Future of SVT?? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-04-2005, 07:57 PM   #1
03Z_ex_Three
Focus Addict

Fan#: 45
What I Drive: Liquid Grey 03 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 03Z_ex_Three Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Future of SVT??

Ok fellas, this is an SVT related topic and I figured it would do better in here than it would in the general chat. You will appreciate this once you read it. I just got the new motor trend in the mail today. I have never felt so compelled to read the entire magazine as I do now. The whole thing is packed with so much info that just screams for you to read it. A lot of it focuses on the new mustang (which Carroll Shelby has come out with a GT with a Vortech SC strapped on board that pushes close to 1g in acceloration. Other than that, back to the issue at hand. I know a few of us have heard the new of SVT production ceasing on everything except the mustang. Well fellas have I got some news for you. I am going to type the article for you that says it all and is an answer to all our prayers.
Title: svt futures: patience, son. patience.
The GT 500 comes at a critical time in the life of Ford's bespoke performance operation. With no 2005 or 2006 SVT Mustang on tap, the phase out of the SVT Focus, the abrupt halting of next-gen Lightning truck development, the departure of marketing boss Tom Scarpello for Jaguar, and the retirement of Ford product creation chief Chris Theodore and SVE's championship tire waster John Coletti, pundits were hard at work on the Special Vehicle Team's obit.
Ford Product Creation chief Phil Martens assures us there's no need for flowers or tears; SVT's roster has just hit a dry patch. He's installed Hau Tai-Tang as Coletti's replacement, and George Ayers has taken the helm as sales and marketing director.
SVT's current lineup of exactly zero models will grow by several withing a few years' time. The Shelby Mustang is first up, to be followed by an SVT version of the Ford Fusion. This compact sedan cops its turbocharged engine, six-speed transmission, and all-wheel drive from the upcoming MazdaSpeed6, with which it shares chassis architecture.
Inside sources confirm that the group is toying with an SVT-ified Sport Trac, using a tweaked version of the Explorer's chassis and perhaps a supercharged V-8. (AND HERE IS THE NEWS THAT I REALLY WANTED TO HEAR. THANK YOU GOD)Ford's C1 platform-based Focus, sold in many world markets but not due here until at least 2007, is likely to spawn a hot RS (yes it says RS) version soon; it should be easy to retune it into the next SVT Focus. Any notion of a GT 500 convertible? George Ayers says a shelby ragtop isn't currently on the docket, but he's open to the notion. "They did it in 1968. Why not now?"
While Ayers makes clear that SVT will remain a Ford-brand-only performance labe, that doesn't prevent its considerable engineering talent from helping wrench go-faster derivatives for other Ford-owned marques. So the speed junkies currently working on the GT 500 might also have a hand in anything from a limited-edition Volvo to the preverbail hot-rod Lincoln. What Ford's toybox lacks is the smorgasbord of performance-amenable platforms that Chrysler's SRT gang has to play with at the moment. But everyone in Dearborn keeps saying, "The product is coming. Stay tuned."
Hold up on that spot at the mortuary--the patient appears to be alive.

And there you have it guys. Some very very exciting news from Ford on the future of SVT. Maybe one of the mods could sticky this??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2005, 08:09 PM   #2
SVT4ME

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
Thanks for typing all that up... I think some other members here have already discussed this article though. Suddenly there's all kinds of articles flying off the presses about what SVT is cooking up. There is talk that a new SVT Focus could be coming... I'll believe it when I see it, but I'm doubtful that it will be based on the European platform. I see it being a lot more likely that they slap the turbo 2.3 into the current U.S. Focus and call it a day.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:12 PM   #3
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing MemberWD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Moving to “SVT Owners Lounge”....
Thanks for the write up, 03Z_ex_Three.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:16 PM   #4
03Z_ex_Three
Focus Addict

Fan#: 45
What I Drive: Liquid Grey 03 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 03Z_ex_Three Good Standing Member
Sorry WD40 for posting in the wrong area. As you can see I have a zetec and rarely post in the SVT forums. And by the way, your welcome. I probably will end up posting some topics on the new mustang because from what I am reading they are damn exciting.

Bookmarks & Social Networks