My Rallycross Focus SVT - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Road Racing & Rally

Road Racing & Rally The place to discuss information about road/rally racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-27-2014, 03:10 PM   #21
thenorm
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 14947
What I Drive: '04 liquid grey ZX3, built for FSP

FF Reputation: 33 thenorm Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
i had a rally x recently.

there was only 8 drivers, so lots of runs. Also its a small venue so course design is limited.
anyways. I was 3rd over all behind 2 subies.

my car is regular zx3 springs up front with 1" spacers. Fresh SVT dampers all round. Also skidplate to protect the header.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2014, 07:22 PM   #22
rallyrs
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19498
FF Reputation: 3 rallyrs Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenorm View Post
i had a rally x recently.

there was only 8 drivers, so lots of runs. Also its a small venue so course design is limited.
anyways. I was 3rd over all behind 2 subies.

my car is regular zx3 springs up front with 1" spacers. Fresh SVT dampers all round. Also skidplate to protect the header.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Cool..where did you get the 1" spacers?
2.3 Duratec/MZR,slushbox-sold
Old 05-28-2014, 07:03 AM   #23
SBK86
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108959
What I Drive: 2004 Black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SBK86 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyrs View Post
So far on my car I've blown out stockers, HTS's ,and Inverted Dynamics(FRPP Multimatic) and have no doubt I would have blown AGX's.
Geesh that's quite a hassle with the warranty.

Wow that's surprising it's 2" less travel for the bilsteins. But I'll definitely call around and research it a bit more. There's no race in July for the DC region (there is one up in Pennsylvania I may go to but it's on a much tamer course) so I'll probably plan to get the new suspension on before August's race. There's a test and tune the day before the event so that'll give me time to play around with it and get it right.

I'm thinking the bilsteins for the front if they'll work and maybe tokicos in the rear... or just AGX since they're cheap and I can buy a backup set. I googled around a bit and I can't find anything on the rear bilsteins.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:10 AM   #24
rallyrs
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK86 View Post
Geesh that's quite a hassle with the warranty.

Wow that's surprising it's 2" less travel for the bilsteins. But I'll definitely call around and research it a bit more. There's no race in July for the DC region (there is one up in Pennsylvania I may go to but it's on a much tamer course) so I'll probably plan to get the new suspension on before August's race. There's a test and tune the day before the event so that'll give me time to play around with it and get it right.

I'm thinking the bilsteins for the front if they'll work and maybe tokicos in the rear... or just AGX since they're cheap and I can buy a backup set. I googled around a bit and I can't find anything on the rear bilsteins.
Yeah-check out those Bilstein fronts and let us know if you find what I did on the travel length...
Bilstein usa will revalve them for rallyx for you for not too much $$ also.

But..just remember I went through 3/4 of a rallyx season with the HTS front struts turned full stiff on svt springs with the spacers and placing well..but even with those struts at full stiff occasionally bottoming pretty bad still.
Not until I went with a slightly taller spring and added 50% rate to the springs did I stop bottoming issues.

This link below shows stock focus and svt spring rates.. and even the svt ones are really soft..

http://forums.focaljet.com/mk-i-susp...7-15-04-a.html

To further confuse the issue..some people rallyx on relatively stiff lowering springs and do really well.

Not a Focus..but last year I asked the guy that runs this vr6 powered Golf what suspension he was running.

He said H&R sport lowering springs and Bilsteins.
He said no bottoming issues........

I never did catch him all season...well I did..only because he broke(not anything suspension related).

Here's another guy doing well on lowering springs(although they are coilovers):

[img]
Drivers name is Keith Lightfoot, and the pic and quote below are from a rallyanarchy post:

"...... I ran a Focus SVT in SCCA RallyCross for several years with some success (two National Championships). I would recommend Team Dynamics Pro Rally 15" x 6" wheels (tight fit, but they clear the stock front calipers without modification) and a limited slip diff (I used a Torsen T2). Add some good coilovers. The Bilstein PSS9's I used were bullet-proof but the ride height would be too low for [stage]rally. Get your feet wet with a season or two of rallycross then add a cage if you still want to try stage rally..........."

So there is more than one way to do it..I went slightly taller and slightly stiffer others have had success with (almost) road race rates and stock height or even lowered and done well.

By the way the spring rate thread I posted earlier shows those pss9 rates at:

Bilstein PSS9
Front: 370#/in + 145#/in helper
Rear: 285#/in
These numbers came from Bilstein.

Way stiffer than our measly 129 lb/inch svt front springs......

Last edited by rallyrs; 05-30-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:35 AM   #25
SBK86
Focus Enthusiast

Hm.. so many options! Yeah I didn't realize the SVT springs were so soft... that would definitely help out.

I sent an email to Bilstein... which I probably shouldn't have done I should just find a shop and call and ask about it but here's the response I got:

"So you are correct that the travel is about 4", which from the information we have, is about 1" shorter than stock. This isn't uncommon when you make the switch from a twin-tube strut to a monotube shock, since the construction of the two is completely different.

The difference definitely wouldn't be any issue for the street driving that the B6 is designed for, but we can't say for sure what the effect would be while using them for rallycross. We obviously can't officially recommend it, but if you have colleagues that are using them with success, maybe they are worth a try?"

Sounds like there's a lot of ways to do this but the most important thing is to get something stiffer. I'm going camping this weekend for a bachelor party, also go karts at Summit Point Motorsports Park! So I won't have access to technology for the next few days. I'll look into this more when I'm back.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:14 AM   #26
SBK86
Focus Enthusiast

Little bit of an update.

My race last weekend was canceled due to severe weather. The course was pretty much under water so it has been rescheduled for July 12.

The new LSD and clutch are installed! Big thanks to Schroeder02 on here who did the install for me. The car feels awesome on turns now. It doesn't understeer as much on the road and on ramps are fun. Of course I can't push the car to its limit on the road so I'm excited to see how it does in rallycross.

I also got a new SVT header from someone on the forums here. My old one got dented and bent a bit from running the first event without a skid plate. The header was so bent that it angled the cat dangerously close to the oil pan so they were just about touching. I found a place nearby to ceramic coat the inside and outside of the header, it's all nice and pretty now:

It was still pretty hot and I was worried I'd melt up some fan wiring and resistor like has happened in the past. The heat wrap does a better job of reducing heat than the ceramic coating so I did a new heat wrap on the ceramic coated header with the DEI titanium wrap... looks really good but I forgot to take a picture of it.

Finally, new suspension has been ordered. After talking with Bilstein I decided to go with the Tokicos instead. Every Bilstein rep I talked to said the travel is less.. they said it wouldn't be a problem because of the design; however, they could only say this for street use and wouldn't comment on rallycross. Also I ordered custom stiffer springs from the site rallyrs mentioned. I shipped them an old SVT spring and they'll use it to make measurements and create new ones.

In other news, I'm going to the Pikes Peak Hillclimb next week! My parents live in Colorado so that will work out nicely. I'll post some pics on here later. Disappointed the road is completely paved to the top now, would have been nice to see it in the dirt.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:18 PM   #27
rallyrs
Focus Enthusiast

Header looks nice.....
Im interested to see how much the lsd helps....might have to adjust your driving style a bit...

Did you go much stiffer/taller on the springs?
Fronts only?
Old 07-02-2014, 09:18 AM   #28
SBK86
Focus Enthusiast

Back from Colorado and spectating the Pikes Peak Hillclimb. It was quite an experience with over 120 competitors. I've wanted to do it since I was a kid so glad I finally got out there. There was even a Ford RS200!

Back to rallycross.. I actually kept the same specs. 50% increase to spring rate, 1" height and did fronts only. I had to send them an SVT spring so they could take measurements and create the custom one. I figure yours was based on the standard Focus spring so it will be a little different. I'll try this out and then I'll have a better idea of what to do next time and then I'll include rears as well.

Also the car has started making some strange noises which has me a bit concerned... It reminds me of a wheel bearing sound, sort of a rotating rubbing noise; however it's not wheel bearings. I can get it to happen in neutral and revving the engine to around 3100 RPM. It's louder and more obvious if moving instead of stationary but will do it under both conditions.

My best guess is something on the accessory belt, maybe the noise is coming from the rotors on the inside of the power steering pump and it's failing? Not sure it's really hard to narrow down and I've never heard anything like it before. Over the holiday weekend I'm going to remove the accessory belt and run the car for a couple minutes while keeping an eye on the temp gauges to see if it still makes the noise. If it doesn't then I know it's something driven by that belt. Ten days til the next race!
Old 07-21-2014, 09:33 AM   #29
SBK86
Focus Enthusiast

I had my big two day event on July 12-13. I almost didn't make it due to some car problems right before the race.

So that noise I heard? I was way off. I must have been hearing a different noise when I had the car in neutral standing still. Maybe mistaking the sound of the air intake or something for the rotating noise I heard when driving at certain RPM. I was inspecting the car on the Monday before the race and couldn't find anything. I got an alignment done since I installed the Tokico suspension (I had some random problems getting those installed as well, company shipped me wrong hardware and the shock stems were too large for the original Focus mounts. I had to drill them out to get them to fit) While getting the alignment done I had the shop try and diagnose the noise for me and they had no idea. They said it was my tires or wheels being unbalanced even though I've swapped sets and still heard it. They say it's nothing serious so I'm fine to drive it. Thursday night comes and I'm putting the skid plate on, I spot grease flung all around the passenger side inner CV joint. I checked that same CV joint earlier in the week and it looked fine externally, no leaking grease or anything, but can't really see much with that boot on heh. At least now I know exactly the problem. I was kind of surprised cause usually CV joint problems you hear when you turn the car and it's an entirely different noise from what I was hearing. Mine would just do it at certain RPM randomly and turning it has no affect, you hear it regardless.

It was too late Thursday to call any part store so I had to wait until Friday morning. I call up about 4 parts stores in the area and they all tell me they can get me the part... next week. With the race tomorrow that wouldn't work. The SVT front axle is slightly different from the standard Focus so finding the part is a challenge. I give Autozone a try and luckily they can get me a remanufactured CV axle at 3pm that day.

My boss lets me leave a couple hours early since I have no idea how long this will take. Turns out, removing the passenger side CV axle is really easy and I have the old busted one out in about an hour. Autozone calls me to let me know the part is in so I take the Datsun over to pick it up. And I got the new axle installed in less than an hour. New one only cost $50 after the core charge so not bad at all really. I took it for a test drive and everything is perfect, no noise or problems. It's probably a good idea to replace the driver's side axle as well since usually if one goes the other one is going but I had no time. I may do it before the next one.

Onto the race...

There's about 40 entries total. My class (Prepared FWD) only has three cars: myself, Dodge Daytona and.. Focus ST! This guy spectated a previous rallycross and said he was planning to race his Focus ST this year... I never thought he would since it's a brand new car and I wouldn't thrash on it offroad.

There's two courses each day and Saturday's were all tight technical courses with lots of quick turns. My times started out a little rough, on my first run I screwed up my line and was headed the wrong way around a gate which would give me an offcourse penalty (worst time in your run group + 15 seconds). Instead I just aimed the car at the cones and took them out which got me a 2 cone penalty but much less severe than off course (+4 seconds). The rest of my runs were pretty smooth and I only had a couple more cone hits that day.

The new differential and suspension changes made a big difference. There was one long slightly uphill curve that previously I'd have to really fight the wheel to keep it in line and I'd have to be easy on the throttle. With the new limited slip differential, I could just put the throttle down and the car would just pull itself easily through the turn.

At the end of the first day, I was first in my class and about 40 or so seconds ahead of the Focus ST. The Dodge Daytona actually beat the Focus ST as well. Turns out I didn't have much to worry about. Driver experience matters a lot and this was the other guy's first event.

The SCCA rallycross chair invites everyone out to a bar/steakhouse a few minutes away in Frostburg so about 20 of us pile into our rally cars and drive into town. The college town is empty since it's the summer and apparently this steakhouse/bar closes in 30 minutes... However, they're so excited to have customers, especially 20, so they don't mind staying open late and letting us clean up in the bathroom (we all looked like coal miners after standing out in the dirt and dust all day).

I was planning to camp the first night with the other drivers but no one felt like camping after the long day. We all wanted AC, showers and a shelter that was already built. So instead a bunch of us got a few rooms at a comfort inn and we camped out in the hotel rooms.

On Sunday the Focus ST driver didn't show up. He wasn't running a skid plate so he was concerned about hurting his car which I fully understand. He said he's going to have one on and be back next event.

Sunday's courses were longer and faster speed courses with a lot of slaloms and large sweeping turns. I struggled a bit with the slaloms since I disconnected my front sway bar to give better traction. My first couple runs are a little sloppy as I adjust to fighting the wheel more but once I get used to it my times come down.

There's one long horseshoe turn that you are forced to drift if you want to be quick. On one run I nailed it perfectly, swinging the back end out and putting the car sideways through the apex while I adjusted the throttle to keep the wheels spinning. It was about a 3 or 4 second drift to get all the way through this big horseshoe. As soon as I was lined up with my exit out of the turn the wheels got grip and I launched forward. The corner worker that was watching that turn came up to me afterwards and told me it was the most beautiful drift he had ever seen.. wish I had it on video.

So my final results for the day.. I was first for all FWD cars. I beat all of the Stock and Prepared RWD cars and a few of the Modified RWD cars. I think in another couple events I could be first for all 2WD. I was surprised I beat a lot of AWD cars as well. Overall I'm pretty pleased and impressed with how the car is holding up. I have some more tweaks to make before the next event but each time myself and the car do better.

Thanks again to Schroeder02 on here for the LSD install and Tom for getting me the new tune with wideband right before the race.

Also found out recently that the Washington DC region has been chosen to host the Northeast Division championships in September. Will be nice to see some people from outside the area coming down.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:13 PM   #30
Schroeder02

Fan#: 53191
What I Drive: 2013 Red ST & 2009 Focus Race Car

FF Reputation: 62 Schroeder02 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
That’s fantastic the weekend went so well. Keep us all posted.

Do you have any special rituals when the helmet is concerned like many have? - I wipe it so that I can see better.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->