots blowers) their biggest enemy is heat. Now you can't help the inefficiencies inherant in a roots blower BUT the fact that it's intercooled helps alot! And remember it's an intercooler sandwich which means the air only travels maybe 3 or 4 inches from blower to manifold while passing through the intercooler. There is no long distance for the air to travel.

Each system allows pulley upgrades.
Each system can have the intercooler upgraded (procharger can be made to work with a front mount). And Powerworks if you just upgrade the heat exchange and possible move it (I dont remember where it's located). You'll get better cooling.

I say go with what you can afford. I used to be very very skeptical about centrifugal chargers because of the lack of low-end torque. But there is something very fun about feeling boost build as RPMs increase. While the fun factor of low end torque can't be understated enough. So both power deliveries have their advantages when it comes to the "fun factor".

I say get what makes you happy. The powerworks is CARB approved if that matters to you and procharger says it will be but it's not as of now, and might never be.

The last thing I will say about the two is given the same "peak" horsepower figures (which these two are kinda close but the Powerworks puts out a bit more power out of the box) the Powerworks will be alot "faster". Because they have alot more torque than the procharger alot earlier. The the powerworks is a faster setup. And that blower whine is just cool ;)

But like I said I love the "feel" of centrifugals. Crappy low end but that feeling a boost builds is quite a rush :D

oh and BTW.. procharger is tune using 91 as well otherwise they couldn't sell it in california.

Good luck.

Last edited by belacyrf; 04-25-2005 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:15 PM   #10
COSDEVSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20509
What I Drive: '04 Competion Orange SVT 5dr Euro

FF Reputation: 7 COSDEVSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
You cannot 'move' or put a larger intercooler into the powerworks kit - the CAC (Charge Air Cooler) is inside the intake manifold and there is no room for a larger CAC brick.

I suppose a larger LTR (Low-Temp Radiator) could be used out in front, but you run the risk of slamming it on every low object in the road.

The powerworks intercooling system can lower charge air temp from 300 deg F to 88 deg F ... about the only thing you could do do get it cooler than that (which isn't really necessary) is to run the CAC supply line thru an ice container of some sort ... but why do that if it isn't necessary?

If you're going from a bone-stock Zetec to a 220HP car you'll have a lot to relearn in driving technique to really use it.

With the powerworks kit, you also get a very robust calibration ... better than OE MPG and driveability and no issues starting/driving in sub-zero/extremely hot weather or at high altitudes. There is some extra potential in the calibration ... you just run the risk of running on the ragged edge (and voiding your warranty).
'04 PW (#1) Competition Orange SVT 5dr Euro

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.