SVT and auto-xing - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-23-2005, 09:45 AM   #21
SteelRain
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20144
What I Drive: 2004 Infra-Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SteelRain Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
To stay in stock GS I can't use a short ram or CAI. What about removing the filter for the event? Will that make any difference? Less restriction?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2005, 10:50 AM   #22
scsvt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20502
What I Drive: 03 svt

FF Reputation: 1 scsvt Good Standing Member
y the helll woudl uw anan remove the filter? u need a air filter fo soem sort the extra 1hp you will gain wont be worth it
Old 03-23-2005, 10:54 AM   #23
SteelRain
Focus Enthusiast

^^ ok, if I interpreted you correctly, I need the OEM filter to run stock class?
Old 03-23-2005, 11:30 AM   #24
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
You can replace it with anything you want, as long as the stock airbox remains. It's not really going to make a difference, though. An extra 1-2 BHP isn't going to do a single thing for you, and removing the filter does open the possibilty of engine damage. So, in other words, there's no reason to do it.

I wouldn't even start to think about modifying the car until you have an entire season under your belt. You won't start really getting to the edge of the CAR'S limits for quite a while, because you are going to be the limiting factor in the car's speed. All you can do is practice, practice, practice.

My biggest advice is to slow down a bit. Honestly. I can't remember how many times I ended up feeling like a went through a course slower and ended up dropping a ton of time. Most people lose time by going into corners too hot and trying to dive into every corner as late as possible. You need to be thinking several turns ahead. Straighten out the course as much as possible. When you are doing your course walk in the morning, think about what angles you can take to eliminate as much steering as possible. The fastest line is always the smoothest and the straightest.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:40 AM   #25
SteelRain
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks Carrera26,
I don't plan on anything major until, as you said, I learn how to drive it properly. I was just thinking about anything that might help out some. Looks like there will be rain on event day. How will this impact the event other than the obvious slick surface?
Mike
Old 03-23-2005, 02:03 PM   #26
scsvt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20502
What I Drive: 03 svt

FF Reputation: 1 scsvt Good Standing Member
if you wnaan mode your car there r soem thigns u can do and still keep ya in gs that will help ya out if u wanna move up to sts. geta nice set of konis and mayeb soem light wheels with race tires. all those with keep u in gs give you an edge and r nesacary to be competitve if u move up to sts. look at my mod list, all that and u r still in sts. the one thing i need is lighter wheels. im pretty much always top three at my events i run unless i had a late night at the titty clubt he nigth before.

like they said take your first run mayeb even second take it slow figure otu where your apex r and know wer euw anan brake and when u wanna accelerate and what gear u wanna be in. run novice class first year maybe do those mods i suggested and next year start gettign heavy on the mods and move into sts
Old 03-23-2005, 03:24 PM   #27
Osiris
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 172
What I Drive: 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

FF Reputation: 1 Osiris Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally posted by thefrush
What every n00b needs to hear, the fastest times always look the slowest, because they are smooth. There is no tire screeching, oversteer, etc, it is just smooth.
Sometimes true, sometimes not...

Last race I was pretty much hitting a wall, I felt like I had the line but my times were stagnant.

Last run I said screw it and went balls out. Tires yelling, engine screaming, and whaddya know, 2 seconds came off my time....

You're right though, smoother is faster, but it's all about finding the line, keeping the engine in the sweet spot and LOOKING AHEAD!!!

-To the CAI question, yes, I would just swap back to the stock airbox before each race, now I just leave the thing modded and run in DSP...
2003 SVT Focus - CD Silver/Red #2822
Appearance'd

2005 Mustang GT - Black/Crimson
Not Stock
Old 03-23-2005, 05:26 PM   #28
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally posted by SteelRain
Looks like there will be rain on event day.
How will this impact the event other than the obvious slick surface?
Mike
In that case, you're looking pretty good!
Clicky here...>>>2nd AutoCross - 2nd place

FWIW, I'm running an ITG Pro drop in filter from FocusSport...>>>Clicky
Old 03-23-2005, 07:57 PM   #29
Osiris
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 172
What I Drive: 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

FF Reputation: 1 Osiris Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Yes, and the R compounds....
2003 SVT Focus - CD Silver/Red #2822
Appearance'd

2005 Mustang GT - Black/Crimson
Not Stock
Old 03-24-2005, 01:02 PM   #30
SteelRain
Focus Enthusiast

[B]In that case, you're looking pretty good!
Clicky here...>>>2nd AutoCross - 2nd place

That makes me feel a lot better. I was very concerned about this being my first run and rain to boot, but it's nice to know that the SVT does well in wet weather. I haven't drove it in the rain yet, been dry since I picked it up. Will test it Friday when the rain begins in a parking lot and see where I loose traction.
Mike

Bookmarks & Social Networks