Washing Engine Bay - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection

Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection Discuss wax, polish, chamois, microfiber towels, simple cloth towel, scratch repair and paint protection. Use this Forum to discuss your cleaning tricks and techniques.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-01-2005, 07:51 PM   #11
Lil PZEV
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Adk, have you tried that method on the new ZX4 yet? Just with all the exposed wires from coil-on-plug it's completely different from the 2000, ya know?

I'm just scared trying to clean my engine I'll destroy it, that would suck so bad...
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2005, 04:15 PM   #12
Gismo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20266
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver C-Dan

FF Reputation: 1 Gismo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I just washed my engine the other day. You guys will probably kill me for this, but i use one of those do it your self coin ops. My engine bay was so dirty and i was desperate. So I put in like 2bucks and then proceeded to pressure wash the engine. But wait theres more... after the quick soak I grabed the brushy thing and turned the nozzle to tire cleaner and degreaser. Then I went to work using the tire brush on the engine, being careful not to pull any of the connectors loose. I think I hit everything but the headers. After I got done with that I once again pressure washed the engine to get the degreaser off. Then I sprayed armor all on all the black pieces in there (fuse box, battery cover, pzev equipment) basically If its black and in the engine compartment, it got baptized with armor all. then i wiped off the excess and started the motor to burn off all the excess water.

After hearing all the horror stories Im not sure what all the fuss is about. My engine compartment is goregous now and I havent had ne problems.

Also, I did this on the Duratec with the coil on plug ignition and the rats nest of cables.
-- During the next 24 hours, the world will consume the equivalent of 220 million barrels of oil. That energy drives the economic progress that improves the quality of life for people around the world. Do I give a damn? Not as long as supercars are guzzling it. --

~Jeremy~
Old 05-03-2005, 05:24 PM   #13
Adkhunter
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 22430
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 and 2005 ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 Adkhunter Good Standing Member
Amanda, I haven't tried it yet on the 2005 I will have to coem up with something....

Jeremy, Thanks for keeping us posted.....living on the edge huh? LOL Someone has to try it right? I'll be next unless someone beats me to in it the next 6 months

Adk

2005 ZX4- White, 215 miles, the "becareful" car!!
Old 05-03-2005, 05:34 PM   #14
shaunq
Focus Addict

Fan#: 20015
What I Drive: was SVT silver focus now black sentra ser spec v

FF Reputation: 1 shaunq Good Standing Member
haha I justr go to the car wash and degrease everything and spray it off after a while of just letting it set in Im really carefull not to spray the intake filter on my short ram. It works really good.

I WANT MY FOURTH STAR SO I CAN BE A FOCUS ADDICT ALREADY!!!! lol
Old 05-03-2005, 07:59 PM   #15
Sting2324
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 9745
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black Focus SE SPi

FF Reputation: 1 Sting2324 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Yea i don't understand why you would have to cover electrical connectors. Water does get in the engine compartment, even under normal conditions, that's why Ford and most, if not all the manufacture's put cover's on their fuse boxs and anything else that can be damaged from water. If we are referring to some pressure washers, then use the same caution as you would to the exterior. We wouldn't want to put a 1500 psi shot at our paint, as this for sure will blast the clearcoat off. I currently work part time at a parts store that continuisly and regularly receive calls from bodyshops, yes dealership's too, about how to do this and how to do that. It's actually amazing how many calls we get a day to find out the proper procedure to do something and to do it right. I'll ask them tomorrow on thier recommendations on engine cleaning/degreasing.

Thanks,
Randy
Old 05-04-2005, 12:40 AM   #16
rollon19's
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6189
What I Drive: 2003 pitch black zx5

FF Reputation: 1 rollon19's Good Standing Member
just like gismo said ,i clean the engine bay with a pressure washer and degreaser, works awesome, but make sure the engine is cold! and dont spend too much time with the fuse box and distributor and things like that, best thing for them is wet and wipe em clean ;)
Old 05-04-2005, 12:51 PM   #17
ZX4STDoug
I don't care

Fan#: 19367
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang V6 6 speed

Points 7,043, Level 55
Points: 7,043, Level: 55 Points: 7,043, Level: 55 Points: 7,043, Level: 55
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 13 ZX4STDoug Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I've had very good luck using Simple Green for engines, if they're not too grimey and all [:)][:)][:)][:)]ed up. Spray it on a cold engine, let it soak for a few minutes, then simply hose it off with a garden hose or LIGHT pressure from a coin wash. I've never had an electrical or driveability issue, but it's always in the back of my mind.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:49 PM   #18
Sting2324
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 9745
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black Focus SE SPi

FF Reputation: 1 Sting2324 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I asked the most knowledgeable person there, and the only recommendation he could give was make sure the engine is cold. He did say however that if you have an older engine with a distributor, you might want to be careful. But modern engines are certainly capable of powerwashing. Simple green is a very good cleaner..infact they even make a simple green specially for auto's. I'm currently stuck on Meguir's products. Not there consumer line, but the professional line. I managed to persuade the manager to let me, "demo" some wheel brightner and super degreaser...sht..goin offtopic..

--randy
Old 05-04-2005, 09:32 PM   #19
ZX4STDoug
I don't care

Fan#: 19367
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang V6 6 speed

Points 7,043, Level 55
Points: 7,043, Level: 55 Points: 7,043, Level: 55 Points: 7,043, Level: 55
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 13 ZX4STDoug Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Hmmm...I found this Simple Green in the automotive section @ Meijer, but I think it's just plain ole Simple Green. I'll have to check out the automotive stuff too; wonder if it's stronger or ?
Old 05-04-2005, 10:30 PM   #20
Lil PZEV
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
I've only ever seen SG-Automotive in this tiny bottle at Ocean State Job Lot (ghetto discount chain). I bought it, since it was like $1, but I've never used it on anything...

My guess is the Auto is more concentrated maybe? I haven't set 2 bottles side by each to compare labels, but I doubt they're particularly different?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.