SVT and auto-xing - Page 8 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-06-2005, 09:01 AM   #71
SteelRain
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20144
What I Drive: 2004 Infra-Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SteelRain Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
A pothole forced me to buy 2 tires with VERY limited choices. I ended up with 2 Nitto NT Neo-Gen ZR's which I put on the front, with the stock Conti's in the back. How will this effect my performance? I have heard the Nitto's were decent tires so I hope I'm not totaly scr@wd. Anyone run these tires? The contact blocks are much larger than the Conti's so it looks good. Thanks for any tips.
Mike

www.okscca.org

WARNING!!! The surgeon general has announced that AUTOCROSS is more addicting than CRACK!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2005, 08:28 AM   #72
SteelRain
Focus Enthusiast

What a horrible day... 22 cones!!!! Out of 10 runs (low turnout, let us get 5 runs per class) I only had 4 without any cones. The finish was a 90+ degree left hand turn with a cone wall, which I met up with twice. OMG these Nittos have NO grip at all. I finnished 4 of 5 in GS and 7 of 12 in Sportsman where I had most of my clean runs. 21 of 56 overall in PAX. I did retain a 1 point lead in season points with consistant participation. Well, it was still fun. I will get some Koni adjustables before the July event to replace my bent strut (bent from the pothole that forced me to get the Nitto's) so hopefully they will help out some. I will run with the Conti's up front in July also. The Nitto's didn't roll as much, but the Conti's definately had more grip. Good luck to all you Solo Artists out there, and if you haven't tried it yet, GO FOR IT!!
Mike

www.okscca.org

WARNING!!! The surgeon general has announced that AUTOCROSS is more addicting than CRACK!!!
Old 06-13-2005, 08:40 AM   #73
Daeron
Focus Addict

Fan#: 20554
What I Drive: 03 Pitch Black SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 Daeron Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
I had 4 runs and did pretty good. Only one car in GS, so all I really competed in was Novice, and came in 3rd (it's based on PAX times). Of the 4 runs, DNF'd the first one, and consistantly did better on the rest. New tires/rims are a must in the near future if I want to shave any time off. By the final run, the asphalt was so hot that you flat out couldn't put your fingers on the tread at all. Pretty bad when the final guy to run didn't even run (he had already won) so that he didn't tear up his tires.

I may try and get some tires that I can use for drag and autox on 17" rims (use fronts for drag, then all 4 for autox). Wife gave me a dirty look when I mentioned it though, so I have to really hunt down the most inexpensive route I can. Any suggestions on a nice light rim/tire combo that'd work for both?
#2277 of 3985 born on 5/27/03
SVT Squad #20

SCT XCal2 (Hypnotic), AEM CAI, VR rear engine mount, FC ORP, FRPP STS, FC 2pc UDP, Eibach Pro-Kit springs/KYB AGX dampers, FRPP HIDs, Sony CDX-M8815X, Pioneer TS-A6880R front speakers, 16" Rota Grid (Royal Gunmetal) w/Falken Azenis RT615's

2004 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra Convertible, Mystichrome
#292 of 1896
Old 06-13-2005, 06:39 PM   #74
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
^^^Save your money for a bit^^^
Before investing in race tires/rims, get yourself tuned first.
Once you start getting consistent,
to the point where you're within a couple percentage points time-wise between all your runs,
then, and only then, should you start thinking about springing for some better tires/rims.

Seriously.
Talk to some of the more experienced folks at your events, and I'll bet they have the same advice.

The reason why, is street tires will magnify driver inconsistencies much moreso than race rubber will.
Yes, you'll end up being faster, but not nearly as much faster as you would be if you worked on the driver first.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:26 PM   #75
Daeron
Focus Addict

Fan#: 20554
What I Drive: 03 Pitch Black SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 Daeron Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Ya, I gotta plan now in order to get it approved by the wife in the future though

I really started getting the feel of the car on the last of my 4 runs, only taking off a half a second from the previous run (had an experienced driver ride with me and he said I ran real well and gave me a suggestion of speeding up in one sweeper and he was very impressed with the handling of the car) and I really found the squirly point of the car (ABS rocks!!!).

Old timer there driving a mini was pretty impressed with my car and driving skills as well, to the point he invited me to a seperate autocross club to run with as well.

Only bad thing is it's freakin hot down here now. 110 degrees on the asphalt was not fun by any means
#2277 of 3985 born on 5/27/03
SVT Squad #20

SCT XCal2 (Hypnotic), AEM CAI, VR rear engine mount, FC ORP, FRPP STS, FC 2pc UDP, Eibach Pro-Kit springs/KYB AGX dampers, FRPP HIDs, Sony CDX-M8815X, Pioneer TS-A6880R front speakers, 16" Rota Grid (Royal Gunmetal) w/Falken Azenis RT615's

2004 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra Convertible, Mystichrome
#292 of 1896
Old 06-16-2005, 01:19 PM   #76
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
I got Azenis RT-615s on mine and they are about the best out there short of R Compounds. Got em for $148 a piece.

Got Avid V4Ss on my wife's GTI, and those seem very good, and they are an all-season. Only $72 a piece on tirerack.com.

I'm hooked on grip now though, and am trying to find the best option for R Compounds. Thinking the Hankook Ventus or the Kumho Victoracer...

As for lightweight rims, the best price/performance balance I have seen is Motegi Trak-Lites. $867 from a wholesaler on Ebay, look awesome (especially in flat black) and only weigh 14 pounds (7 pounds a corner lighter than the stock SVT rims.) Also, they are forged so they should hold up pretty well.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:52 PM   #77
SteelRain
Focus Enthusiast

Update on Nitto NeoGen's. The tire is not as bad as I first noted. I ran my 1st event with the tire having only 200 miles on it. I read an article on tires that said the manufacturer uses a 'slick' compound on the outer layer of the tire to help it come out of the mold easier, one of the reasons it is recommended to have your new R comp race tires shaved. Well, they are wore in pretty good now. In my last event on Sept 18 I was only 1.69 sec from the top Mini wearing Kumho V700's and my Sportsman run dropped down to within 1.448 sec from him. the Nitto has a very stiff side wall, and I experiance very minimal roll over. I am running 48PSI in the front, and 36PSI in the Contis in the rear. So, my initial rant that they are worthless might have been a bit harsh and unwarrented. I would rather have Azenis but... ah well. I will be getting some V700's for next season.

www.okscca.org

Old 10-03-2005, 08:57 AM   #78
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
Mini Cooper S getting moved to DS next year, for all those who didn't see that in the "National Results" thread.

I am currently in 1st in GS in my region, and I think I may be in the points in the neighboring Iowa region as well! (GS not a very well-attended class there, and I go to several of their events). The SVTF can definitely be competetive, especially with those pesky MCSs gone...
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...
Old 10-06-2005, 07:36 PM   #79
Oni
Oh yeah!

Fan#: 24899
What I Drive: An unloved Focus

FF Reputation: 4 Oni Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
It's nice to see Mike making all the tire decisions because I can follow up at his expense and advice on optimum tire choices.

That's actually a shame the S's are getting booted out of G stock. That'll cut down the competition in our local autocrosses in G stock in half at least. Oh well, if we ever go national and whatnot, at least our SVT's will be more competitive. Well at least Mike's will. My ContiExtremeContacts are like a knife in my side for competition.
SVT Squad #80
1365 of 3985
Born: 04/25/2003

formerly known as the member ilcowil
Old 10-06-2005, 08:34 PM   #80
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
That'll cut down the competition in our local autocrosses in G stock in half at least.
Not neccessarily.
You should see how many cars from D Stock that are slated to move to G Stock.
The lastest issue of Sports Car Mag (FasTrack) had them listed.

Here's just some of the proposed moves:
Move Mini Cooper S to DS
Move Chevrolet Cobalt SS to GS
Move Dodge Neon SRT-4 to GS
Move Saturn Ion Redline to GS
Move Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V to GS

It gets worse:
From the November FasTrack...>>>http://www.scca.com/_FileLibrary/Fil...1-fastrack.pdf
Page 16:
Toyota Celica GT-S ('00+) From DS to GS
Mazdaspeed Protégé From DS to GS
Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V From DS to GS
VolkswagenGolf/Jetta/GLI 24V VR6 ('02+) From DS to GS

And, check page 17:
Wow. Maybe there will be less cars after all.
But, the Si moving to HS????!!!!
Acura RSX (non-Type-S) From GS to HS
Acura TSX From GS to HS
Honda Civic Si ('99-'00) From GS to HS
Honda Civic Si ('02+) From GS to HS
Hyundai Tiburon 6-cyl ('02+) From GS to HS
Mazda 3 (all) From GS to HS
Pontiac Vibe From GS to HS
Saturn DOHC models From GS to HS
Toyota Matrix (all) From GS to HS
Ford Probe (all) From GS to HS
Mazda MX-6 (all) From GS to HS
Nissan 200SX SE-R ('95+) From GS to HS
Toyota Celica GT ('94-98) From GS to HS
Toyota Celica ST ('94-98) From GS to HS

I guess it's time to start writing some letters to the BOD!

Bookmarks & Social Networks