new motor - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-18-2005, 10:10 PM   #1
tension001
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2278
What I Drive: 2001 Infra-Red 5sp ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 tension001 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question new motor

Im looking at having to rebuild my motor pretty soon. So i have a few questions.

1. How can i do this the cheapest?

2. Would i be better off buying a complete motor to swap out while i rebuild my current motor or buy a block and start there with new internals and run on my current setup?

The motor in the car has metal in the oil and is grinding up a rod bearing, so ill have to rebuild the motor soon unless it blows once the bearing is gone. How would you guys go at this? I don't want to just drop the pan and replace the bearings because that doesn't help at all, there will still be metal in the oil, even if i change it.

If i have to pull the motor i would like to build the bottom end while its out... but how much more money am i looking at if i do this?

Im going to have to buy another motor to put in so i can drive the car during the process... But i don't know if i should build a motor to go in or buy a motor to put in and build the other one.

Hope im being clear with this, if not i apologize. But any help is appreciated and if you can give me hard prices that would be great.

Thanks

OBX 4-2-1 Race Header; Borla 2.5" SVT Catback; MAC Short Ram; FC 65mm TB; FC Race Shifter; Gear Concepts Aluminum Pedals; Painted Interior; SVT Front Bumper and grille
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2005, 11:26 PM   #2
mr.squatch
Focus Addict

Fan#: 4112
What I Drive: 02 zx3

FF Reputation: 1 mr.squatch Good Standing Member
Cheapest way is to buy a new block, a used crank (yours is probably toast if you're turning rod bearings) and go from there. A new block can be had from ford for less than $200. Then you can use the components you want to use and re-use all the outside pieces from your old one. Buy a new oil pump, a reman waterpump,,, new gaskets, u can reuse your oil pan and lower crank case. once u get the shortblock built, (block, crank, rods/pistons) you can take yours out, bolt all the parts onto it, and have it back in the car within a day.

g
Old 04-19-2005, 03:12 PM   #3
tension001
Focus Addict

cool. So say roughly 200 for the block, how much would a used crank run average?? I know the rods i would buy are about 350-400, not sure about pistons or anything.

How much you think ill have to spend in the end?

OBX 4-2-1 Race Header; Borla 2.5" SVT Catback; MAC Short Ram; FC 65mm TB; FC Race Shifter; Gear Concepts Aluminum Pedals; Painted Interior; SVT Front Bumper and grille
Old 04-20-2005, 02:56 AM   #4
afocusu
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18563
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 afocusu Good Standing Member
The price for a rebuild will vary depending on what all you want to do. Straight rebuild can be anywhere from 500 - 1k

Drop performance pistons, cams, etc. and the price climbs to 2k - 3k

Buy a complete engine from ford racing (http://www.fordracingparts.com/crateengine/fourcyl.asp) and spend between 2600 to 3700.

There are alot of variables as far as how much it's going to cost you.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:50 AM   #5
mr.squatch
Focus Addict

Fan#: 4112
What I Drive: 02 zx3

FF Reputation: 1 mr.squatch Good Standing Member
To rebuild it stock, like he says you can do it pretty cheap, then mill the head to get compression.... or you can use forged parts and spend as much as you want. I'm somewhere in the 7-8k range on my new motor, and its nowhere near complete. ;) used crank can be found on ebay for $50 if u shop around, or ask around who's on more than one engine, they'll have a spare. We have a couple spares, but at this rate we'll be building another one before too long :P

g
Old 04-20-2005, 07:23 AM   #6
cdyess01
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 4618
What I Drive: 2003 Ford Focus ZX5 Premium

FF Reputation: 1 cdyess01 Good Standing Member
I just had to get another 2.0 Zetec put in my 2003 due to water damage (hydrolock) and the *used* engine the Ford Dealership bought to put in my Focus (with 30,000 miles) was right at $800.00 not including the labor (thank God for insurance).
Old 04-20-2005, 09:28 PM   #7
tension001
Focus Addict

Mr. Squatch, what are all the torque specs ill need?? or where is a good place to find them?

Bookmarks & Social Networks