Issue with NEW rear calipers - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-07-2014, 10:26 AM   #11
Jensen_75
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 140346
What I Drive: 03 Screaming Yellow SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 Jensen_75 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
I was thinking about this part in particular. When they don't fit together square & tight you get flex that feels like a system that still has air in it.

IF you saw them flex while someone pushed the pedal with them installed that way it would be more obvious - hope fixing that is at least a step toward getting them right.

Luck
My sentence structure was bad. I meant to specify that I noticed this when taking out the old pads. I made sure I put the new ones in correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambleon84 View Post
Try getting a friend to press the brake pedal while you look at each rear brake. See if you can tell how the calipers are working. Then again have them work the hand brake, the hand brake is independent of the pedal, might be able to trouble shoot which is causing issues.

The parking brake line tension can be adjusted at the handle if you take off the center console, there is an adjustment screw there. I know i had to adjust mine some when i added rear discs but since you were just replacing the existing rear calipers, that shouldnt be an issue.

From the initial post, sounds like the system wasnt bled all the way. Did the reservoir ever fully drain?
The reservoir did drain completely but that was before I started the bleeding process. I filled it up and let the LR and RR gravity bleed before starting the bleeding process . When I did the fronts I never let the fluid level go down. I ran a whole 12oz of fluid through the rears to be sure I got the air out. I ran 3/4 of a can through the front as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2014, 04:07 PM   #12
rexazz2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 121761
What I Drive: 2014 HB SE

FF Reputation: 1 rexazz2 Good Standing Member
I think it is impossible to mix up left and right calipers and still get the cable attached but I will still ask

When the caliper is installed are the bleeder screws to the top ?

Any chance that you clamped off the brake hose to prevent fluid loss ?

Also try to have the mater cylinder as level as possible when bleeding , to prevent trapping air
Old 05-07-2014, 06:44 PM   #13
Jensen_75
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexazz2 View Post
I think it is impossible to mix up left and right calipers and still get the cable attached but I will still ask

When the caliper is installed are the bleeder screws to the top ?

Any chance that you clamped off the brake hose to prevent fluid loss ?

Also try to have the mater cylinder as level as possible when bleeding , to prevent trapping air
For sure have all the bleeder valves on top.

I replaced all the lines with the Russel braided lines so I did not try to clamp any off.

I bled the car on a flat level driveway.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:23 PM   #14
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 22 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensen_75 View Post
The reservoir did drain completely but that was before I started the bleeding process. I filled it up and let the LR and RR gravity bleed before starting the bleeding process . When I did the fronts I never let the fluid level go down. I ran a whole 12oz of fluid through the rears to be sure I got the air out. I ran 3/4 of a can through the front as well.

I know I've heard that letting the reservoir drain can introduce air into the master cylinder and that its a pain to get all the air of the system. I have also heard of MC's going bad, but that would be just a weird coincidence that it happened doing a routine brake job.

Bleed some more...try doing it the old school way with someone on the pedal and you giving the open/close command. If you get another bottle of fluid through the system and see no improvement, assuming all of your connections with the new hoses are good, I'd look at the MC.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:41 PM   #15
Jensen_75
Focus Enthusiast

UPDATE:

Bled the brakes again (rr then lr then rf then lf). The rr was giving constant bubbles and I ran 6oz of fluid to no avail. I though maybe it was the tube I had to drain the fluid into a container so I moved on. I got to the lf and the first pump of the pedal sounded like pure air. The next few were clear of bubbles. The pedal felt better. I went back to the rr just to be sure and I got no bubbles from there anymore.

Took it for a quick ride and the pedal travel is about the same but I have much more brake feel. The parking brake seemed to work better too.

What I still don't like is that the parking brake mechanism for the lr does not seat against the stop when the parking brake is not engaged. However the parking brake cable is not tight on that side and the rotor still spins freely. Not sure if the stamped and bent mechanism pieces just have some variance.

Overall I think this fixed my issue. It feels much better. I will drive around a bit and make sure the pads are wearing correctly and maybe bleed the system again since I am due for an oil change soon.

Bookmarks & Social Networks