to svt or not to svt? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-30-2005, 05:05 PM   #1
avengerc4
Broken cars s[:)][:)][:)] :(

Fan#: 493
What I Drive: 02 PWorks SVTF, 2014 Subaru Outback

FF Reputation: 4 avengerc4 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
to svt or not to svt?

Now here is my question to all you lovely SVT owners. I came across a 04 svt with 10000 mi on it for 15600 online. Now this is before any talking down or anything. I was wondering is it worth my time to get an SVT? I have a perfectly fine 03 zx3 AUTO (only bad thing) with 18000 mi. on it. The only downside is the Auto. I have never driven a manual except for a few times so it would be my first manual to buy. I heard there are some sticky issues with them. Now I was also lookin at an 03 for around the same price with a few more miles on it (15000?) and was wonderin about it as well. Is it worth it? Will I like it that much more than my zx3? Its blue and the other is a competition orange (the 04). I like both colors a lot but my friend has a comp orange svt and I don't want to get the same color and his friend has a yellow one the other color I was lookin at. Should I really invest the extra few thousand dollars into getting an svt (cause I'll prolly get 8500? for my car) and ios it worth it. I know the mods are more and I know theres some stuff to fix up the issues, but is it worth it? Should I go for it? Thanks in advance! :D
-Joe

Edit Added srom comment Thanks :D
cool. Yah I was lookin at one on ebay that was yellow. The only downside is its a few hundred miles away in tennesse lol. The blue one is as well. It's not that I don't think I'm not man enough that I don't drive a stick its just that I want extra power. I want my car to go faster, and I know buying more mods for my car is kinda pointless since it's an auto. I mean if I can get some cheap parts for it I would but I just want the extra power without that huge of an insurance bump (like getting a evo or an sti). I also just want a car thats funand I love my focus so how could the svt not be fun yah know? It's just that I'm only 20 and I am goin to Vegas over the summer for my b-day and thats gonna be a grand I gotta save up (already gotr the plane tickets and hotel for 330 a person me and my 2 friends) but I dunno if I wanna get myself back into debt again. I have paid this car off so (well not actually I have 300 bucks left but that'll be like less than a month to pay off hopefully) its nmot like I'm gonna be loosing anything except 6000 since I paid 14000 for it in the middle of 03. I'm just not positive yet. My friends are tryin to push me into it though lol. Thats not the only reason but I do want a peppier car. Thanks again guys and gals!
-Joe

Last edited by avengerc4; 03-30-2005 at 05:47 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2005, 05:09 PM   #2
osunick
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 15604
What I Drive: 2003 Lancer Evolution (Red)

FF Reputation: 2 osunick Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Are they both Euro Appearance Package (15 spoke alloys, HID's, leather recaros)? The Comp Orange is an EAP for sure. Is the other one yellow? It's hard to tell from your post. The stick shift on the SVT is pretty easy to use, on the other hand, lots of people never learn properly and absolutely hate it. I would never drive anything but stick, but think hard about your reasons for getting a manual. If it's because you feel less of a man for driving auto, then this is not for you. In any event, the finances won't work in your favor. You never come out ahead when you trade in an 03 for an 03, particularly if the car you're getting retains more value than the car you owned. If I were you I'd try to talk a friend into teaching me stick and then decide, and maybe by then you'll be in a financial position to get something even nicer.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:12 PM   #3
svtfocus17
Focus Addict

Fan#: 11485
What I Drive: 2003 Infa-Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 svtfocus17 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
i think its worth it i had a zx3 stick it was a great car and all but then the zx3 got totaled so i was lucky enoguh to get an svt and let me tell ya the car is great i love it! id do it!

SVT Squad (Founder) #92
Old 03-30-2005, 05:14 PM   #4
04EuroSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5522
What I Drive: 2004 CD Silver EURO SVT 5Dr

FF Reputation: 1 04EuroSVT Good Standing Member
How much "rush hour" driving do you do? If it's a lot factor that into your decision. The SVT is worth it. The Comp orange EAP looks awsome. Get the 04 EAP for sure, it's worth the additional money.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:15 PM   #5
Daeron
Focus Addict

Fan#: 20554
What I Drive: 03 Pitch Black SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 Daeron Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
You'll like the increased power and benefits of owning an SVT. Much more fun to drive. The orange one has an even upgraded package above the stock SVT. My suggestion would be to try and get a test drive in each if at all possible and see if you like em before persuing any further.
#2277 of 3985 born on 5/27/03
SVT Squad #20

SCT XCal2 (Hypnotic), AEM CAI, VR rear engine mount, FC ORP, FRPP STS, FC 2pc UDP, Eibach Pro-Kit springs/KYB AGX dampers, FRPP HIDs, Sony CDX-M8815X, Pioneer TS-A6880R front speakers, 16" Rota Grid (Royal Gunmetal) w/Falken Azenis RT615's

2004 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra Convertible, Mystichrome
#292 of 1896
Old 03-30-2005, 05:23 PM   #6
avengerc4

cool. Yah I was lookin at one on ebay that was yellow. The only downside is its a few hundred miles away in tennesse lol. The blue one is as well. It's not that I don't think I'm not man enough that I don't drive a stick its just that I want extra power. I want my car to go faster, and I know buying more mods for my car is kinda pointless since it's an auto. I mean if I can get some cheap parts for it I would but I just want the extra power without that huge of an insurance bump (like getting a evo or an sti). I also just want a car thats funand I love my focus so how could the svt not be fun yah know? It's just that I'm only 20 and I am goin to Vegas over the summer for my b-day and thats gonna be a grand I gotta save up (already gotr the plane tickets and hotel for 330 a person me and my 2 friends) but I dunno if I wanna get myself back into debt again. I have paid this car off so (well not actually I have 300 bucks left but that'll be like less than a month to pay off hopefully) its nmot like I'm gonna be loosing anything except 6000 since I paid 14000 for it in the middle of 03. I'm just not positive yet. My friends are tryin to push me into it though lol. Thats not the only reason but I do want a peppier car. Thanks again guys and gals!
-Joe
Old 03-30-2005, 07:58 PM   #7
popecruz
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17124
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 popecruz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
driving a stick in rush hour traffic is easy, you just can't be zombified like all of the automatic drivers are. Driving a stick will also make you more alert to what you're doing. I'd definitely go for the svt if you can afford it. Keep in mind your going to want to mod it.. i can see it in your eyes.. so compensate for that if you're making payments!
All your hard work and training for AutoX and you get sliding off the road and jacking your suspension named after you. That sucks.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:14 PM   #8
SVT4ME

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
^^ That depends on how bad the traffic is. Sometimes you can crawl along in first gear and sometimes the traffic is just so heavy and other drivers so inconsiderate of the idea that someone out there might be driving a stick that driving in traffic SUCKS and it gets really tiresome.

The last semester or two in college, I started driving to/from school twice a week to break up the monotony of taking the train every day. I can honestly say that driving my stick MR2 in that traffic was not easy, and by the time I got home my left leg would be sore and I would feel tired and drained. But I still chose to keep driving twice a week, because being in your own car sure beats sitting next a drunken rambling homeless guy on the train!

Back on topic, avenger what you have to think about is, would the SVT really be enough of a step up to justify selling the car you've got now? Sure it's nice and all but you can do plenty to your car to make it more like an SVT and those things would still be cheaper than buying another car. If the only reason is because you're tired of the automatic, I would think hard about this. Coming from someone who's driven stick for about 8 or 9 years so far, there are days when it would be SO nice to have an automatic.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:25 PM   #9
fritotec
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17397
What I Drive: 2003 comp orange focus svt euro #34

FF Reputation: 1 fritotec Good Standing Member
get the orange one
#3495 of 3985, 1 of 301
euro grill
Old 03-30-2005, 08:26 PM   #10
avengerc4

true true...but the stock auto trannys are shit. I prolly shoulda mentioned I went through 2 of them by 18000 miles :D Not my fault either I really don't drive that bad. The first one went at 10g with an exhaust. The second at 17000 cause of an exaust and drop in k@n air filter and a tap into the side of a saturn at 15 mph in the front corner. Yah kinda shitty. How much would a tran swap be? Also could I get them to swap it to a trans cause it seems like its about to go again at 18000 miles. Never good. I REALLY REALLY don't drive bad I swear. A race here and there but no e-brake shit anymore after the 2500 miles was up. Stopped pullin that shit after I found out its only fun the first time you do it :D Except takin turns fast and some winter donuts ;D

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.