Hello everyone :) couple questions - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-28-2005, 10:58 PM   #1
Coolaid
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 21034
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SE

FF Reputation: 1 Coolaid Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Smile Hello everyone :) couple questions

Well, I'll give you the boring story first..

I've been driving a 92 mazda mx-3 for the last 4 years.. I have been through 4 tranny's in 4 years, and it finally went again.. I'm not a psycho driver, or a racer, this was just normal driving.. Anway.. It died on me easter sunday heading to my fathers house for dinner, and I finally had it.. I needed a new car, but I never established any credit.. So, off to find a cheap car.. I planned to by used, but due to being a first time buyer they said I'd be better off in a new car.. So, I started looking around the lot (nissan, ford, jeep dealer) and the lady helping me (really nice compared to the other vultures who made me want to kill small children) suggested I look into a Focus.. I wanted a cheap car that was reliable.. So, we drove a few, different models from the nissan and ford lots, and I decided on a focus, and I kinda wanted the hatch, but I went with the 4 door sadan (zx4 SE) It was closer to the price I wanted, and I really didn't want the clay color that seemed to dominate the lot.
So, here I am, the new owner of a 05' Focus.. My Step father had his consumer reports book open on the phone, and it got pretty good ratings, and I think after the shell shock of my first dealer bought car wears off I will be excited about it. Not to mention it was heavy rain, and 4 hours in the dealer, so I didn't get to take a victory cruise yet.

Anyway, the first plans for the car are to yank out the stock CD player, and put in my pioneer deh-9600mp + sealed case single 10' sub. + XM radio.

I tried calling Best buy, because the local shop that I go to was closed, and the guy didn't know if the 2004 model install kit would fit int he 05'. Anyone installed a after market stereo into the 2005 model that knows it takes the same kit?

Years ago I used to install for a living, but I am out of the loop for newer models. From looking at the dash without much prodding into it, I am guessing it's probably removal of the lower shell, then popping off the heater guage cluster, and 2-4 bolts to get the old raido out. The wiring, and installing is a cake walk, just not sure what kit I will need. (Why couldn't this car have the good ol' ford pop in the removal tool, pull out the old one, and slide in the new radio!)

I also plan on working on some other mods once the new car smell fades, but for now, I must have my music to keep my mind at ease. I have been looking around,a nd I see a lot of body kits for the hatch version of the car, but haven't found any for the sadan, I'm not sure if they even make them yet.
Also, I would like to do an intake / exhaust some time this summer.. I don't want that tinny "hey, I hear a honda, oh wait that's just the lawn mower" sound, but something a little more throaty, and performance sounding. Anyone have any suggestions? I've been browsing the forums, and I'm sure if I wasn't so beaten up from the past couple of days I might have the brain power to actually get these answers, but I see a lot of posts about many different mods, and I am getting distracted way to easy :)
Thanks for your help in advance, and I hope to get to know you guys soon :)

-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2005, 11:02 PM   #2
Lil PZEV
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Welcome to the site and congrats on your purchase! Sorry about the Mazda, wow that musta been really frustrating!!

Anyway, I can't help a lot about the car audio stuff (I love my XM but BB put it in for me). But try asking in the Car Audio/ICE Chat section, as far as how compatible the kits are they would know best. It is a shame the ole U-tool to unhook the Ford stereo wasn't used in the 05s, maybe too many were stolen or something!!

As for performance stuff, check out the Duratec Chat. You have the 2.0L Duratec I believe, since you didnt mention your car's an ST. There are several options for intake (FS, FC, Marcy) and exhaust (Borla, Magnaflow, FS) that come to mind immediately but poking through there once you've got a clear head will help! Also check out this site for an all-inclusive list of Duratec upgrades, your engine is signified by D20.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:12 AM   #3
Coolaid
Focus Rookie

thanks for the info :) I didn't even see the car audio section.. I feel like such a noob :(
Old 03-29-2005, 09:20 AM   #4
djSlimQ
Focus Addict

Fan#: 15598
What I Drive: 2tone zx3

FF Reputation: 1 djSlimQ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
wow congrats man, glad u chose the focus =]
Old 03-29-2005, 07:09 PM   #5
Lil PZEV
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
It's ok Coolaid, we were all noobs at one point!
Old 03-29-2005, 07:17 PM   #6
dgualtie

Fan#: 15238
What I Drive: 03 IR SVT

FF Reputation: 1 dgualtie Good Standing Member
welcome and congrats on the new focus.
SVT squad #7
Old 03-29-2005, 11:41 PM   #7
Coolaid
Focus Rookie

thanks guys, had to take a 200 mile ride today (travel a LOT for work) and I got a little more comfortable with the car.. still not used to sitting so high up.. All my other cars I've ever had I was pretty much sitting on the floor with small sport seats. Might look into a seat swap as my first mod. I'll do some searching here to see what others have done.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:59 AM   #8
Athena76
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8956
What I Drive: 2002 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Athena76 Good Standing Member
congrats and welcome!
My dad just signed for a Focus SE yesterday, he liked mine so much
Yeah, i was thinking of changing seats too, it looks like corbeau is pretty favorable round here
Old 03-31-2005, 02:41 PM   #9
Geturownfocus

Fan#:
Welcome to focus fanatics!!!

Bookmarks & Social Networks