brakes - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-06-2014, 10:23 AM   #1
juliaanne70
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 155562
What I Drive: ford focus 2003 1.6 petrol

FF Reputation: 1 juliaanne70 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Angry brakes

Hi can anyone give me some advice ? In the last 12 months I have had 8 sets of front discs and pads on my 2002 focus as the discs keep warping, after around 3-4 weeks after they have been replaced they start banging when you apply the brakes . Im really fed up as cant really use the car for anything other than short journeys for fear of brakes failing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2014, 10:29 AM   #2
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

FF Reputation: 2 cbdallas Good Standing Member
Only 3 things I know of that typically cause this: Cheap rotors, overtorqued lug nuts, or unbalance braking (fronts are overworked because the braking proportion is off, causing constant overheating of the fronts). Where are you sourcing the rotors?
Old 05-06-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
I'll go further than that. Driver error or install error. There is no way you can go through 8 sets of discs in one year, I sold the cheapest of the cheap and they don't go that fast. You would have to literally hold foot on brakes all the time while driving, what may be happening here.

If I had sold you the rotors/pads, you would have been turned away after money refund after the second set, more to the problem than just a parts issue.

Warped discs do not 'bang'. Poor description there.

If truly warped that quick then back to answer #1, the only way that could happen. Or twisting the lugs like Godzilla.

There is no true proportioning happening on these, they have diagonal braking systems with only a pressure 'limiting' valve on the rears.

Make sure the anti-rattle wire bails are in place, could make the banging noise as well as destroy the pads from improper mounting. Install error again.

Brakes also don't 'fail' just because they are warped, they just don't stop well.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:22 PM   #4
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

FF Reputation: 2 cbdallas Good Standing Member
Good point...I fogot about cross-channel brakes. I was just remembering back to my friend's old VW Rabbit when the rear brakes ceased to function after having the master cylinder replaced. Her front brakes were always smoking and she didn't know why. I took it for a drive on a gravel road and nailed the brakes....the fronts immediately locked and the rears just kept rolling. That was a scary vehicle until that got fixed...I just don't know WHAT they fixed.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:10 PM   #5
juliaanne70
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 155562
What I Drive: ford focus 2003 1.6 petrol

FF Reputation: 1 juliaanne70 Good Standing Member
The noise it makes on breaking is a thumping rather than banging, as it was said it was a bad description. I dont know who the supplier is as I have had them done at 2 garages as that was the second mechanics thought that cheap parts were being used. I have had many cars and been driving for over 20 years and this has never happened before.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:02 PM   #6
FocusKnot
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117505
What I Drive: 2004 Red SE Wagon 2.0 Zetec Auto

FF Reputation: 3 FocusKnot Good Standing Member
Something's wrong for sure. Maybe you need to go a step further and replace the calipers when doing the pads and rotors.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:07 PM   #7
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Quite odd, one would think anything obvious would be caught after seeing two different garages.

Calipers dragging constantly for some reason is the one additional possibility I could add to the list. Should be checked after a drive as it wasn't obvious to anyone immediately after installation.

Moving this to our "Brakes, Suspension & Chassis" area for more looks & a better home.

S.R. #275

Old 05-06-2014, 05:26 PM   #8
badazz2010focus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78166
What I Drive: 2010 ingot silver 2 dr 5 speed

FF Reputation: 7 badazz2010focus Good Standing Member
I was gonna say calipers getting hung up.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:33 AM   #9
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Yep, the brake would have to be on literally 100% of the time at least partially.

Even the cheapest discs will make a year in normal driving.

Bookmarks & Social Networks