Car and Driver Reviews 2014 Focus Electric - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-28-2014, 12:41 PM   #1
Extreme Dimensions
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 53558
What I Drive: Too Many To List

FF Reputation: 2 Extreme Dimensions Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Exclamation Car and Driver Reviews 2014 Focus Electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car and Driver
As with the other automakers in this test, Ford gives you the top-spec interior with all the trimmings when you go electric, a partial salve for the extra money you’re spending. With its clean, aero-swept styling and crouched stance, the Focus is laden with buttons, screens, and thumb controls set in soft-touch plastics and other quality materials. Perforated dots in the seat leather evoke coral reefs as seen from space. The cabin is quiet at all times, even at freeway speeds. You can fit three people in the back seat.

This Tesla Model S for the rest of us only suffers from high power consumption, as its battery gushes juice to move the Focus’s 3632 pounds. Its electron appetite ranked at the top with the Fiat, though the pack’s relatively large size, at 23.0 kWh, still ekes out a comparatively decent 64-mile range. However, if you’re profligate with the climate control, the range can drop considerably. Sitting still, we dialed up the auto temperature control a few degrees, and the indicated range immediately dropped 10 miles. No other car makes the energy cost of our modern comforts so apparent.

The Focus Electric's cargo-hold floor shows what happens when a battery replaces a fuel tank.
The most natural-feeling of our EVs, the Focus delivers a smooth if somewhat muted rush of torque and has excellent brakes. It stays flat through corners and cuts a clean freeway groove with an unflustered ride. No doubt because of its bulk, or the fact that it runs on the widest tires, it was second-slowest to 60 mph. At low speeds, such as when you’re trolling through a pedestrian-heavy area, you can catch the motor clunking between its drive and regen modes, but otherwise the Focus feels solid and well integrated.

Ford packages its EV-related data mostly in the instrument cluster, into two high-res screens surrounding the speedometer that are manipulated with the steering-wheel buttons and will dazzle you with info. We spent 20 minutes exploring the system’s many pages, which read like a PowerPoint presentation from the local electric utility. A “brake coach” helps you stretch the range if you follow it closely, while another screen will populate with electronic “butterflies” according to how ecologically you drive.

You can smirk at such gimmicks—one editor called the butterflies “dumb”—but driving an electric car is a game of managing a limited energy supply, and visual aids are useful. Geez, who hates a butterfly? Less handy is the MyFord Touch system, which requires a couple of steps of menu-drilling to get it to show the nearest charging stations.

What the Focus Electric really does best is give you a reason to go test drive the top-of-the-line gas-burning Focus.

**Group Buys Welcome**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #2
thehubster
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46763
What I Drive: 2002 Blue Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 2 thehubster Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
3632 Lbs. That is ridiculous! that weighs more then my mustang! if you live in a city close to where you work these cars can be really awesome but they are just to expensive still.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #3
ShadowFocus603
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118448
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black SVT EAP 2Dr #1878

FF Reputation: 1 ShadowFocus603 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehubster View Post
3632 Lbs. That is ridiculous! that weighs more then my mustang! if you live in a city close to where you work these cars can be really awesome but they are just to expensive still.
^^^This. These automakers are still being paid off by big oil to make electric cars look bad so they weight them down with a bunch of redundant bs to kill the range then we see reviews where they say "the interior with the built in refridgeratortvshowerbedetc is beautiful but we just can't figure out why the range is so terrible". Idiots. A proper electric car should be as light as possible for this exact reason. Forget the bells and whistles. Make the metal parts out of aluminum or even high impact plastic like Saturn used to to save weight. Eliminate things that use electricity frivolously, like ass warmers and gps, and keep it basic. Motor, heater, AC (especially in desert bound cars this is a must even if it does eat juice), and batteries.
2004 Ford Focus SVT #1878
Old 05-03-2014, 05:02 PM   #4
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
We're still a ways from making electric vehicles attractive to the masses and more practical.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:33 PM   #5
Jburks
Focus Addict

Fan#: 145009
What I Drive: 2014 Ford Focus Hatchback SE RR DCT

FF Reputation: 1 Jburks Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFocus603 View Post
^^^This. These automakers are still being paid off by big oil to make electric cars look bad so they weight them down with a bunch of redundant bs to kill the range then we see reviews where they say "the interior with the built in refridgeratortvshowerbedetc is beautiful but we just can't figure out why the range is so terrible". Idiots. A proper electric car should be as light as possible for this exact reason. Forget the bells and whistles. Make the metal parts out of aluminum or even high impact plastic like Saturn used to to save weight. Eliminate things that use electricity frivolously, like ass warmers and gps, and keep it basic. Motor, heater, AC (especially in desert bound cars this is a must even if it does eat juice), and batteries.
well put.
Build thread-http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382642
Old 05-03-2014, 10:04 PM   #6
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 62 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Big Conspiracy

It's a lot simpler & stupider than that.

People paying the extra for "high tech" fuel economy want a car with luxury features. It's expensive, so it better be comfortable/luxurious.

If Economy was the real point they'd just buy small/light/cheap/efficient Economy cars.

Why else do you think the Prius didn't sell UNTIL it had it's own body style & more luxury features? "Look at Me" value & comfort besides. Honda Insight (current) copied the body style to LOOK like a hybrid, and sell better than a Civic hybrid that didn't look much different. Biggest complaint? Not luxurious enough.

Basic transportation doesn't sell worth bleep, making it fancier sells.

Add extras to ANYTHING & it sells better, AND for more $ so there's more profit.

Just look at appliances for confirmation - No "big oil" there, but from coffee makers to refrigerators & washing machines the "Fancy" ones are the most desirable.

I could go on, even vehicles with a large "Wow" or "Look at Me" presence need to be reasonably comfortable & have the "basic" comfort features common today to sell. Even though many of those features were extra cost and NOT common in the past, when available at all.

S.R. #275
Old 05-06-2014, 05:29 PM   #7
Extreme Dimensions
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 53558
What I Drive: Too Many To List

FF Reputation: 2 Extreme Dimensions Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
As someone that commutes 35 miles one way, an electric car would be awesome but it would still need to be practical which is where something like the Prius or the Volt would fit perfectly whereas the Leaf or another all electric wouldn't be because I would need to charge at work.
**Group Buys Welcome**
Old 05-06-2014, 05:38 PM   #8
FoFoTi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119990
What I Drive: 2014 hatch

FF Reputation: 1 FoFoTi Good Standing Member
I'm shocked (pun intended) there isn't a smoky burnout feature like BMW ...

http://www.bmwblog.com/2013/12/11/ne...rnout-feature/
Old 05-07-2014, 07:35 AM   #9
Bleed Blue
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52048
What I Drive: 2005 Gray Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 Bleed Blue Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoFoTi View Post
I'm shocked (pun intended) there isn't a smoky burnout feature like BMW ...

http://www.bmwblog.com/2013/12/11/ne...rnout-feature/
Or the ultimate burnout king....Tesla
1998 Ford Ranger S-Cab Flareside 4X4 (another toy)
Kia...Making Home Town Buffet look classy!
Old 05-07-2014, 08:36 AM   #10
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
This is America, after all. The better the car; the better the person.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.

Bookmarks & Social Networks