SVT paint - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > Focus SVT

Focus SVT The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK1 2002-2004 Focus SVT.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-18-2005, 04:37 PM   #1
Marleetet
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 13463
What I Drive: 2004 Infra Red SVT Focus 2DR Euro

FF Reputation: 1 Marleetet Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Unhappy SVT paint

I have a 2004 Infra Red SVTF3. I picked it up, new, in October 2004. It only has 2100 miles on it and is in the garage when I'm not driving it.

We just had our first perfectly gorgeous Sunday, get out and wash the car day, of the season. The car's paint job looks pretty bad. There are several spots where the paint has chipped and the top of the back bumper, which has maybe seen the occassional slide of a paper grocery bag, looks abused.

My 2002 Durango (which I would NOT reccomend to anyone) and my 1994 Jeep Wrangler (you would have to pry my cold dead hands off the wheel to get it) both look like they have newer paint jobs.

I got a chance to really look the car over good, in a well lit area, when I took posession of it: it looked new.

What gives? My old man had a 1994 F150 that sloughed paint like it was going out of style (There was a recall). Is anyone else having problems with the paint on their SVT?

Other than that, I really love this car!

Mark

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2005, 05:40 PM   #2
iRebound
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9673
What I Drive: 2006 Black Magic VW GTI 2.0T

FF Reputation: 1 iRebound Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
yea...the paint seems really thin. i have a lot of paint chips too...there's a lot of swirls on the top of my bumper too...but a good polish can fix that right up.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:40 PM   #3
SVT4ME

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
Yeah I think that's part of it at least, both the paint and the clearcoat over the paint are just really super thin. My car cleans up nice after Einszett polish and wax, but you can still see plenty of light scratching in certain areas, especially on the top of the rear bumper. If I had my choice of color again, I would have gone with my first instinct, CD Silver, instead of Sonic Blue because the silver is much better at hiding imperfections.

The paint on the front of my car is pretty messed up now - I was just looking at some pictures I took when the car was new(ish) and you can really see a difference, now my front bumper and the leading edge of the hood are just covered in small nicks and gouges (and I don't do a lot of driving, either, so far an average of about 5,000 miles a year). The paint does seem to be pretty easy to damage.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:52 PM   #4
dgualtie

Fan#: 15238
What I Drive: 03 IR SVT

FF Reputation: 1 dgualtie Good Standing Member
i had to drive alot this winter and now i have about a dozen various size chips in my hood and 2 in my windshield. How easy is it to find touch up paint?
SVT squad #7
Old 04-18-2005, 06:56 PM   #5
SVT4ME

I think a lot of people got matching touch-up paint when they bought the car (I didn't but I bought the car lightly used)... otherwise the dealer will certainly be able to provide you with the right color. There's even places on the internet where as long as you know your paint code, you can order a bottle of touch-up paint.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:34 PM   #6
MISVTfocus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13841
What I Drive: 08 Fusion SEL, Focus ST on order

FF Reputation: 1 MISVTfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
That touch up paint is really hard to use!
Old 04-18-2005, 07:40 PM   #7
dgualtie

Quote:
Originally posted by SVT4ME
I think a lot of people got matching touch-up paint when they bought the car (I didn't but I bought the car lightly used)
i got mine used too and it didnt come with touch up paint.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:47 PM   #8
SVT4ME

I see you have an Infra Red SVT too, red is a PITA to try to touch up in my experience because it never seems to look right. I used to have a car that had been repainted red using the same paint that Honda/Acura used in the 90's, so it had a bottle of matching Acura touch up paint to go with it - and I tried to touch up a few nicks and gave up because they just didn't match the shade of red on the car at all, in spite of being the same paint.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:53 PM   #9
dgualtie

Quote:
Originally posted by SVT4ME
I see you have an Infra Red SVT too, red is a PITA to try to touch up in my experience because it never seems to look right. I used to have a car that had been repainted red using the same paint that Honda/Acura used in the 90's, so it had a bottle of matching Acura touch up paint to go with it - and I tried to touch up a few nicks and gave up because they just didn't match the shade of red on the car at all, in spite of being the same paint.

that is discouraging to hear. i might try to touch it up atleast to protect the metal that is exposed.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:56 PM   #10
SVT4ME

LOL, sorry, it's not THAT bad, it's just that in my case the red was very "red" and the touched-up areas looked much darker. But you're right, it's a good idea to fill the chips in just to prevent any chance of corrosion.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.