What to buy? Looking for dogbone mount... - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Focus

MK2 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the second generation 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-01-2014, 04:53 PM   #11
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
There's a very heated thread that goes over what causes wheel hop and how you can get rid of it. A stiffer mount will... help-but should by no means be used in an effort to "eliminate" wheel hop. The mount has little to no effect on the forces that cause the problem.

I have the VF mount. It's wonderful and I definitely recommend it. I hardly notice vibrations and shifts are much easier and more precise. I do still get wheel hop on hard launches, though it is not as pronounced as it is with the factory motor mount.

There is a noticeably sharper reaction to throttle input with a stiffer mount, however I can not recommend modifying the driver and passenger side mounts on a daily driven vehicle. The vibration would be ridiculous and you would likely never notice a difference in performance vs the stock mounts.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2014, 05:39 PM   #12
Miztaken1312
Focus Addict

Fan#: 74993
What I Drive: 2008 Black Coupe SES

FF Reputation: 2 Miztaken1312 Good Standing Member
Thanks Mac. I was already certain nothing would be gained from changing the upper mounts, but the confirmation is good. Visually, the VF and CFM look quite similar. Is there something different on the implementation or engineering side I'm not seeing?
Old 05-01-2014, 09:21 PM   #13
PSUrivie
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 67329
What I Drive: Boostin in the Mid-A

FF Reputation: 15 PSUrivie Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
CFM mount. Direct bolt on. You can see that the bushings are broke in. However, the mount doesn't cause any noises, clunking, etc. The only reason why I took it off is because I bought the Massive Speed one that has a stiffer mount (95A bushings). Not sure how many miles, but there won't be much vibration compared to buying a new one. $40 shipped. I see your in Bmore. I'm in Elkridge so I'm sure we can meet up if you like.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:38 PM   #14
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
The VF mount bushing has a flange that sits on the chassis mounting point.

Installed

2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:43 PM   #15
Miztaken1312
Focus Addict

Tom I'll take it. Best case: it does exactly what I want. Worst case: I get the stiffer bushings from CFM. Worst worst case: I buy the Massive or VF mount down the road.

When & where would you be interested in meeting? Would Catonsville be good? Like at the CCBC Campus? Or near there?

And thanks for the pics Mac (and Tom). This will be helpful to others down the road, I'm sure.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:18 PM   #16
ThaKillerKlown
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 73791
What I Drive: '11 SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 ThaKillerKlown Good Standing Member
Ok, I've been following these few motor/tranny mount threads and I need suggestions.

I have 102,000 on my 2011 SES, all highway miles. Its lowered on Eibach Sportlines, stock aside from that and I know my mounts are bad as I am getting vibration at idle and a slight thunk when I put it in gear from park. I drive 140 miles a day round trip to work.

I am leaning towards factory uppers and an aftermarket lower, possibly the Massive mount.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Old 05-02-2014, 12:46 PM   #17
Miztaken1312
Focus Addict

Since it's your DD, I'd follow macs advice, go factory uppers and anything you put in the bottom will be an improvement over your worn out one. It's just a matter of how much money you want to shell for a mount
Old 05-02-2014, 03:51 PM   #18
ThaKillerKlown
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 73791
What I Drive: '11 SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 ThaKillerKlown Good Standing Member
Price aside, I guess its between the VF and the one by Massive. Thoughts?
Old 05-02-2014, 04:38 PM   #19
onlycodered
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 149570
What I Drive: '09 Vista Blue SES coupe 5spd

FF Reputation: 4 onlycodered Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Thanks for the tip on the Massive mount. I think I'll be going for that one now personally. Can't say no to $70!
Old 05-02-2014, 06:10 PM   #20
PSUrivie
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 67329
What I Drive: Boostin in the Mid-A

FF Reputation: 15 PSUrivie Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
There's a very heated thread that goes over what causes wheel hop and how you can get rid of it. A stiffer mount will... help-but should by no means be used in an effort to "eliminate" wheel hop. The mount has little to no effect on the forces that cause the problem.

I have the VF mount. It's wonderful and I definitely recommend it. I hardly notice vibrations and shifts are much easier and more precise. I do still get wheel hop on hard launches, though it is not as pronounced as it is with the factory motor mount.

There is a noticeably sharper reaction to throttle input with a stiffer mount, however I can not recommend modifying the driver and passenger side mounts on a daily driven vehicle. The vibration would be ridiculous and you would likely never notice a difference in performance vs the stock mounts.
I beg to differ. I ran the rear mount for awhile, then upgraded the top driver/pass mount. The vibrations are not that bad once they break in. I also bumped my idle up to 1K, which helps alot also. There is a difference running all three mounts.

Bookmarks & Social Networks