Duratec "Intake Tuning Valve" - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-27-2005, 02:04 AM   #1
zxtunerdotcom
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19637
What I Drive: 2005 Cloud 9 White ZX3 S

FF Reputation: 1 zxtunerdotcom Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Duratec "Intake Tuning Valve" and "Intake Manifold Runner Control"

since i'm a relative duratec noob, i started seeking sources for information regarding the mysteries of the intake manifold runner control valve, and the intake tuning valve - and how they relate to the motor's operation and performance.

here's what i dug up on the 2.3's intake tuning valve:

• The variable tumble system functions to lower emissions at cold-engine start.

• At cold-engine start, the variable tumble system increases intake airflow speed by closing the shutter valve and narrowing the intake passage. As a result, the air-fuel mixture quality from the injector is improved. Additionally, the creation of a powerful air tumble in the combustion chamber promotes the atomization of the air-fuel mixture. Due to this, exhaust emission efficiency is improved.

VARIABLE TUMBLE (INTAKE TUNING VALVE) OPERATION

Engine speed approx. 3,750 rpm or more and engine coolant temperature approx. 63°C {145°F} and more (variable tumble shutter valve is closed)

Intake manifold vacuum is applied to the variable tumble shutter valve actuator by the operation of the variable tumble solenoid valve, closing the variable tumble shutter valve. At this time, the intake passage is narrower than normal, increasing intake airflow speed and also creating a powerful air tumble in the combustion chamber.

SO...
if what that information states is true, the intake tuning valve has no redeeming performance value other than aiding emissions (and possible cold starting) while the motor is warming up.

it sounds like the hose running from the intake tuning solenoid to the intake tuning diaphram needs to be provoked into having a huge vacuum leak :)

rob

Last edited by zxtunerdotcom; 03-27-2005 at 02:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2005, 02:11 AM   #2
zxtunerdotcom
Focus Enthusiast

AND...

i found some juicy info on the IMRC valve setup on the duratecs as well...

• The variable intake air system maintains high torque from the low to high engine speed ranges.

• Changes the effective intake manifold length when the engine speed borders on 4,750 rpm to enhance the inertia charging effect. As a result, higher torque is obtained in all ranges.

Inertia charging effect
- Airflow in the intake air pipe pulsates according to the opening and closing of the intake valve. When the intake valve closes, intake air is compressed near the intake valve due to inertia force. The resulting pressure wave is reflected to the throttle valve side by the intake valve and the wave is then reflected back to the intake valve side when it reaches the dynamic chamber. The effective intake manifold length is controlled so that the pressure wave returns to the intake valve at the intake stroke. Due to this, air intake volume increases, resulting in higher torque.

Effective intake manifold length
- The effective intake manifold length is the length from the intake valve to the dynamic chamber.
- The effective intake manifold length changes according to the positioning of the reflected pressure wave transmitted through the intake air pipe by the opening and closing of the variable intake-air shutter valve in the intake manifold.

VARIABLE INTAKE-AIR SYSTEM OPERATION

At engine speed less than 4,750 rpm (variable intake air shutter valve is closed)
• Intake manifold vacuum is applied to the variable intake-air shutter valve by the operation of the variable intake-air solenoid valve, closing the variable intake-air shutter valve.

• Under this condition, the effective intake manifold length is from the intake valve to the dynamic chamber (A-C). An inertia charging effect is obtained due to this elongated intake manifold length, air intake volume increases, and higher torque is obtained at low to medium engine speeds.

At engine speed of 4,750 rpm or more (variable intake air shutter valve is open)
• The variable intake-air shutter valve is open.

• Under this condition, the effective intake manifold length is from the intake valve to the chamber (B-C). The intake air inertia effect is obtained at high engine speeds due to this shortened intake air pipe, increasing intake airflow amount in the cylinder, and higher torque at high engine speeds is obtained.

there was some graphs too - what it shows is the magic intersection figure given by Ford is 4750rpm, and the manifold is in long runner ststus with vacuum applied to the IMRC valve (vacuum to valve = low rpm runners, no vacuum to valve = high rpm runners)

SO...
sounds like maybe a rpm switch and a tach driver can be wired in to modify a switching signal to the IMRC solenoid for engaging the runners at an earlier or later rpm, which will be helpful for a little additional tuning.

who's for an adjustable IMRC control??

rob

Last edited by zxtunerdotcom; 03-27-2005 at 02:22 AM.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:37 AM   #3
Foci_Fosho
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 5736
What I Drive: 2003 White zx3 2.3L

FF Reputation: 16 Foci_Fosho Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
i have no idea if tapping into the soleniod is possible. does the CAN-bus nature of our ecu prohibit it? we could use one of those engineers who developed the duratec to come to this thread.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:25 AM   #4
zxtunerdotcom
Focus Enthusiast

oh yeah, it can be done, there is definately a way :)

probably the best method is not to fuss with the existing circuitry at all, but rather add a second vacuum solenoid between the vacuum diaphram and original solenoid, and have this new solenoid be triggered by an independent circuit, consisiting of a tach driver and a rpm cutoff switch (same circuit you'd find in a shift light)

rob

Last edited by zxtunerdotcom; 03-28-2005 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:06 AM   #5
soffiler

Fan#: 372
What I Drive: '03 ZX3 PZEV 5-spd Twilight Blue; '97 F-250 4x4 w/ 351 V8 & AT

FF Reputation: 1 soffiler Good Standing Member
Hey Rob:

Nice work! Very interesting reading. I must admit I was confused... I was under the impression that we had only one set of flaps in our intakes. So, there's actually two... and one set is there only to improve cold-start emissions... hmmm... I *really* wonder if there isn't any performance benefit to these; seems that anything that helps mix the intake charge is going to improve combustion efficiency regardless whether it's cold-start, or any time.

Out of curiousity, where'd you dig up that info?
Old 03-28-2005, 10:39 AM   #6
zxtunerdotcom
Focus Enthusiast

i have connections to some ford tech data. the intake tumble or tuning valve is in the 2.3's, but not the 2.0's. lots of fun tidbits. :)

all the "tuning valve" really is is a throttle butterfly near the fuel injectors to restrict port size and promote swirl. they only use it on cold starts with low revs because if they didn't the car would be an absolute dog due to it's airway restriction.

this part, along w/ the extra cat, the electric air pump, the stepper motor egr, and the high compression ratio is probably what makes the PZEV run so much cleaner than most other motors out there.

rob

Last edited by zxtunerdotcom; 03-30-2005 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:21 PM   #7
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing Member Egz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Some people have been playing with the deleting the tumble flaps. It picks up some power, but there seems to be some ECU tuning needed to help drivablilty.

duratec.wikispaces.com - Duratec Wiki - Sign up and contribute!
Old 03-29-2005, 07:31 AM   #8
vanace
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
all the "tuning valve" really is is a throttle butterfly near the fuel injectors to restrict port size and promote swirl. they only use it on cold starts because if they didn't the car would be an absolute dog due to it's airway restriction.

that statement makes no sense. From what you described in an earlier posts, paraphrased here is that the closed butterflies increased low end torque, and when opened, allowed the air flow to give best HP for the higher rpm. Now your saying that it is only used on cold starts, and would be a dog do to it's air way restriction. Sorry, but I think it is a good system to take advantange of of both worlds of low end power and top end power.
ST crew #18
Old 03-29-2005, 08:24 AM   #9
soffiler

Fan#: 372
What I Drive: '03 ZX3 PZEV 5-spd Twilight Blue; '97 F-250 4x4 w/ 351 V8 & AT

FF Reputation: 1 soffiler Good Standing Member
Yeah, I'm struggling with the notion that the "tuning valves" or "tumble flaps" only come into play on cold starts. Other descriptions I've heard (such as the one contained in the FF news archives, see 2003 "have your cake and eat it too) talk about the increased turbulence with flaps closed benefitting torque as well as emissions at lower RPM... nothing about cold-start only. However, on the other hand, zxtunerdotcom has demonstrated that he knows his stuff and also that he has access to tech information.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:31 PM   #10
Foci_Fosho
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 5736
What I Drive: 2003 White zx3 2.3L

FF Reputation: 16 Foci_Fosho Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
...... the stepper motor egr, and the high compression ratio is probably what makes the PZEV run so much cleaner than most other motors out there.
I didn't think our engines compression was all that high. 9.6:1?

what's the norm?

Bookmarks & Social Networks