I Want To Make My Boring '07 Sedan Better - Please Help?!? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-24-2014, 02:01 PM   #1
Gudziel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 72249
What I Drive: 2007 Aqua Blue ZX4 SE

FF Reputation: 2 Gudziel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Question I Want To Make My Boring '07 Sedan Better - Please Help?!?

Hey guys!

I've got a horrible looking car and the desire to make the most of it. Well, to be honest, I've had it since I bought it in '06 when it came out. It's a manual 2007 Aqua Blue Sedan SE with a monotonous tan interior. It maybe too late to want to do this, but if I'm going to run this car into the ground (which is at 93k w/ new clutch) I want to at least make it a bit more unique and interesting.

Here's the deal. I want to spruce up the interior, and possibly the exterior, as much as possible. Meaning, I'd like to do some vinyl trims in the inside, add an LED instrument cluster, buy some seat covers and new floor mats, buy some "ok to decent" pedals and possibly do something to the outside.

Restrictions: Don't own a garage and want to keep it within a few hundred.

I've recently purchased a Blox 490 shiny gun metal shift knob. I would like (down the road) tint my windows. With pedals and vinyl trims/cluster I feel like I'm on the right track. I would also like to put in some LED lights under the dash in the foot compartments but I gotta find a proper how to.

Here are my questions:

First of all - ANYONE KNOW A GOOD VINYL COLOR SCHEME TO GO WITH THIS TAN?!?!?! That's my main issue right now.
Secondly - Anyone offer advice on a decent set of pedals?
Thirdly - Anyone point me in the direction of a how to on installing LED lights in the foot compartments? (looked and can't find one)
Finally - Any advice on what I can do on the outside (or other ideas on the inside) to make my car more appealing. I really don't like the color of this car but possibly someone more creative, I'd be happier.

Help a boring car guy appear unique! I'm by no means a racer with a sedan, but want to make the most of what I got. I should have done this a long time ago but I never realized all the possibilities until lately. Since I have a new clutch, alternator, CNC, drums, etc; I can get a few more years out of this car (I believe). So why not make the most of it!?!

Thank you all!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2014, 02:15 AM   #2
RSVT170
FocusRush

Fan#: 28451
What I Drive: '13 ST2 & '05 ZXW

FF Reputation: 42 RSVT170 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
1st. Tan can look great! Just stick with tan with little bits of black. It's hard to resisit the temptation to just go black all over, but tan can be very lux looking. A cool headliner like in Marine Corp digital camo looks good (forgot who did it here, but it looks pretty bad ass!) or in a medium brown.

just be sure to not get the cheap headliner material, go a little nicer. Any upholstery shop will have samples for you to look at. In the right spots, you could even paint or vinyl wrap a few key pieces in the same color as the exterior. This can be a dangerous hole to get into as many (imho) go too far with it. Just remember, if you're going to add color, it becomes a focal point in the interior, make sure its worth looking at. I don't think AC Vents and arm rests are really all that appealing of a place to add color.

2nd. Pedals: SVT. Done. In expensive and they are OEM. They are not some crap bolt on covers, but complete replacement pedals. Check with our OEM Ford Parts SPonsors here on the site for pricing and availability. Easy install too!

3rdly: Adding footwell lights can look cool if done correctly. Since you have tan carpet, it may throw the color of the lights off quite a bit and have a tendancy to make things look dirty. I suggest going to a local junkyard, or purchasing new some replacement black carpet. New only costs about $150 and gives you that new car smell too! This will help mute the under mount lighting and give it a real good glow. A blue light off black, for example, looks much better than a blue light off tan. Also by adding black to the carpet, you'll give the car a fresh clean look and it hides future stains much better than the tan. The contrast between the black and tan would look pretty nice. For installation, just tap off the wires that are already there for lighting. Don't cut the wires, just tap into them just in case you want to go back to stock for whatever reason in the future. fairly straight forward and I'm sure there are a number of write-ups and how-to's here on FF.

Finally: Front Bumper: Paint the lower grill! black! It's a common mod for those of us with an 05-07 front bumper. Looks very OEM but way more aggressive. Black housing headlights from ebay for about $120 go along way as well as blacking out the chrome around the grill.
HATCH NATION #139 | 2013 ST "P5" | Sponsored By: Borla, Wilwood, Vortech, & Mothers Polish

2005 ZXW "P7" | Flowmaster Exhaust | XXR 521 | Vogtland Springs | SAP Front Bumper | Roush skirts
Old 06-25-2014, 02:16 AM   #3
RSVT170
FocusRush

Fan#: 28451
What I Drive: '13 ST2 & '05 ZXW

FF Reputation: 42 RSVT170 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Oh, and before someone else says it, Tint and Lower it.
HATCH NATION #139 | 2013 ST "P5" | Sponsored By: Borla, Wilwood, Vortech, & Mothers Polish

2005 ZXW "P7" | Flowmaster Exhaust | XXR 521 | Vogtland Springs | SAP Front Bumper | Roush skirts
Old 06-25-2014, 07:12 AM   #4
Gudziel
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks RSVT for your reply!

I was thinking about doing certain areas black (or possibly go a dark brushed metalic-getting samples sent in from 3M) with the tan. Also, I want to do something with the speedometer dash trim bezel. Thinking about buying a black one online or also placing the same vinyl choice onto the original. When looking around for ideas, I've seen great color schemes with tan and vinyl (metalics/dark), but those were on other cars with different trims that wrapped around the interior of the car. Other than the vent, center and speedometer dash trims, I really only have the door. As I mentioned, I'm looking into performing some lighting changes to my instrument cluster and hvac dash. So we'll see. But the idea of placing some of the exterior color in the inside of the car doesn't really appeal to me. This Aqua blue is odd. Although (just speaking out loud), if I do certain parts of the interior trim black/metallic, it might not look so bad if I add some outlining material (small diameter, easily manipulated) of that color to the trimmed pieces. Maybe not. Just throwing it out there. Hmm.

As for the carpet, that's a great idea. I would definitely like the black carpet with tan seats and interior! If I purchased that, I'd have to rip out everything from inside to install it, which I've never done before. I know that there are bolts holding the seats down in within the track. And I'd probably have to rip out the center console. Anything else I'd have to take out that you know of?

As for painting the bumper, that sounds easy enough to do. I've read great how-to's here on FF to do so. My question is about painting the grill though. I have yet to see any how-to's on that. Do you know of any? I've taken the grill out before, but can only imagine how monotonous it must be to get into each of the holes of the grill (slatted chrome) with sandpaper to paint. Is there another method?

Thanks again for your reply and ideas! I really do appreciate it! I'll continue to experiment with photoshop and make changes, to give me a better idea of what I could do without going overboard. I know it may sound it, but the last thing that I want to do is to make this look tacky. Thanks!
Old 06-25-2014, 09:27 AM   #5
FreeFocus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 112674
What I Drive: 2002 Toreador Red Focus Se

FF Reputation: 2 FreeFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
So what brought about the sudden change?

I think the black carpet would look good, and hide the stains a little better. But yes taking everything apart will be an experience, but when something breaks you have a better understanding of how it all works and goes together. That is my thinking anyway.

I don't know if you have ever heard of plastidip, but that is some fun stuff to mess around with, and you will learn that it isn't permanent. Nightshade is another option too, tint taillights. I would definitely tint the windows, but lowering your car isn't a necessity. Im only lowered because I had a stock coil spring break. Tint should cost around 170$ depending on where you live.

I did the whole footwell lighting thing to my car to, it was actually pretty easy. Instead of splicing into another wire, you can buy an "add a fuse"and a toggle switch. I can't remember what website I used but it ended up being less than 15$ all said and done. Superbrightleds.com would be a good place to start for some different lighting options. Shipping is cheap and fast.

Ignore the dirt, had to take floor mats out to wash, was cleaning the whole car.

But yeah the possibilities are endless, weathertech floor mats, fog lights, the center console is a piece of cake to get out. new stereo, shorty antennae, black out ford badges.

SR #289
Old 06-25-2014, 09:29 AM   #6
FreeFocus
Focus Addict

Go sedans!

SR #289
Old 06-25-2014, 09:54 AM   #7
Gudziel
Focus Enthusiast

That looks awesome, Free Focus!

Um... why the sudden change?

Well honestly, I've just replaced the entire clutch, CMC, alternator, etc. I'm most likely going to have this car for another 4 - 5 years, or until the engine or transmission go. I've always wanted to do things to the vehicle, but never actually followed through with it. After reading and seeing all the how-to's, I've finally worked up the desire to finally go through with it.

After having this car for almost 8yrs now, I know how reliable it is. I love this car, just really don't like the color of the exterior/interior. I don't want to throw a lot of money into changing it. But if I can do some small things that can make it more interesting then I'm all for it!

Carpeting is a great idea, but so is weathertech floor mats. I'm still looking into it and decide my best option. My carpets right now are destroyed from winters with salt. Even with rubber floor mats, still got on the carpet in the cracks. I don't think that any kind of carpet cleaning can recover it.

The lighting looks great in your footwells. I'm going to have to find out the best way of doing it. I have no problem working on electrical projects here at work. But when it comes to my car, I get nervous since I rely on it heavily. But I'll look into your site that you linked to start off!

I will look into tinting of the tail lights. Any how-to's or best places to go for the tint?

I agree with you that taking things apart is sometimes the best way to learn. Because of this site, I replaced my own clutch master cylinder and reverse switch on my transmission. I was nervous as all hell at first, but after doing it, I'm extremely comfortable with working on my car (where I don't need a garage to lift it up completely).
Old 06-25-2014, 10:25 AM   #8
Gudziel
Focus Enthusiast

Is it ok to put LED bulbs in the tail lights (reverse/brake bulbs)? Do I need to insert resistors or worry about anything overheating?

Thanks
Old 06-25-2014, 11:59 AM   #9
FreeFocus
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudziel View Post
Is it ok to put LED bulbs in the tail lights (reverse/brake bulbs)? Do I need to insert resistors or worry about anything overheating?

Thanks
I actually just did this last friday. Yes you can put them in there with no problem. I will say that just remember that you have the reflective housing so just buy the right one to make a difference. Should be about 10-20 dollars a bulb depending on what you get. For the turn signals the 12 dollar ones will be fine but for the brake lights spend the extra 6 or 7 dollars.

As for the resistors... IF you like the hyper blinking that will happen kudos to you. Mine still blink very fast and I think it is kinda funny. The LED doesn't give enough charge so the car thinks you have a light out which is why it does that. So if you don't mind the fast blinking it is just plug and play.

SR #289
Old 06-25-2014, 12:07 PM   #10
FreeFocus
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudziel View Post
That looks awesome, Free Focus!

Um... why the sudden change?

Well honestly, I've just replaced the entire clutch, CMC, alternator, etc. I'm most likely going to have this car for another 4 - 5 years, or until the engine or transmission go. I've always wanted to do things to the vehicle, but never actually followed through with it. After reading and seeing all the how-to's, I've finally worked up the desire to finally go through with it.

After having this car for almost 8yrs now, I know how reliable it is. I love this car, just really don't like the color of the exterior/interior. I don't want to throw a lot of money into changing it. But if I can do some small things that can make it more interesting then I'm all for it!

Carpeting is a great idea, but so is weathertech floor mats. I'm still looking into it and decide my best option. My carpets right now are destroyed from winters with salt. Even with rubber floor mats, still got on the carpet in the cracks. I don't think that any kind of carpet cleaning can recover it.

The lighting looks great in your footwells. I'm going to have to find out the best way of doing it. I have no problem working on electrical projects here at work. But when it comes to my car, I get nervous since I rely on it heavily. But I'll look into your site that you linked to start off!

I will look into tinting of the tail lights. Any how-to's or best places to go for the tint?

I agree with you that taking things apart is sometimes the best way to learn. Because of this site, I replaced my own clutch master cylinder and reverse switch on my transmission. I was nervous as all hell at first, but after doing it, I'm extremely comfortable with working on my car (where I don't need a garage to lift it up completely).
Much appreciated!! I try to make it look different than all the others that I see on the road. Yeah doing all that I can see why you will want to make it better seeing as you will have it for years to come...hopefully right.

You can use the search bar and I believe there is a thread for like "30 dollars and under mods", pretty creative stuff on there if you ever get bored.

My mats are great, I think like 80 bucks for the front, no one is in the rear so I don't worry about it, keeps the carpet so much cleaner and nicer looking.

Haha, I am by no means an electrician either, this forum has helped so many times its unbelievable. I put fog lights in my car and had to drill through the firewall, that made me very nervous, but it worked out as people had done it and I asked for help.

To tint the taillights, I just washed the car, then played it safe and took the taillights out. Taped off what I didn't want. Then sprayed light coats on it. How dark you want it depends on how many coats you put on and how heavy. Nightshade is about 13 dollars for a spraycan of it. Other people will use films, personal preference I believe. But nightshade will fade over time, 6 months-year. It is removable as well.

Doing things yourself saves so much money as well. Ive done my own oil changes and such for a while now. I save about 15 dollars and get the synthetic stuff.
Anything else let me know.

SR #289

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->