SVT and auto-xing - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-21-2005, 04:30 PM   #11
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing MemberWD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Moving to "Racing, Rally & Autocross"....

Yep, I'll say the SVTF does OK in GS.
I've got a nice little 1st place plaque hanging on the wall.
This year could prove different, but there hasn't been a Mini-S nor Celica that's bested me yet.
At least, not one in the same class as me.

I'm sure what region you're in makes a difference too.
There's some serious folks out there, that know the rule book inside and out.
They also do every mod possible within the rules.
There's a lot of factory replacement parts for other cars, that are not available for ours.
That's where we get left behind by the competition.
Examples would be "limited slip" and "crash bolts" (for adjusting camber after an accident).
The above items are not in the available options, nor in a factory repair manual for the SVTF,
so you can't use them in a "stock" class.

Our clubs are pretty laid back around here.
In fact, I could probably run with my VF and STS, and nobody would really give me a 2nd look in GS.
Out of the 3 club that hold events around here, there's only one that actually follows SCCA rules.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2005, 04:36 PM   #12
Stephen S.
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12276
What I Drive: 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO

FF Reputation: 1 Stephen S. Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I personally havent run against a Cooper S. I don't doubt that it may handle better than an SVTF, but keep in mind there are a lot more Minis out there than SVTFs, so more may "trickle down" into auto-x. As WD40 said, I think it also depends on what region you are in. I think the Mini and SVTF are relatively close, so it comes down more to the driver than the car.
On a side note, I wonder what the Mini's gearing is like. Is it lower than the SVTF (i dont see how it couldnt be :) )

Last edited by Stephen S.; 03-21-2005 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:49 PM   #13
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing MemberWD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I wonder what the Mini's gearing is like. Is it lower than the SVTF (i dont see how it couldnt be :) )
From what I understand, Mini owner's covet the SVTF gearsets,
because they actually are geared lower than the Mini.
I know, hard to believe, isn't it?
Old 03-21-2005, 05:18 PM   #14
Osiris
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 172
What I Drive: 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

FF Reputation: 1 Osiris Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I've taken an '05 and I've been smoked by many others.

Minis at the hand of experienced drivers are a thing of beauty.

I have to agree with the consensus, at first this car will amaze you because its sorta "forgiving" in that you've got a car that can handle so well it makes you look like you know what you're doing. As you get better you start realizing the real drivers out there require you to actually learn how to handle this beast.

I won two out of my first three races, coming in second by 4 hundreths in the second race to an A4 quattro 3.0, I left GS when I started modding the car but was soundly getting my fanny smacked by a very well-driven 337 with SSR's and R comps. I managed a 2 second margin but not much better.

Now that I'm in DSP I've closed that gap to about 3/4's to a full second behind, there's still plenty to go, it's not about the car though. It's about me, I think a pro behind the wheel of my car could probably clean house.
2003 SVT Focus - CD Silver/Red #2822
Appearance'd

2005 Mustang GT - Black/Crimson
Not Stock
Old 03-21-2005, 06:28 PM   #15
sixty9oz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1999
What I Drive: 04 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3 mtx

FF Reputation: 1 sixty9oz Good Standing Member
I just went against one yesterday, and he barely beat my worst time. I was in GSN, but he was in something else, I don't remember. Our cars do surprisingly well. I just wish I didn't have TC. I won't pull the fuse cause I like the ABS. It is so much fun.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:28 PM   #16
scsvt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20502
What I Drive: 03 svt

FF Reputation: 1 scsvt Good Standing Member
bottom line the new mini cooper s have a limited slip wich makes a huge diference in auto-x. thw onyl way a svt cna be semi competitive is in sts. that way you cna have evry suspension mod and its really up to the driver
Old 03-21-2005, 10:51 PM   #17
SteelRain
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20144
What I Drive: 2004 Infra-Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SteelRain Good Standing Member
Thanks for all the info. I am looking forward to my 1st time out. Don't really care how I do 1st time out, I'm gonna have a ball, and learn how she handles. Hopefully by the end of the season I will be competitive
Old 03-22-2005, 10:04 AM   #18
scsvt
Focus Enthusiast

dont forget brake hard and last pick an apex and accelorat out of the turn. dont go int he conrer hot or say hello to understeer. when u brake u need to brake as u r turnign the car towards were uw ant to go that wya u r shifting the weight so when u hot the gas the weight is already were uw ant it and can accelerate out. another hint we have tall first geras but dotn keep it in first the whole time. i tried that and found gettign ti in 2nd and keepign it there helps your times unless its a tiny and tight course
Old 03-22-2005, 12:24 PM   #19
scsvt
Focus Enthusiast

lol dude i woudl liekt o see u oversteer our fwd car with stock suspension. if you get the ass end to come otu a bit thats good with fwd that way u hit gas the frotn tiress grip and u shoot off. a bit of oversteer with our car is good
Old 03-22-2005, 03:31 PM   #20
Osiris
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 172
What I Drive: 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

FF Reputation: 1 Osiris Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Yep...I've done it a few times in a stock suspension car. It's not hard to do at all. And with this car, you actually want to carry more speed to get out of those corners quicker, you don't really have a lot of torque to help you do it. yes, you'll understeer if you go in too hot and those brakes make it pretty easy to slow down fast, but you need to find that sweet spot where the car's wonderful suspension allows you to go in quickly and come out still in somewhat of a powerband.
2003 SVT Focus - CD Silver/Red #2822
Appearance'd

2005 Mustang GT - Black/Crimson
Not Stock

Bookmarks & Social Networks