Tire pressure monitors mandated by U.S. - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-07-2005, 12:17 PM   #1
microtonal
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Tire pressure monitors mandated by U.S.

Wow...what's next...monitoring our life line with a chip and making sure we are healthy enough to drive...

WASHINGTON - New passenger cars must have tire pressure monitoring systems in place by the 2008 model year, the government announced Thursday.

The Associated Press
Updated: 11:43 a.m. ET April 7, 2005

The regulation, which has its roots in the Firestone tire recall of 2000, will require automakers to attach tiny sensors to each wheel that will signal if a tire falls 25 percent below the recommended inflation pressure. If any one of the four tires is underinflated, the sensors set off a dashboard warning light.

Automakers will begin implementing the technology in September. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates the upgrade will cost manufacturers between $48.44 and $69.89 per vehicle.

The government said underinflated tires hurt a vehicle’s fuel economy and can increase stopping distances, increase likelihood of tire failure and lead to skidding on wet surfaces.

All new four-wheel vehicles weighing 10,000 pounds or less will be required to be equipped with the systems by the 2008 model year. The regulation affects passenger cars, sport utility vehicles, pickup trucks and minivans.

NHTSA estimates that 120 lives a year will be saved when all new vehicles are equipped with the systems.

The regulation was proposed last September. Tire manufacturers have questioned whether the warning system would signal low pressure early enough. Automakers have raised concerns that motorists may ignore the lights if they appear too frequently.

Congress, seeking ways to prevent SUV rollovers after more than 10 million Firestone tires were recalled beginning in August 2000, sought the warning devices in The Transportation Recall Enhancement, Accountability and Documentation Act.

NHTSA originally issued a rule in December 2001 that would have required vehicles made after November 2003 to have dashboard lights warning drivers if their tire pressure was low.

But Public Citizen and other consumer groups sued the government agency, arguing the rule weakly allowed automakers to choose between cheaper “indirect” monitors, which operate off the antilock braking system, or “direct” systems, which have monitors attached to each wheel.

A federal appeals court in New York agreed with the consumer groups and tossed out NHTSA’s rule in August 2003, leading to the new process of issuing the regulation.

SOURCE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2005, 12:30 PM   #2
dwdgsi03
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2298
What I Drive: 2000 Midship Runabout

FF Reputation: 1 dwdgsi03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Dayam, that's gonna be a LOT of money. Think about it. $50 per vehicle, selling 100,00 vehicles. Someone's gonna be broke as sheit.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:45 PM   #3
microtonal
FF #1 Most Wanted

Ya, this probably means they will cut corners somewhere on the car to keep the price the same.

Maybe durable plastic heads and blocks ...
Old 04-07-2005, 12:45 PM   #4
DrRay
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 14474
What I Drive: A car

FF Reputation: 1 DrRay Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yet another safety law designed for morons and their SUVs.
Of course...they could have mandated making safe tires with proper quality control, but that would have only impacted a few large US corporations. This way, everyone pays, and Firestone is off the hook to keep making crap tires, very Republican.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:47 PM   #5
microtonal
FF #1 Most Wanted

Soon they will find a way to stop this too...maybe ?

Old 04-07-2005, 03:01 PM   #6
vanace
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
Yet another safety law designed for morons and their SUVs.
Of course...they could have mandated making safe tires with proper quality control, but that would have only impacted a few large US corporations. This way, everyone pays, and Firestone is off the hook to keep making crap tires, very Republican

stupid canadian... always looking at things the wrong way. It is the government getting involved in our life. That is very liberal. It does nothing to save any big company. Firestone is not off the hook. I won't buy firestone.. never would since there crap in the 70's with there firestone 500 recall. That is the market at work.... enough people don't buy there crap, then they either change or go out of business. Trouble is there are to many liberals like you who need the government to tell you what to do.
ST crew #18
Old 04-07-2005, 03:14 PM   #7
SVT4ME

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
What's with all the bitching? It will cost less than $100 per vehicle to implement this technology. People used to pay extra to get this as an option on their cars, now it will come included. Luxury car owners will have one less "gadget" to brag about because now we'll ALL have tire-pressure monitoring. So our prices go up a little bit, so what? They already go up all the time anyway. Yeah, so we're all going to pay a little extra on our next new car purchase because of a minority of owners that are lazy and/or careless, what's new about that? This is where airbags came from, ABS came from, seat belts, etc, etc... it keeps the [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]es from killing themselves and makes the rest of us safer too.

DrRay they could have made the safest tires in the world but if the owner doesn't bother to check inflation those better-quality tires aren't going to do them much good.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:26 PM   #8
Lil PZEV
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
LOL I love that picture Micro!

I don't know how I feel about this. People should keep track themselves but "people" as a generic mass are incredibly stupid and under/overinflated tires can pose a safety risk to themselves, and others around them when the tire chooses to malfunction.

I didn't know luxury cars already had such a system? Crazy...
Old 04-07-2005, 06:25 PM   #9
SVT4ME

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
^^ Yeah it's not really anything new, I remember my grandfather's 1989 Corvette had tire pressure monitoring. And the Hummer, of course, has self-inflating and deflating tires.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:47 PM   #10
focusonthefocus
Gan-San!

Fan#: 1411
What I Drive: 2002 CD Silver SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 5 focusonthefocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I'd like to have all the safety equipment like stability control put on all makes and models. Don't care if it costs a bit more. Saved my ass plenty of times.

Focus on the Mountain

Bookmarks & Social Networks