Window Tint - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Focus

MK2 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the second generation 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-15-2014, 01:44 PM   #21
Miztaken1312
Focus Addict

Fan#: 74993
What I Drive: 2008 Black Coupe SES

FF Reputation: 2 Miztaken1312 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwyrick03 View Post
I ended up going 20% all around, looks pretty good. I'll have to throw up a pic for ya guys when I get a chance!
I did the same thing. I love it. Here's a picture of it and the Lamin-X tint on my taillights. The window tint is 3M.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2014, 02:02 PM   #22
SlickWilly
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 116476
What I Drive: 2009 Ford Focus SES Sangria Red

FF Reputation: 5 SlickWilly Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb0916 View Post
What brand/model tint is on the car?
Llumar high performance ceramic.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:11 PM   #23
quad11
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 110900
What I Drive: 2013 ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 quad11 Good Standing Member
Old 05-22-2014, 11:20 PM   #24
lacole725
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85112
What I Drive: 2010 Ingot Silver Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 lacole725 Good Standing Member
The tint on my car in the avatar below my username is 5%. I got an inspection ticket for it in MD. Our legal tint is 35% net for cars. I just got my windows retinted last week after a year of no tint and I went legal this time.

I did some research and the Carlite windows are designated AS2, which means the windows must have at least 70% light transmittance. This is basically a quality control thing (along with US DOT regulations). They could have 99%, 87%, or 72% light transmittance, but not less than 70%. So in order to be completely legal, the windows should be treated in the worst case scenario of 70% light transmittance. In order to change from 70% to 35% light transmittance, I got the windows tinted at 50%. It's light enough to see a person inside, which helps other drivers see my actions, but dark enough to look clean and classy on the car.

Why so much thought in this? Cops in my home area are the nickname for Richard. Even if you say "the tint shop did 35% because it's legal," they don't give a damn. If it looks too dark or if they miraculously have a light meter on them, they will give you a ticket if it is too dark. Cops have gone to the extreme of even cutting and peeling a part of a person's window tint and I don't want that. So I have all my bases covered.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:50 AM   #25
Miztaken1312
Focus Addict

I work in Towson, MD, across the street from the county courthouse. There are cops EVERYWHERE here. They don't pay me any mind with my 20% tint.

Baltimore County seems to be pretty relaxed as far pulling people over for stupid reasons like tint. Sure, if you're speeding they will nail you for the tint as well. I've gotten warnings for spinning my wheels and speeding (70+ in a 55). The only "ticket" I've gotten was a repair order for my rear license plate lights (cheap LEDs that flickered). My sister worked for the state police at the time, and she pulled a favor for me to have it signed off on before I even replaced the LEDs with quality ones.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:15 AM   #26
lacole725
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miztaken1312 View Post
I work in Towson, MD, across the street from the county courthouse. There are cops EVERYWHERE here. They don't pay me any mind with my 20% tint.

Baltimore County seems to be pretty relaxed as far pulling people over for stupid reasons like tint. Sure, if you're speeding they will nail you for the tint as well. I've gotten warnings for spinning my wheels and speeding (70+ in a 55). The only "ticket" I've gotten was a repair order for my rear license plate lights (cheap LEDs that flickered). My sister worked for the state police at the time, and she pulled a favor for me to have it signed off on before I even replaced the LEDs with quality ones.
I think I had the 5% on my car for almost two years, I got it done the first weekend I got my car in 2011. I also drove a lot, but didn't get bothered. Until that one day. I'd rather not have to deal with the hassle again so I made sure there was no way I could get in trouble for it. I probably could get 35% but then it's too much of a gamble with the cops. Like my exhaust, I like it loud, but I got a ticket for that, so I'm staying on the quiet side. Until I permanently live in a state that doesn't care about this stuff (like AL) I will make sure my stuff is legal.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:05 PM   #27
Miztaken1312
Focus Addict

Depends where you live. Like I said, Baltimore County cops don't seem to mind me
Old 05-23-2014, 10:08 PM   #28
lacole725
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Depends where you live. Like I said, Baltimore County cops don't seem to mind me
I'm from Queen Anne's County. For some reason nobody has been able to identify, our cops are meaner even though there are less people and less crime. I guess that's the most excitement they get in a typical day.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:09 PM   #29
Miztaken1312
Focus Addict

Are they state trooper kind of mean? MD state police are really horrible
Old 05-23-2014, 10:12 PM   #30
lacole725
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Are they state trooper kind of mean? MD state police are really horrible
Yeah, but they get moved all around so it never really is the same bunch. I only had my windows tinted that dark because I was working for a private investigator at the time. My bosses were retired state troopers and the are current warrant agents, but the trooper that pulled me over was too young to know them so I couldn't get away with it lol.

Bookmarks & Social Networks