Problem with screws/bolts on the Air Filter Housing - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-20-2014, 10:58 PM   #1
mellybear
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 148770
What I Drive: 2004 Beige Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 mellybear Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Problem with screws/bolts on the Air Filter Housing

I've had my 2004 Focus for about a year now and I decided to try to check the air filter to see if it needed to be replaced. Unfortunately it looks like the circular bolts on 2 of the screws have detached from the air filter housing so instead of loosening the screws just spin freely.

I need help figuring out how to get these screws out so I can check (and replace) the air filter! Why the heck did Ford use a circular bolt!?!? I would prefer to NOT have to replace the entire housing since from what I've been able to find you can only get the part through Ford and they charge an arm & a leg for it.

Any suggestions?

I've already tried to use a pair of pliers to grip the bolt, but I wasn't able to get a good grip on it so it kept spinning.

Assuming I'm able to get the cover off, I plan on replacing the bolts with hexagonal ones so that they'll be easier to grip in the future. But, as I said, I have no idea how to actually get the screws out!

Please help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2014, 01:35 AM   #2
a_2000_se
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62964
What I Drive: 2000 SE SOHC SPI, Compression @ 164

Points 4,574, Level 43
Points: 4,574, Level: 43 Points: 4,574, Level: 43 Points: 4,574, Level: 43
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 15 a_2000_se Great Standing Member
It maybe possibly that the previous owner could have replace them for whatever reason -lost or misplaced-.

Can you get a flat head screw driver under the bolts head and lift it up some to get a better grip on the head? Maybe I'm not quite seeing the dilemma. All four of mine have a hex/regular screw driver combo head.
Replaced #4 Piston, Rings, Rod+Bearings, AERA Re-Manufactured Cylinder Head and a light Hone. Then CLEANED the hell out of everything.
60k+ miles.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:36 AM   #3
mellybear
Focus Rookie

The head of the screw/bolt isn't the provlem, the bottom is. There is a piece that is syuposd to be attached to the plastic of the housing...a circular but...that has become detached. As a result when you try to turn the screw it just keeps spinning in place and doesn't loosen, making it impossible to open the housing cover to access the filter.

So I'm trying to get suggestions on how to work around this issue.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:50 AM   #4
mellybear
Focus Rookie

I had my car in for an oil change yesterday, so I stopped by Meineke on my way into work this morning. Apparently the mechanic who did the oil change did notice that the 2 screws were broken and they just forgot to mention it to me when I paid.

I was told to bring it back to them after I'm done with work today and the guy I talked to said they'll probably cut the screws and just replace them with new ones. I'll have to mention to them that they'll need to replace the bolt down the bottom as well so the screws will actually stay in place.

This was a very poor design on Ford's part. Why make something that can break so easily which then makes it impossible to access the filter!
Old 05-21-2014, 02:23 PM   #5
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 10,096, Level 67
Points: 10,096, Level: 67 Points: 10,096, Level: 67 Points: 10,096, Level: 67
Level Up 12% Completed
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 72 sailor Excellent Standing Member
It sounds like you're talking about nuts molded into the filter case.

That's a very common way to make a filter case & cover, reduces the parts that can be dropped when servicing the filter (one hand for the screwdriver, one for the screw).

It's not a problem in normal use, but if someone uses the wrong screws/cross threads it/leaves it untouched for years it can be an issue.

S.R. #275
Old 05-21-2014, 05:39 PM   #6
mellybear
Focus Rookie

Yes, those were what I was talking about. I can completely understand how molding them into the filter case reduces the possibility of dropping them when servicing the air filter. However, at least from what I can tell, them breaking off of the plastic is a fairly common issue - especially if they get rusted.

It would make much more sense, if they are going to mold them into the filter casing, to mold in the traditional hexagonal nuts. That way if/when they do break off you can at least have something which is easy to grip so you are still able to open the cover to access the filter. With the way it's designed if they break off you're left with only a few options (all of which require removing the filter assembly):

a) hope that you can manage to get a good enough grip on the nut with a pair of pliers so that you're able to remove the screw

b) find a way to physically cut through the screw & then push the remaining part out of the hole

c) replace the entire air filter housing assembly and hope the problem doesn't happen again

Of course there are 2 other options that are less than ideal - 1) you can just decide to never replace the air filter or 2) you can break the plastic around the broken screws/nuts & hope the remaining screws will keep the cover closed properly.

Lucky for me one of the mechanics at the shop I took it to was able to remove the broken screws....although it did take him the better part of an hour to get them loose. Right now the cover is just being held in place by the 2 good screws, and if anything happens to them I'll probably have to check out the scrap yards to see if I can salvage an assembly so it can be replaced entirely.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:59 PM   #7
a_2000_se
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62964
What I Drive: 2000 SE SOHC SPI, Compression @ 164

Points 4,574, Level 43
Points: 4,574, Level: 43 Points: 4,574, Level: 43 Points: 4,574, Level: 43
Level Up 12% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 15 a_2000_se Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
......It sounds like you're talking about nuts molded into the filter case.......
Ahhhh - ok. 180k miles and a dozen or more air filters I can honestly say I've yet to see the hardware on the bottom of the air filter housing.

Nuts and bolts, it's all nut or bolts. Lol. I have wondered over time if the bolts were just threaded into the plastic housing. Always careful!
Replaced #4 Piston, Rings, Rod+Bearings, AERA Re-Manufactured Cylinder Head and a light Hone. Then CLEANED the hell out of everything.
60k+ miles.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:33 PM   #8
focusETSzx4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 120097
What I Drive: 2005 zx4 & 2012 se

Points 413, Level 8
Points: 413, Level: 8 Points: 413, Level: 8 Points: 413, Level: 8
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 focusETSzx4 Good Standing Member
It's my understanding the air filters on these models are non-serviceable, meaning you need to take it back to ford to have them swap the air filter.

My buddy at work and I have been considering converting to a cold air intake and just removing the air filter housing altogether

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.