Looking for Oklahoma Foci - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Regional Forums > Southern Fanatics > Fanatics: Texas

Fanatics: Texas Regional discussion Forum for planning events and sharing information with all Members in the Texas (Lonestar) areas.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-27-2005, 11:09 PM   #31
Johnny Nitro
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 26056
What I Drive: 2004 Torch Red Mach 1

FF Reputation: 1 Johnny Nitro Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (-1)
Lightbulb

I hope no one minds that I'm not a Focus owner, I'm just passing through to get Mike/SteelRain's email address. I forgot to get it from him when we were talking on the telephone.

Mike: email me at model99savage@hotmail.com.

Later guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2005, 07:52 AM   #32
Johnny Nitro
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by ilcowil
The thing that sucks is that cars like the SVT Focus, STi, Evo, and the like are wasted on the roads in Oklahoma. I haven't found many opportunities to play with my new found handling where it's a little more safe (meaning I'm only at risk - and no cops) in OK.
I disagree. You need to look in the right places. Southeast Oklahoma and the Talimena Skyline Drive comes to mind right off the bat. Take a drive down there and make a big loop through McAlester, Hartshorne, Talihina, etc. and top it all off with some Italian food in Krebs. (I'm partial to Pete's, but I know a lot of other people who like Roseanna's and Isle of Capri and a few who like Giacomo's on the 69 Bypass in McAlester.)

This isn't the best picture, but believe me, there are a significant number of twisty roads in Southeast Oklahoma.

And a plug for Krebs:

http://www.roseannas.com/

http://www.petes.org/
Old 07-30-2005, 09:35 PM   #33
Oni
Oh yeah!

Fan#: 24899
What I Drive: An unloved Focus

FF Reputation: 4 Oni Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
All right, I'll correct my statement. The car is wasted on most roads in Oklahoma, and a lot of these places are an hour to several hours away from OKC.

How is the police patrol out there, and are the roads fairly open (meaning not many blind turns)?
SVT Squad #80
1365 of 3985
Born: 04/25/2003

formerly known as the member ilcowil
Old 07-31-2005, 05:36 AM   #34
Johnny Nitro
Focus Rookie

Quote:
All right, I'll correct my statement. The car is wasted on most roads in Oklahoma, and a lot of these places are an hour to several hours away from OKC.
"Most roads in Oklahoma?" That's just not true. Almost all of eastern Oklahoma is in hilly country and with the exception of the interstates and turnpikes, almost all of the roads are twisty. Hell, I can even think of a few in western Oklahoma that fit that description.

It takes me all of about an hour-and-a-half or less to get to McAlester. How much time do you spend just farting around aimlessly? Not really an issue. Take a drive to McAlester, head east on 270, and turn south at Red Oak. Make a big circle back to McAlester and eat some Italian or head south to Antlers and eat at the barbecue place there. If you're worried about time, you've already resigned yourself to not having any fun. Do it when you have a free weekend.

Quote:
How is the police patrol out there, and are the roads fairly open (meaning not many blind turns)?
Are you planning on doing something illegal? Every town in Oklahoma is a speed trap. Period. Even Oklahoma City. On the highways you've got to contend with the OHP, but unless you're doing something grossly negligent, they'll leave you alone. Again, not much of an issue.

Most of the highways down there are fairly wide now, either having been expanded to four lanes or with a wide shoulder.

It's worth the time and drive to see for yourself.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:39 PM   #35
Oni
Oh yeah!

I wouldn't plan on doing something illegal other than speeding to actually extract something fun out of a turn. I mostly drive around the metro because I have had no other reason to explore outside, so to me, most of the roads in Oklahoma from experience are just straight with the exception of a few places I've been. Also, I've never just gotten the urge to drive an hour plus into eastern Oklahoma without a clue as to where and what I'm looking for...

The other reason I ask about open roads is because I like to know what's ahead of me whether it be other people on the road or just cops sitting and waiting. I'm not out to make a roadtrip into something more dangerous than it should be. Are you telling me the roads are a pleasure to drive at the speed limit? I only ask because your question makes it sound as if I were planning on racing or something to the extent. I'm just looking for some fun without the risk of much danger and a heavy fine for speeding.

So how did you become familiar with these roads, Johnny Nitro? Or is it just what commuting from where you live? Also, do you drive out there alone or normally have some friends tag along for the drive? I wouldn't mind following someone who knew some of the roads pretty well to get a feel for them. Anyway, thanks for the tips on the locations. When I take my vacation time from work in the next two weeks or so, I'll be sure to make a drive out to some of the locations mentioned and check it out.

So if anyone else is interested...
SVT Squad #80
1365 of 3985

Old 08-01-2005, 10:17 AM   #36
Johnny Nitro
Focus Rookie

Quote:
I mostly drive around the metro because I have had no other reason to explore outside
I gathered that.

Quote:
Are you telling me the roads are a pleasure to drive at the speed limit? I only ask because your question makes it sound as if I were planning on racing or something to the extent. I'm just looking for some fun without the risk of much danger and a heavy fine for speeding.
Well, YOUR earlier question seemed to infer that you might be doing something a little outside the law. I'll say this: the roads I referred to are best driven at the speed limit if you're in something like a full-sized pickup (which I've done), but are a lot of fun if you're in something with tighter suspension.

Quote:
So how did you become familiar with these roads, Johnny Nitro? Or is it just what commuting from where you live? Also, do you drive out there alone or normally have some friends tag along for the drive? I wouldn't mind following someone who knew some of the roads pretty well to get a feel for them. Anyway, thanks for the tips on the locations. When I take my vacation time from work in the next two weeks or so, I'll be sure to make a drive out to some of the locations mentioned and check it out.
My dad grew up in that part of Oklahoma (Pushmataha County), so I have a lot of family down there and I deer hunt there, too. It's also fun just to take a drive once in a while. In fact, this is all mentioned on the Travel OK website (mostly for the scenery). A look at a road map will also show some of this.

A little closer to OKC would be highway 37 between Hinton and Cogar. That's a fairly twisty piece of road (yes, I've driven it) and it's less than an hour from OKC. (Cogar was also where the "Rain Man" scene of Dustin Hoffman farting in the phone booth was filmed.)

And on another note, do I know you? Your profile says you're a UCO engineering & physics student. I just graduated from there in E&P in December.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:14 AM   #37
SteelRain
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20144
What I Drive: 2004 Infra-Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SteelRain Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hey Johnny Nitro, we need to set up a road trip thru those E OK byways. I have traveled out there a few time and loved it.

ilcowil if you want some twisties and no fear of police or oncoming traffic, try Hallet Motor Speedway. They do High Speed Touring about once a month, run what ya brung. Only need a helmet. Check out their website:
http://www.hallettracing.net/

www.okscca.org

WARNING!!! The surgeon general has announced that AUTOCROSS is more addicting than CRACK!!!
Old 08-01-2005, 09:37 PM   #38
Oni
Oh yeah!

What's your real name, Johnny Nitro? I don't know if you know me or not. My name's Alex Rusinek. Anyway, thanks for all the different tips on the locations around here. I'll be sure to check it out, and if anyone wants to make a drive with me or in a group, just let me/whoever else know.

alex
SVT Squad #80
1365 of 3985

Old 08-01-2005, 10:46 PM   #39
Johnny Nitro
Focus Rookie

Quote:
What's your real name, Johnny Nitro? I don't know if you know me or not. My name's Alex Rusinek. Anyway, thanks for all the different tips on the locations around here. I'll be sure to check it out, and if anyone wants to make a drive with me or in a group, just let me/whoever else know.

alex
I know you. We were in Bingabr's/Baja's analog electronics and a few others. (Robert Brown)
Old 08-02-2005, 10:31 AM   #40
SVTBishop
Focus Addict

Fan#: 11582
What I Drive: My Wife

FF Reputation: 1 SVTBishop Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
[QUOTE]
This isn't the best picture, but believe me, there are a significant number of twisty roads in Southeast Oklahoma.

[QUOTE]

I'd make a road trip JUST to take a sunday drive in those hills!!

beautiful

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->