Aluminum and delrin steering rack bushings - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-01-2014, 07:02 PM   #11
Buildist
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 150994
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Buildist Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Do these bushings mount right in the rack? With solid bushings in the steering rack, all of the impact from chuck-holes/pot-holes, bumps, etc. would be transfered to the bolt. With the bolt being stronger than the aluminum rack casting the ears that the bushings go through are at risk for breaking as they are the weak link between the wheel and the frame, are they not?

I fear without some give in the bushings (even poly bushings cause bending and breaking in many applications) the rack could be terminally damaged. The bushings in the rack are to absorb the impacts of the wheel from the road. Without that cushion the rack could take quite a beating. Have these been tested yet?

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2014, 07:11 PM   #12
gun_runner
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91693
What I Drive: 2000, Dirt Metallic, Kona ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 gun_runner Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildist View Post
Do these bushings mount right in the rack? With solid bushings in the steering rack, all of the impact from chuck-holes/pot-holes, bumps, etc. would be transfered to the bolt. With the bolt being stronger than the aluminum rack casting the ears that the bushings go through are at risk for breaking as they are the weak link between the wheel and the frame, are they not?

I fear without some give in the bushings (even poly bushings cause bending and breaking in many applications) the rack could be terminally damaged. The bushings in the rack are to absorb the impacts of the wheel from the road. Without that cushion the rack could take quite a beating. Have these been tested yet?

Steve

The bushings were not put there to protect the rack. The bushings were put there to dampen noise and vibration into the steering wheel. It is all in the sake of comfort. The same reason most shifters have rubber bushing mounts. Most cars do not use bushings at all. And with all of the performance cars that I have worked on. If any used rubber bushings, we tossed them.

There are about 6 sets out there now. Just waiting for review.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:18 PM   #13
qweesy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12042
What I Drive: 2004 focus Duratec 2.3 RS (DEAD)

FF Reputation: 3 qweesy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Id like a set
Old 05-02-2014, 09:44 PM   #14
Buildist
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 150994
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Buildist Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gun_runner View Post
The bushings were not put there to protect the rack. The bushings were put there to dampen noise and vibration into the steering wheel. It is all in the sake of comfort. The same reason most shifters have rubber bushing mounts. Most cars do not use bushings at all. And with all of the performance cars that I have worked on. If any used rubber bushings, we tossed them.

There are about 6 sets out there now. Just waiting for review.

Thanks for the info.

Steve
Old 05-05-2014, 08:55 PM   #15
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 53 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildist View Post

Steve
I ran poly bushings in racks on Mustangs for yrs w/ no issues, as well a poly joint in place of the rag joint. Plus you could have the bolt holes offset to adjust the rack up & use heim joints in place of your tie rod ends, for more adjustments.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 05-05-2014, 10:22 PM   #16
FordFanStan
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 134129
What I Drive: SVT

FF Reputation: 1 FordFanStan Good Standing Member
For what model/year are these for? I have not looked at my rack yet, but there is a lot of play when I steer at the moment, and when I was getting tires put on about a month ago I checked the tire/wheel for movement in the tie-rods and there was none. I am assuming the play is in the rack mounting at this point. Is this a common issue with Foci? This next weekend I will get under mine and inspect.
Thanks for any info.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:38 PM   #17
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 53 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFanStan View Post
For what model/year are these for? I have not looked at my rack yet, but there is a lot of play when I steer at the moment, and when I was getting tires put on about a month ago I checked the tire/wheel for movement in the tie-rods and there was none. I am assuming the play is in the rack mounting at this point. Is this a common issue with Foci? This next weekend I will get under mine and inspect.
Thanks for any info.
Theres not usally a issue w/ racks. It could be the inner tie rods. Did you hit any thing?
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 05-19-2014, 11:06 PM   #18
FordFanStan
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 134129
What I Drive: SVT

FF Reputation: 1 FordFanStan Good Standing Member
I bought the car like this at 99k miles, now it has about 102k. All four of the wheels are pretty dented up, so it is possible there is damage from hitting a curb or something.

I got under and checked this last weekend, but I don't have anyone to steer as I am underneath. Just by getting under and checking though, I see the SVT has a solid mounted rack so there is no room for error with that I suppose. No movement on tire/wheel so it does not appear to be tie rods or end links. I am going to try to get someone over to steer as I'm under to see if I see play in movement between the shaft and the rack or maybe internally in the rack. Only thing I can think of right now.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:31 PM   #19
gun_runner
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFanStan View Post
I bought the car like this at 99k miles, now it has about 102k. All four of the wheels are pretty dented up, so it is possible there is damage from hitting a curb or something.

I got under and checked this last weekend, but I don't have anyone to steer as I am underneath. Just by getting under and checking though, I see the SVT has a solid mounted rack so there is no room for error with that I suppose. No movement on tire/wheel so it does not appear to be tie rods or end links. I am going to try to get someone over to steer as I'm under to see if I see play in movement between the shaft and the rack or maybe internally in the rack. Only thing I can think of right now.

Are you sure about it being solidly mounted? I was told by many that the SVT rack is the same, just has different stops and tie rods. In fact, a few different SVT guys bought my bushings, and I believe installed them. You sure you are looking in the right spot?
Old 06-19-2014, 12:10 PM   #20
gun_runner
Focus Enthusiast

Hey guys, I'm going to be making the shims for the rear shocks too. They are going to be $15 shipped. I also want to make the solid shifter base bushings. I was thinking maybe $40 shipped for those.

All of my stuff is also available for trade. I'll post up a list of parts that I'm lookin for.

Bookmarks & Social Networks