What alignment settings have helped good tire mileage? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-30-2014, 12:13 PM   #1
zxr250cc
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 93521
What I Drive: 2004 SVT EAP Screaming Yellow

FF Reputation: 2 zxr250cc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
What alignment settings have helped good tire mileage?

I have been doing 10th Anniversary maintenance updates on my 2004 SVT and asked in another thread for advice about tire alignment that promotes good tire mileage. No answers with settings advice were received.

I have about 87k miles on my Focus and this is the 4th set of tires. All the previous tires were replaced due to inside of the tires being worn out by the rear camber or toe in alignment settings.

Has anyone had a set of tires that wore evenly until they wore out, not worn out on the inner edge? If yes, what are your camber and toe in and toe out settings for the front and rear on the car?

Thanks in advance!

cheers...

2004 European Appearance Package SVT Focus, HID, sunroof, cold weather package Screaming Yellow, Original Owner. Anyone who prefers the Euro style 15 spoke rim to the 5 spoke rims has never cleaned the brake dust out of those wheels!

Last edited by zxr250cc; 04-30-2014 at 01:33 PM. Reason: bad grammar
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2014, 01:06 PM   #2
pasta
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62350
What I Drive: 2003 eap svt

Points 9,534, Level 65
Points: 9,534, Level: 65 Points: 9,534, Level: 65 Points: 9,534, Level: 65
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 43%
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%
FF Reputation: 5 pasta Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (40)
Have you done rotation because I never had those problems did you also check front end
Old 04-30-2014, 01:11 PM   #3
BigRed03
( o Y o )

Fan#: 32177
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 9 BigRed03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Most tire shops, even when you say "ITS AN SVT" will align it to regular focus specs, which are much more loose than the SVTs specs. So far, being 2" lower with no camber adjustment and 0!!!!! toe front and rear, no inside edge wear. Tell them you want 0.00 front and rear. As for print out verification, or watch the tech and give him greenback "incentive".

NOTE: the car will "dance" more in the lane following ruts and grooves with these settings, so be forewarned.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:37 PM   #4
zxr250cc
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Rotation has been done and the inside of the tires is all that has been wearing out. Lots of tread on the middle to outer part when the inside is worn down smooth. I have gotten sick of the tires being worn out so soon. I have been doing the updates to refresh the running gear and have changed the struts, shocks, some of the bushings and have had the alignment checked. The RR tire has 2 degrees of camber, the LR is at 1 degree and the toe in is unknown at present and will be set again soon as I am going to change the upper and lower rear links. I changed the front already.

I am hoping to see suggested numerical settings....
2004 European Appearance Package SVT Focus, HID, sunroof, cold weather package Screaming Yellow, Original Owner. Anyone who prefers the Euro style 15 spoke rim to the 5 spoke rims has never cleaned the brake dust out of those wheels!
Old 04-30-2014, 04:18 PM   #5
natehack
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 152738
What I Drive: 2003 SVT EAP

Points 6, Level 1
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 natehack Good Standing Member
In my reading, I have seen 1/8" max combined toe in the front and as close to 0 as possible in the rear. Don't know where I saw it, but I have it written down on my 'to do' list for the new to us SVT.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:35 PM   #6
..:: sleestak ::..
on thin air

Fan#: 22528
What I Drive: 04 Forester XTi

Points 14,325, Level 77
Points: 14,325, Level: 77 Points: 14,325, Level: 77 Points: 14,325, Level: 77
Level Up 69% Completed
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 80 ..:: sleestak ::.. Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Nitto NeoGen ties are made for a little extra camber wear and are also an excellent all season.

"Our mother of blessed accelleration, dont fail us now!" -- Elwood Blues
Old 04-30-2014, 05:43 PM   #7
apagios
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 40891
What I Drive: '03 ZX5 SVT, '05 Mazdaspeed Miata

Points 873, Level 15
Points: 873, Level: 15 Points: 873, Level: 15 Points: 873, Level: 15
Level Up 73% Completed
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 apagios Good Standing Member
Mine shredded the inner tire edges too.

When I rebuilt the suspension I yanked every single bushing and put the full Prothane kit in. Since then I keep it to 0.0 toe all around. I always have to talk to a manager as it is outside the factory specs. But I have even tire wear now and I can predictably slide the rear around turns when I want.

With zero toe all around the car get much more neutral in turns, more fun!

A caution on running 0 toe in the rear though:

From all my research prior to the prothane kit install, I was under the impression that going 0.0 toe all around is a bad move with stock rubber bushings as they have more flex under loading. So if you statically set zero toe in the rear with rubber bushings you are risking some toe out in the rear under high cornering loads as the rubber bushings flex. toe out is going to give you some unstable rear squirelly-ness, and tendency to over rotate the rear end on high loading.

Something to think about, perhaps someone here may have tried zero toe in the rear with stock rubber bushings and can chime in with impressions?
Old 05-02-2014, 06:11 PM   #8
Svteurobw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 137529
What I Drive: 2004 screaming yellow svt zx3

FF Reputation: 2 Svteurobw Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
IMHO if u have the options of all alignment options camber toe and caster and take it to a good shop they should set everything to 0 on the machine if your reading 0 then your alignment is perfect if it doesn't then your not good. They give tolerances so the tec can do an alignment at a reasonable time but if u tell the alignment shop u want everything perfect they should do it. I have done alignments brought all measurements perfect and never had issues on wear with a proper rotation of tires.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:44 PM   #9
sailor
Crankshaft

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 11,780, Level 71
Points: 11,780, Level: 71 Points: 11,780, Level: 71 Points: 11,780, Level: 71
Level Up 33% Completed
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 79 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by natehack View Post
In my reading, I have seen 1/8" max combined toe in the front and as close to 0 as possible in the rear. Don't know where I saw it, but I have it written down on my 'to do' list for the new to us SVT.
FWIW - This is exactly reversed front to rear. Up front is where you want Zero, as it toes in slightly as the wheels drive the car. Rear needs slight toe for a street setting.

S.R. #275
Old 05-02-2014, 08:45 PM   #10
zxr250cc
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

In one forum I was reading I saw suggestions for 0 to 0.04" toe out on front and 0 to 0.02" toe in on rear. What was never said was what tire wear was like.

I was worried about tire wear and camber but it seems toe in is more of a tire eater that camber, from what I have been reading.

So, I have been asking for comments from drivers who actually had even tire wear during the life of the tires. My target camber setting is 1 degree of camber, I think. Toe in and out are what I am needing advice about along with tire wear to allow my new tires to last more than 20 k miles and have the inside bald as can be and the outside half tread or more. Been there, seen that and don't want a repeat.

Cheers..

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.