it gets a bad wrap - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-17-2014, 07:42 PM   #11
a_2000_se
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62964
What I Drive: 2000 SE SOHC SPI, Compression @ 164

FF Reputation: 15 a_2000_se Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperThreat View Post
.......I'm not trying to sound like a hater, but from a car-enthusiast's point of view, the SPI is about as interesting as a Prius.
But they are extremely easy to work on, even in the worst of times . For even the most novice of mechanics. It may be just where your passion isn't.
Replaced #4 Piston, Rings, Rod+Bearings, AERA Re-Manufactured Cylinder Head and a light Hone. Then CLEANED the hell out of everything.
60k+ miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2014, 08:07 PM   #12
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
They would be absolutely excellent cars and I don't understand Fords' walking away from them when a fix would have been so easy. Not like every other make out there repeats valve seat dropping over and over. (Actually I DO understand but it requires me to be so cynical that I do not want to go there at all.)

Some SPI will NEVER do it but that doesn't make anyone who does the research feel any better when they discover the issue. Usually AFTER they have the car. To me car research on your exact model is a joy to do, or should be, you are getting a leg up on what will probably happen in the future so that you can work things out to the betterment of you. Not much of that gonna happen here unless you just grin and bear it and it either happens or it doesn't. What about those who want to take a long trip? What about the reliability factor when you let your younger child drive one late at night coming back from work?

In my view this all goes back to Ford and the outside worlds' perception of the way it does things. I suggest that anyone who has ever been burned with one of these vote with next car purchase to not go to a company that does that so in your face as if to emphasize 'you'll take what we give you or else'. No excuse for such a major manufacturer to act like that.

It's about more than a simple engine there.............
Old 06-18-2014, 01:56 AM   #13
ViperThreat
Moderator OF DOOM

Fan#: 66026
What I Drive: '06 WRX Wagon 285whp/292wtq

FF Reputation: 8 ViperThreat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_2000_se View Post
But they are extremely easy to work on, even in the worst of times . For even the most novice of mechanics. It may be just where your passion isn't.
Well that's a relief, at least when the engine invariably does break down, you have something interesting to look forward to besides meeting Jim, the AAA tow guy.

"Ford Focus ST - the official car of message-board circle-jerks"
-Regular Car Reviews
Old 06-18-2014, 10:27 AM   #14
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
I'm not trying to sound like a hater, but from a car-enthusiast's point of view, the SPI is about as interesting as a Prius.
Back in the day there were several turbo SPI's running around. Yes, they required custom fabrication, but with enough patience and know how, this engine can be something. The stock block can actually handle higher boost than the zetec can. aluminum vs. cast iron block....

It is not as easy as just calling Turbo Tom and dropping the cash, but to compare the SPI to a Prius is a little unfair.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:00 PM   #15
ViperThreat
Moderator OF DOOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_urn View Post
to compare the SPI to a Prius is a little unfair.
Adding a turbo to the SPI changes the equation substantially.

Strap a turbo on a prius and it also increases in cool-factor exponentially.

(Yes, i have seen a turbo prius, it looked bone stock, but was making 350whp. It was a hilariously epic sleeper)

But, sans heavy aftermarket modifications, the SPI engine struggles to see tripple-digits on the dyno.

No power
No reliablility
No soul
No thanks.

-Regular Car Reviews
Old 06-18-2014, 01:44 PM   #16
Kamaaina
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 49918
What I Drive: 2003 Bronze SE 2.0 SPI

FF Reputation: 3 Kamaaina Good Standing Member
Well, my '03 Focus SE just hit 100K miles and I was happy to hit that milestone. Then, 200 miles later it thanks me by dropping the #2 intake valve seat. No warning, was just starting it up in the garage to move it outside. Immediately shut it down after hearing the horrendous noise & shaking like a 10.0 earthquake. Pulled the head off and sure enough...#2 intake seat was in pieces, piston top & cylinder head mangled. Noticed piston top was slightly tilted so, for peace of mind, dropped the oil pan & removed piston #2. Piston was cracked around the wrist pin area, ring lands crushed & rod bent...cylinder wall was okay. Anyway, I love this car and hated to junk it so I replaced the piston & rod and sent the head out for repairs. Machine shop did fabulous job with the head and they replaced all intake seats. Put the engine back together, fired it up and it runs great. Total cost was a little over a grand but it's still cheaper than buying another car. I'm a firm believer that the seat will drop for no apparent reason. I take care of my Focus and don't abuse it, change oil every 3K miles & do "over-maintenance" on it. Hopefully, it'll go another 100K miles with the hardened steel seats. If you're gonna repair your SPI don't forget to thoroughly clean out the intake manifold as I found some chunks of seat material in there...hate to have it sucked into your rebuilt motor and BOOM!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00063.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	54121  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0955.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	250.4 KB
ID:	54137  

Old 06-18-2014, 02:55 PM   #17
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Adding a turbo to the SPI changes the equation substantially.

Strap a turbo on a prius and it also increases in cool-factor exponentially.

(Yes, i have seen a turbo prius, it looked bone stock, but was making 350whp. It was a hilariously epic sleeper)

But, sans heavy aftermarket modifications, the SPI engine struggles to see tripple-digits on the dyno.

No power
No reliablility
No soul
No thanks.
I don't know what you mean about no soul? sorry, didn't understand that comment.

No reliability? One preventable flaw makes an engine garbage? that is like saying the SVT has no reliability because of the timing belt.... give me a break.

no power is a correct statement. But does 20 more HP make the zetec an amazing engine?

The SPI was designed as (and always intended as) an economic engine. It never was (and never will be, short of heavy modification) a performance engine. It does not have the aftermarket support of other focus engines, but it is not worthless.

This argument has been debated a million times in the history of this forum, and it seems like every time the SPI is disparaged as the worst engine in the history of internal combustion. That is simply not reality. It is a good motor.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:59 PM   #18
reidk
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101538
What I Drive: 2000 Red Focus SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 reidk Good Standing Member
Can someone please help me? I seem to have taken a wrong turn. I was looking for the SPI Performance forum.

Reid
Old 06-18-2014, 05:21 PM   #19
a_2000_se
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62964
What I Drive: 2000 SE SOHC SPI, Compression @ 164

FF Reputation: 15 a_2000_se Great Standing Member
If you've had the chance to talk with a machine shop that has been around awhile about dropped seats - they can give you a list of makes and models that have suffered the problem. For the sake of nostalgia and trivia it isn't isolated to Ford or the Focus.

Quote:
Well that's a relief, at least when the engine invariably does break down, you have something interesting to look forward to besides meeting Jim, the AAA tow guy.
This Focus has only been towed once. That was around 30k miles. And it wasn't for a failed OEM fuel pump but rather an improperly installed replacement fuel pump under warranty. Using your logic the wife should have separated herself from the car at 30k miles? I'm sure a few other Focus model owners are glad you weren't around to share the wisdom. My wife's valve seat dropped nearly 70k mikes ago in the driveway. Say hello to your friend Jim for her - wasn't the guys name either that showed up for the fuel pump issue.

reidk - plenty of performance threads here, maybe just not this one issue you're looking for?
Replaced #4 Piston, Rings, Rod+Bearings, AERA Re-Manufactured Cylinder Head and a light Hone. Then CLEANED the hell out of everything.
60k+ miles.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:14 PM   #20
ViperThreat
Moderator OF DOOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_urn View Post
I don't know what you mean about no soul? sorry, didn't understand that comment.

No reliability? One preventable flaw makes an engine garbage? that is like saying the SVT has no reliability because of the timing belt.... give me a break.
Actually, I think the SVT engine is pretty crap too. That is partially why i sold my focus.

Quote:
no power is a correct statement. But does 20 more HP make the zetec an amazing engine?
No, but Ive seen more than a few zetecs click over 300k miles without a hitch.

Quote:
The SPI was designed as (and always intended as) an economic engine. It never was (and never will be, short of heavy modification) a performance engine. It does not have the aftermarket support of other focus engines, but it is not worthless.

This argument has been debated a million times in the history of this forum, and it seems like every time the SPI is disparaged as the worst engine in the history of internal combustion. That is simply not reality. It is a good motor.
My grandfather had an 89 Mazda 323 with the 1.8. That car made as much power as the zetec does, AND it got 40+ mpg.

No, the SPI is not the worst engine ever made, but it has no redeeming features that could qualify it as a "good" engine.

-Regular Car Reviews

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->