MK1 Strut Bearings Breaking w/ Koni Yellows and HR Race Springs. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-04-2014, 03:15 PM   #1
Squareleft
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33224
What I Drive: 01 zx3

FF Reputation: 1 Squareleft Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
MK1 Strut Bearings Breaking w/ Koni Yellows and HR Race Springs.

Anyone have experience with this. Its rather frustrating. I use to rally race and have been an Auto Tech for several years so my experience mechanically and tuning are rather seasoned. Not saying i know "all" but out of all my cars the suspension on this car has been just a headache.
Ive ran stiff suspension in several cars, group n components & open class components along with road racing suspension but this car is just killing me between bearings and sway bar links.

Current setup:
-reinforced rear control arms
-All poly engine mounts
-All poly bushings in suspension minus trailing arms
-Eibach front and rear sway bars
-H&R race springs.
-Koni Yellows Currently set to around 1/3 stiffness to half at times.
-Camber bolts.

Ive had oem front strut plates and kyb strut plates and on both the bearings have broke. This is the first time i have bought Konis but my overall experience has been so so. between returning a couple for leaks right off the bat ive had this issue as well. Im running very litte negative camber but i do drive the car on relatively smooth gravel roads every other weekend to go Mountain biking.

Only fix to me sounds like Pillow Ball mounts but other than discontinued LCR plates i know of no one else that make decent strut plates with integrated bearings. SP i hear are no good.

Any suggestions or anyone else experience this id love to know. Obviously the suspension seems too stiff for standard strut bearings. thats my take on it. All metal housing bearing would probably ideal as well instead of the cheap plastic case.

Last edited by Squareleft; 05-04-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2014, 05:55 PM   #2
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
What's actually breaking? Any description on how it breaks?

You were talking about both top mounts & bearings so I'm not quite sure where you're getting the breakage. (Camber bolts listed with shocks/struts was a little strange, separately makes more sense to me since they're used on the upper rear arms)

Top mounts coming apart? Or are the spring plate bearings giving up.

Those front bar links ARE a common problem area, often get cheap replacements. You might need the best replacements & double nut them on.

S.R. #275
Old 05-04-2014, 08:15 PM   #3
PSUrivie
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 67329
What I Drive: Boostin in the Mid-A

FF Reputation: 15 PSUrivie Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
It's your suspension. It's beating the nuts outta the strut mounts. I had the same issue with my H&R coilovers. I was going through strut mounts/bearings like hotcakes. Your best bet it to swap over to some type of camber plate.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:38 PM   #4
Squareleft
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33224
What I Drive: 01 zx3

FF Reputation: 1 Squareleft Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUrivie View Post
It's your suspension. It's beating the nuts outta the strut mounts. I had the same issue with my H&R coilovers. I was going through strut mounts/bearings like hotcakes. Your best bet it to swap over to some type of camber plate.
Im glad im not the only one. It is inconvenient more than anything and puts more stress on the strut than id like when they go.

Any ideas of pillow balls/camber plates that are available?

Sailor--Yea i made another line there for the camber bolts for the rear.
To note, the housing of the strut bearings are disintegrating and it leaves a big variance causing the strut to lean in on the upper spring plate and pop. Also the strut mount gets marred and beat up due to the excessive movement with the bearing completely gone. When i mean gone its gone. there might be a peice of thin metal and plastic surround left stuck. usually they just end up on the road somewhere.
The endlinks i am probably on my 8th set. started just going with cheap oreillys brand that has zerts to grease. However i thought about switching to massive links and eventhough they are a heim joint system im still afraid ill somehow break those too.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->