Typhoon CAI took 0.8 seconds off 0-60 times!!! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-18-2005, 01:21 AM   #1
pzevfloord140
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 22040
What I Drive: 2005 Pitch Black ST

FF Reputation: 1 pzevfloord140 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thumbs up Typhoon CAI took 0.8 seconds off 0-60 times!!!

I had a buddy in the car, using a very accurate timewatch, test my 0-60 times on a cold night in California, well not that cold because its CA. Anyways... without the cold air intake my 2005 Focus ST ran a 7.8 seconds, tested about 5 times just to make sure.

With the K&N Typhoon & Drycharger Kit intake installed it did 7 seconds flat over and over. Don't forget there was another person in the car, he weighs about 195! I highly recommend this intake for anyone with a 2.3L Duratec. Dyno results indicate about 8.7 hp gain at the wheels, at the wheels! It really woke up my ST!

What's also very sweet about this intake is that ofcourse the sound changed drastically, but now the driver and people outside the car can really hear the air being sucked it in the motor, especialy when the car has sat over night and started up in the morning. Because all ST's have sport tuned suspension, adding intake made the muffler sound so much more beefy. I make it sound like it has a turbo if I shift right after 3,200 RPM's and push the gas a little bit, let's out a "ppppssssss" noise. And also, I raced my buddy's 2004 GTI 1.8T and it was perfectly even up untill about 100 mph. He is a gearhead so I know he's shifting properly. These new aluminum block/head Mazda engines really kick buns! Any questions about installation let me know, i'd be glad to help!

Check out my ride and installation pics (also Dyno results):

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/818812

Last edited by pzevfloord140; 04-18-2005 at 01:49 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2005, 08:34 AM   #2
PDQEagle
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9356
What I Drive: 03 Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 11 PDQEagle Great Standing Member
Point of interest to a comment on your pictures "8.7 hp equals about 15 at the crank" or such. An increase of 8.7 at the wheels equals 8.7 at the crank, because the drivetrain and accessories don't take up any more power.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:25 AM   #3
jollyjohnj
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 235
What I Drive: 03 Infrared Focus SVT, 01 Mercury Villager

FF Reputation: 1 jollyjohnj Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Re: Typhoon CAI took 0.8 seconds off 0-60 times!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by pzevfloord140
[B]
Because all ST's have sport tuned suspension, adding intake made the muffler sound so much more beefy.

huh?
SVT SQUAD #39
Old 04-18-2005, 09:26 AM   #4
jollyjohnj
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by PDQEagle
Point of interest to a comment on your pictures "8.7 hp equals about 15 at the crank" or such. An increase of 8.7 at the wheels equals 8.7 at the crank, because the drivetrain and accessories don't take up any more power.
double huh?
SVT SQUAD #39
Old 04-18-2005, 10:01 AM   #5
P0WeRbyDuratec
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2109
What I Drive: 2012 WRX Limited

FF Reputation: 1 P0WeRbyDuratec Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by PDQEagle
its funny because there is a loss of power from the crank to the wheels. Thats why when ford says duratecs have a 150 hp, it means that that measurement is at the crank. At the wheels the hp is more like 130 for manuals, and 115 for automatics. Meaning that there is a loss at the drivetrain.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:53 AM   #6
pzevfloord140
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 22040
What I Drive: 2005 Pitch Black ST

FF Reputation: 1 pzevfloord140 Good Standing Member
Talking "Know-it-alls"

I like how the only thing people had to comment was on correcting me. I accidently said suspension, when I meant to say exhaust. Oh and "Simply Domestic Focus" is correct about the hp gain. If the hp at the crank is 150, its really about 130. My point was to tell Duratec owners that this intake is sweet, why is forum full of haters? WE ALL DRIVE A FOCUS DON'T WE? Maybe 15hp at the crank was a little much, more like 13. But if 8.7 hp was gained at the wheels, than it would be correct to say my "base" or "crank" increased also.....

One correction I have to make is that ST's do have tuned exhaust. If you don't agree with me than you really don't know your car.

To PDQ Eagle, know your stuff before you make silly comments!
Old 04-18-2005, 12:16 PM   #7
svt4chris
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8821
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black SVT 3-door

FF Reputation: 1 svt4chris Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
CONCLUSION, which nobody can dispute:

The CAI makes the ST sound better and go faster. Unless you don't like a louder engine. In which case go away.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:39 PM   #8
microtonal
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Re: "Know-it-alls"

Quote:
I like how the only thing people had to comment was on correcting me. I accidently said suspension, when I meant to say exhaust. Oh and "Simply Domestic Focus" is correct about the hp gain. If the hp at the crank is 150, its really about 130. My point was to tell Duratec owners that this intake is sweet, why is forum full of haters? WE ALL DRIVE A FOCUS DON'T WE? Maybe 15hp at the crank was a little much, more like 13. But if 8.7 hp was gained at the wheels, than it would be correct to say my "base" or "crank" increased also.....

One correction I have to make is that ST's do have tuned exhaust. If you don't agree with me than you really don't know your car.

I think your method of measuring time is subjective.
Taking almost a second off time your 0-60 with an 8.7 increase hp seems a little far fetched...

Do a search on a dyno calulator and it will tell you a closer average of maybe shaving off .3 off a 1/4 mile.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:00 PM   #9
foc_this
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 17666
What I Drive: 05 zx4 se sonic blue

FF Reputation: 2 foc_this Good Standing Member
yo homie im there with you i test drove a st and i belive that with the tuned exhaust that it has all i realy needed was a Air kit to wake it up. as for the sound note the exhaust makes i can only imagine how it sounds now, good luck with the car homie and have fun
Old 04-18-2005, 01:29 PM   #10
jollyjohnj
Focus Fanatic

Re: "Know-it-alls"

Quote:

whooaa, whoaaaa, whooooaaaah there... I commented on the sport tuned suspension comment. I was just merely pointing out that I didn't understand what you were saying, which I didn't. Now you come back with "haters" and griping about correcting you. I wasn't correcting you, I was wanting you to clarify, but since you came back with all this attitude then I have to point out it was your stupid mistake that had me confused to begin with.
SVT SQUAD #39

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.