D20 Best RPM for launch - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Drag Racing

Drag Racing The place to discuss information about drag racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2014, 12:59 PM   #1
yellowhatch
Focus Enthusiast
 
yellowhatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Fan#: 126730
Location: Fayetteville, NC
What I Drive: 2006 Yellow Focus ZX3 MTX

Posts: 216
FF Reputation: 3 yellowhatch Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
D20 Best RPM for launch

Hi, I am heading back to the dragstrip to hopefully beat my old best time of 16.2 @85.31. My car since then now has much more upgrades (you can see them in my mod list) not to mention a tune. My last runs were also with a non tach cluster so I had no idea where I was launching from, that has also changed since then. My goal is to at least hit mid 15's (though something like 15.2 would be nice). What is the best RPM to launch the D20 with minimal wheelspin? I have heard 2600ish before, other input would be nice. I am also running a Cosi-knockoff which changed my powerband dramatically for a nice boost of upper RPMs. Thanks in advance.


yellowhatch is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-26-2014, 01:13 PM   #2
onlycodered
Focus Enthusiast
 
onlycodered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Fan#: 149570
Location: Rochester, NY
What I Drive: '09 Vista Blue SES coupe 5spd

Posts: 346
FF Reputation: 4 onlycodered Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
It really all depends on what tires you have, how sticky they are, how wide they are, etc. If you have motor mounts that can change things too. There's really no set in stone RPM to launch at. Power mods change how easy it is for the engine to break the tires loose too. Way too many variables. You can try some test launches on a side street to get an idea but it'll never be the same as a track.

My best 1/4 so far was in my Mustang at 14.01 secs. Not too bad for a V6.
__________________
2009 Focus SES coupe ╠╬╝ // Steeda 22mm rear sway :: Steeda STS, Redline boot, Blox 490 knob :: EBC Redstuff
2012 Mustang 3.7L ╠╬╣ // Sold
onlycodered is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:21 PM   #3
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic
 
mac.mogul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Fan#: 90409
Location: Wichita, KS
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

Posts: 3,711
FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Totally stock on stock tires I launched at about 3k RPM with minimal wheelspin.

Since your mods change your powerband, I think you're gonna have to figure it out for yourself unless someone with the exact same mods has something to say...
__________________
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
mac.mogul is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:42 PM   #4
yellowhatch
Focus Enthusiast
 
yellowhatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Fan#: 126730
Location: Fayetteville, NC
What I Drive: 2006 Yellow Focus ZX3 MTX

Posts: 216
FF Reputation: 3 yellowhatch Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlycodered View Post
It really all depends on what tires you have, how sticky they are, how wide they are, etc. If you have motor mounts that can change things too. There's really no set in stone RPM to launch at. Power mods change how easy it is for the engine to break the tires loose too. Way too many variables. You can try some test launches on a side street to get an idea but it'll never be the same as a track.

My best 1/4 so far was in my Mustang at 14.01 secs. Not too bad for a V6.
No upgraded motor mounts (yet). Gonna have to save up first. I am running crappy Firestone Affinitys. Those 3.7 Cyclones are good bang for your buck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
Totally stock on stock tires I launched at about 3k RPM with minimal wheelspin.

Since your mods change your powerband, I think you're gonna have to figure it out for yourself unless someone with the exact same mods has something to say...
Thanks.
yellowhatch is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:42 PM   #5
streetfocus
Focus Addict
 
streetfocus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Fan#: 5768
Location: Austin, TX
What I Drive: 2004 Black Focus SVT

Posts: 1,093
FF Reputation: 2 streetfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
In my last D20, I was launching at just under 3K and achieved a 15.9. Now then, I only had an intake, tune, exhaust with low profile tires on 17s (not ideal for drag racing, but I felt it was pretty good anyway). You are going to have to test out a few launches to see what works best, especially since you have the intake manifold and header now. Sounds like a low 15 is in your future!
__________________
05 ZX3: Steeda intake, 67mm TB, custom 2.5 Magnaflow exhaust, Tom's Tune.

New: 04 SVT : K&N panel filter, 3 performance motor mounts, Taylor wires, orp, 67mm TB, Tom's Tune.
streetfocus is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:30 PM   #6
yellowhatch
Focus Enthusiast
 
yellowhatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Fan#: 126730
Location: Fayetteville, NC
What I Drive: 2006 Yellow Focus ZX3 MTX

Posts: 216
FF Reputation: 3 yellowhatch Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetfocus View Post
In my last D20, I was launching at just under 3K and achieved a 15.9. Now then, I only had an intake, tune, exhaust with low profile tires on 17s (not ideal for drag racing, but I felt it was pretty good anyway). You are going to have to test out a few launches to see what works best, especially since you have the intake manifold and header now. Sounds like a low 15 is in your future!

I like the sound of that, can't wait to go back out there.
yellowhatch is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.