SVT seats in a mk1.5 sedan (How-to, kinda) - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-03-2014, 03:20 AM   #1
_fifth_
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72683
What I Drive: oh-sicks Silver ZX4

Points 3,496, Level 36
Points: 3,496, Level: 36 Points: 3,496, Level: 36 Points: 3,496, Level: 36
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 _fifth_ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
SVT seats in a mk1.5 sedan (How-to, kinda)

Hey guys! I picked up a set of almost perfect blue SVT seats for my zx4 a bunch of months ago and it took forever to get them in because I couldn't find a proper how-to. I thought I'd make one, even though I've never really done one before. This isn't probably the best way to do it, but it's how my dad and I got it done so don't take my word as gospel.

The front seats are a direct swap, so there all you have to do is just take them out and put the SVT's in. The only problem I ran into as far as the front seats go, was the wiring. I still don't have them wired in because I'm the worst at wiring and electrical work. Also, I couldn't find any wiring diagrams for either the svt or my zx4. If you guys know how to wire them in so I'll have airbags that'd be rad! I'd love to get that done. IF YOU DO NOT WIRE THEM IN YOUR AIRBAGS WILL NOT DEPLOY!!

Let's move onto the rears!

First order of business is getting the old ones out. I don't have pictures of this step because it's pretty straight forward. The stock bench seat in the rear is held in by two star bolts, one on the drivers side and one on the passengers side. Remove those and out comes the bench.

Go to the trunk and release the backs. Fold them all the way down and you'll see a bracket on the bottom/outside corners. They're held on by the same size bolt as the bench was so grab that ratchet and get to taking them out. It's important (or it was for me because my SVT seats did not come with the bracket) to leave it in there and just unbolt the seats. You'll use that same bracket for the SVT seats. The backs are two separate pieces that are held to the car now by another bracket with two metal rods sticking out either side of it. Just pull the seats away from that bracket and they'll slide right out. No need to unbolt that bracket, you'll use that for the svt seats too! Yeah!

To install the svt bench seats (there's two instead of the stock one), throw them in there and notice that there are two brackets on each section of the bench. One of the brackets on each side will line up perfectly with the hole that was there from your stock bench seat. You can run with only one bolted up if you want, but if you want to bolt them down too all you have to do is line it all up, cut the carpet, drill a hole into the metal behind it, find a bolt that will fit and SHAZAM! bottom bench seats are in! it's important to note that the larger of the two pieces will be easy to line up and drill, but the smaller one is a bit more of a pain in the @$$. It sucks because the 2nd bracket on the smaller section lines up with the carpet but if you push on that spot you'll notice there's nothing behind it. We had to use a longer drill bit along with a pretty long bolt to get it to bolt in. Make sure you check it all out more than once or it will end up a little cock-eyed compared to the longer section. Also becareful drilling this hole, I'm almost positive the gas tank is behind there. I could be wrong though. I'm really tired.

One thing to note about the bench seat is in the sedan there are three little spiky looking things under the seats. I had to saw the middle one off because the longer of the two sections kept getting caught and would not flip up without a lot of force. You don't have to do this but just keep an eye out.

Now for the hardest part, the backs!!
I'm sure you've figured out by now that the backs of seats from a hatch don't line up completely with the sedans, so you'll have to do some cutting. Sedan release latches are located in the upper middle of the back of the seat while hatch latches aren't. Here's where it gets tricky....

The seats will bolt in exactly how you took the stock ones out, but because they don't latch at the top when you hit your breaks they come flying down. So you've gotta rig a way for them to stay up. You can take two routes here, weld them in place (but you won't be able to put them down anymore) or cut into the back of the SVT seats and make yourself a new latch hook. I took route two.

We removed the covers from the svt seats and cut holes in the back of each of the metal backs of the seats exactly where they would line up with the sedan's latches. It's important to make sure that the holes you cut are big enough for the entire plastic part of the sedan's latch that sticks out to fit inside.

The larger of the two backs has a seatbelt housing inside it, so you'll need to cut that out because that's where your new latch is going to go! You don't need it anyway, the sedan middle seatbelt will take it's place.
For the new brackets we used two threaded rods (size them to lock perfectly into the plastic latch on the sedan), both bent on either side to create U shapes, drilled two holes in the metal backs of each piece and screwed a nut onto each end of the U's.
Slide it all back together and cut the back of the SVT seats so you can see the threaded rods. This hole will also need to be big enough to fit the sedan's plastic latch inside.

Once you've got that all rigged up, put the SVT backs back together and get ready to install them. It's exactly like the old stock sedan seats so it's not hard to get them in there. I found it's easiest to get the four bolts back in if you spin the brackets on the outside so they are facing down, lay the seat backs down, slide them onto the middle bracket, then bolt the two bolts on each seat in. Flip 'em up and push them back into the latches. If you measured and lined everything up right they should just pop right in. I tested out the release cables from the trunk and everything is working perfectly!

While it might've been easier to cut the backs out of the stock sedan seats and weld them into the backs of the SVT seats, I wanted to keep my stock seats in working order incase something happened or maybe I could sell them and get some extra monies. You could easily do this, or take my harder route. Either way is good I'm sure! I just wanted to show you guys how we made it happen.

If I said something wrong or I'm all mixed up, let me know. I'd also like to know how everyone else got their's to work. I know there has to be an easier, better and/or prettier way so please do tell!!!

Thanks for lookin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miragesmack View Post
Yeah, too many hatches. When the sedans take over, all will be good!
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.