Ghetto Oil Change - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-22-2005, 10:06 PM   #1
SVTJerbo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9367
What I Drive: 2002 Svtf

FF Reputation: 1 SVTJerbo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ghetto Oil Change

I was wondering if anyone has had a similiarly pathetic experience? I'm going up to the Chicago area for (4)Thanksgiving dinners but thanks to a scheduling conflict I now have to work at 5am instead of noon on Friday so I want to drive back on thursday night. I had planned to knock off an oil change on thanksgiving but now that I have less time i figured it would be rude to shortchange friends and family[despite everything they may have done to be in the past(read- long story)]

So this morning before work I decided to change my oil, I live in an apt. i dont have a catch can/jackstands down here and if i went out and bought all the necessary tools to do this quickly and easily it would be more expensive than going to jiffy lube, which i refuse to do.

So stock jack, an empty milk gallon and covered in oil later I've learned I'm either not that good at planning or this was just damned from the start. I actually did really well but do to space limitations when i intially was taking the drain plug off between a wrench, trying to positon the milk jug and get the plug off perfectly i kinda had a little accident(I twisted the plug further than i planned to when i was trying to draw my wrench hand back and it ended up just falling off and the first rush if oil just got over.. well everything.. sigh
end story

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2005, 10:12 PM   #2
gump1114
DTF

Fan#: 13164
What I Drive: 04 Neon SRT-4, '96 Eagle Talon

FF Reputation: 6 gump1114 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
ok well this story actually went better then i thought it would by the title...
i was expecting like, "yeah i took the car somewhere to get the oil change and they didnt put the drain plug back in, instead the shove a used papertowel in the hole to keep it from leaking too much.... the car didnt make it home..."

try story thought, i was at walmart right after i got my mustang. went to crank it up to leave and the battery was dead (old car, first day i had it). a guy came over to help me jump it off. he had just gotten his oil changed there at wally world. had my battery not been dead he probably never would have opened his hood to see they had not put his oil cap back on. so needless to say there was oil spitting up all over his motor... he wasnt happy with walmart, but maybe i saved him a motor...
Old 11-23-2005, 08:41 AM   #3
Scott_SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 21836
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black w/Blue int SVT

FF Reputation: 4 Scott_SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
try having you head in the wrong place when you accidently tilt the transmission you are taking out a bit to far downward...

hot oil treatment anyone? (not the V05 either)
SVT SQUAD #8
Hurray!! a Squad! how umm... stupid....
Old 11-26-2005, 04:06 PM   #4
HTPerformance

Fan#:
Quote:
Originally posted by gump1114
opened his hood to see they had not put his oil cap back on. so needless to say there was oil spitting up all over his motor...
This happened to my car, kind of similar, but my oil was low, i added some. I heard the cap click, so i assumed it was on tight.

Drove 12 miles to my university, parked it, did my work, came out to find a streak of oil coming out of the grill and down the front bumper.

The cap had come off and completely disappeared.

Ford dealer didnt have one, so I got an SVT Contour cap from my dad's car for a while, and then ended up buying an SVT Contour cap to replace it cuz obviously he needed to drive his car too...

-Brian

Old 11-27-2005, 10:00 PM   #5
pspringe
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 17992
What I Drive: 95 Metro, 03 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 5 pspringe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Nice work. Whatever it takes to keep it out of the "Jiffy Lubes".

Kariertes Hemd und Samenstau, ich studier' Maschienenbau.

Bookmarks & Social Networks