wireing up a set of foglights 09 focus - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Focus

MK2 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the second generation 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-26-2014, 01:27 PM   #1
281Screw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 158970
What I Drive: 09 Focus SE Gold and 07 F150

FF Reputation: 1 281Screw Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
wireing up a set of foglights 09 focus

Hi everyone I'm new here just got an 09 Focus SE. I am going to be adding fog lights have everything I need; just need to know what wire to splice into using the OEM head lamp switch with fog light control. i dont want to use the switch it came with. the kit i am getting is this one

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AGVZNYRCZBVKZ

Last edited by 281Screw; 04-26-2014 at 10:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2014, 01:39 PM   #2
Johnnystaff
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95484
What I Drive: 2010 mint green focus se

FF Reputation: 1 Johnnystaff Good Standing Member
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267177

That's a step by step
Old 04-28-2014, 09:37 PM   #3
281Screw
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnystaff View Post
Thanks, I saw that just was wondering if anybody had a wire diagram on what wire to splice into to have them turn on with the running lights. Also I don't think the kit I got comes with the mounting bolts; so if anyone knows what size I need to get that would be helpful also thanks.

Last edited by 281Screw; 04-28-2014 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:01 AM   #4
greene04
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 158082
What I Drive: 2009 S Black

FF Reputation: 1 greene04 Good Standing Member
I am planning on getting oem fog lights for my 09 and splice them with the running/parking lights. Please Let me know how that goes! :)
Old 05-01-2014, 09:42 AM   #5
281Screw
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by greene04 View Post
I am planning on getting oem fog lights for my 09 and splice them with the running/parking lights. Please Let me know how that goes! :)
The good news is the switch that came with the harness is easily removed and modified to work off of the running lights. I did have to extend one the fog light pig tails but other then that all is good.
I tested them out on my truck since I didn't have access to the car at the time. I had already spliced into its running lights knowing which one i needed to try and they worked. got most of the wiring ran just have to run the trigger wire into the interior and hook up to the running lights. will get them finished up today and get pictures and let you know which wire to t-tap into.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:04 AM   #6
281Screw
Focus Enthusiast

Got them all wired up two issues one was a big scare. but was an easy fix once i thought about if for a minute. I used one of the existing ground bolts to mount the relay, I happened to choose the one for the computer so it wasn't make a good enough ground and the car just died; and then i just cranked until I removed the relay the other was the connection at the factory switch wasn't good enough so it wasn't sending enough voltage to trigger the relay and causing it to hum and buzz.

this is the running light wire you want to tap into

this is the grommet you are going to want to go through. you need to remove the driver side front wheel and wheel well cover to access it. didn't take a pictures of it on the inside of the car but it's towards the top left once u get the carpet out the way.

finished product

where i mounted the relay had it mounted to the middle ground screw and it turned out to be for the computer so don't use that one. just ended up self tapping it in
Old 05-03-2014, 05:59 PM   #7
281Screw
Focus Enthusiast

Okay so everything is going alright other then the fact when you dim the interior lights it also drops the voltage to the running lights and kills the relay. So I am gonna see if there is another wire u can tap into. But I'm gonna keep an eye out for an headlight switch with fog control for a decent price
Old 05-03-2014, 10:00 PM   #8
greene04
Focus Rookie

Thank you for the posts! I will get to installing it in a couple weeks after school, ill be sure to post pics! Thanks again!
Old 05-07-2014, 08:16 AM   #9
pinmonkey001
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 150058
What I Drive: 2009 Ebony SE

FF Reputation: 1 pinmonkey001 Good Standing Member
I'd like to do this to my car also.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:45 AM   #10
greene04
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281Screw View Post
Got them all wired up two issues one was a big scare. but was an easy fix once i thought about if for a minute. I used one of the existing ground bolts to mount the relay, I happened to choose the one for the computer so it wasn't make a good enough ground and the car just died; and then i just cranked until I removed the relay the other was the connection at the factory switch wasn't good enough so it wasn't sending enough voltage to trigger the relay and causing it to hum and buzz.

this is the running light wire you want to tap into

this is the grommet you are going to want to go through. you need to remove the driver side front wheel and wheel well cover to access it. didn't take a pictures of it on the inside of the car but it's towards the top left once u get the carpet out the way.

finished product

where i mounted the relay had it mounted to the middle ground screw and it turned out to be for the computer so don't use that one. just ended up self tapping it in
Do The black and red wires from relay go directly to battery? So it is always hot?

Bookmarks & Social Networks