a few questions about autox. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-24-2005, 06:20 PM   #1
BlackNRed01
Boost?

Fan#: 21668
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3 MTX

FF Reputation: 4 BlackNRed01 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
a few questions about autox.

well i wanna start to get into autox next season, and i prettymuch know what the classes are for scaa autox, so my question is this,is it gonna be worth my while to run in the "stock class". or should i justait until i have some suspension stuff done as well then run in stock modified or whatever?

Boosted & Back: Parting Out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2005, 08:04 PM   #2
archie
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9921
What I Drive: 2008 Lexus IS-F

FF Reputation: 1 archie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
start running now if you can. although you are going to be changing your suspension, you can still learn a lot about your car the way it is. plus you will also be getting in the environment and learning tricks all before your new suspension goes on. this way when you mod your suspension you will have some type of driving technique and will know about the best lines, when to brake. you can also develop the left foot braking technique so it cuts down the time it takes for your right foot to move from pedal to pedal. there are many things you can learn now, that will only help you once you mod your car.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:08 PM   #3
LastRites
BAD EGG

Fan#: 8452
What I Drive: 2008 Mica-Black Mazdaspeed 3 Sport

FF Reputation: 18 LastRites Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Man I had a blast running in the stock class with my old ZX3. I say do it! Not only run events but try and get into the instructional classes if offered. The Focus is a contender in HS

04 SVTF/5
, EAP, Pitch Black (rip)
# 908 of 1079, Born 03/16/2004
SVT SQUAD # 68
" I brake for saucy Pirate wenches"
Old 09-24-2005, 08:29 PM   #4
Oni
Oh yeah!

Fan#: 24899
What I Drive: An unloved Focus

FF Reputation: 4 Oni Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
You might check out www.zoomzoomlive.com. It's Mazda's free autocross event for a day at different locations. Yes, free.

Just so you know, you're very limited on what you can modify on a stock car before you have to enter another class, and you might find yourself not as competitive in your class. Run in Novice class if you just want to run for fun. No one's going to knock you for having fun, and a lot of people are starting to get into autocross as well (every event there's someone new).

I just started autocrossing as well. Your base class (G Stock) should be fairly competitive. So far, I've placed second in my base class and fourth (out of four cars both times) at the two events I've run. I get to run against another SVT Focus owner, and it's just good fun.

The best advantage to get and keep your car competitive is to buy stock sized rims and fit a pair of R-Comp tires. This is a better advantage over suspension adjustments, and your car is still considered stock as long as the rims are equal to OEM dimensions. Right now with the usual four competitors I run with, I have the highest treadwear rating (400), and it kills my low speed cornerning abilities. Now if it rained.. I might dominate my class, but that's another story...

It's a blast and not nearly as abusive to your car as circuit racing would be. If you haven't spectated at an event, go and check one out. Otherwise, just run in one. It's fun. Trust us!
SVT Squad #80
1365 of 3985
Born: 04/25/2003

formerly known as the member ilcowil
Old 09-24-2005, 11:23 PM   #5
Samoan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 26186
What I Drive: 2004 CD Silver ZX5 D2.3

FF Reputation: 1 Samoan Good Standing Member
The mazda event would have been pretty cool, too bad Katrina had to rear hre ugly head a screw s**t up for me. I have a hard enought time to go to SCCA events and watch. Still havnt made it to one.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:18 PM   #6
focusedaddiction
2focusedracing

Fan#: 23787
What I Drive: 2003 sangria red 5spd. ZX3Turbo

FF Reputation: 4 focusedaddiction Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
you could only gain experiance if you run in the stock class, no sence in waiting when you could be learning and having a great time to boot' ya could always bump to the next class as you modd., you'll be more ready for the next class with at least some experience under your belt!
enjoy, autocrossing is great!!!!
_/\_/\_SCCA_/\_/\_SM #74_/\_/\_BRING ON THE CONES!...zetec crew #74
ZX3..underpressure
tuning by TOM
Old 09-25-2005, 08:46 PM   #7
MyBlackST
Capital Obvious

Fan#: 11768
What I Drive: 2008 Redfire Metallic Fusion

FF Reputation: 1 MyBlackST Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
running as your car is now will be a good experience. You will learn how your car reacts and find it's limits. You can build off those. I run in HS and have been doing pretty well. Plus 80% of autocross is the driver. I mean (as an example), There was a Lotus Elise at our last event and I beat him by a few seconds...it's because he was learning and from viewing it was kinda timmid...on the other hand..there was another on there running the best times of the day. Seat time is the best answer before modding for the stuff...

ST Crew #3
TEAM DURATEC # 7
Old 09-25-2005, 09:15 PM   #8
zx3Fletch
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 26883
What I Drive: 2003 Dark Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 zx3Fletch Good Standing Member
go do it....more experience the better....just got back from autox today....yet miserable from all the Rita Rain

Starting fund for Jrsc/BBK
Mods: AEM CAI, Magnaflow, 17'' white rally rims, trim kit
Old 09-26-2005, 10:10 AM   #9
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
Don't wait for anything man. Like they said, it's mostly the driver. I run in G-Stock on street tires, with NO mods, and at the Evo school this weekend I ended up just 4 tenths of a second behind a 2002 modified Corvette, ran right with and sometimes beat WRXs and STIs. I was 1 of just 2 guys there with no mods, but I did really well.
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...
Old 09-26-2005, 11:34 AM   #10
Oni
Oh yeah!

Fan#: 24899
What I Drive: An unloved Focus

FF Reputation: 4 Oni Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
One of the fastest stock cars I've ever seen autocross is the Toyota MR2. Holy sh... to give you a comparision of its times vs. the G stock times. Of course, it runs in C stock. My best time was 50.7xx. His fastest time was 44.6xx. The fastest street legal car was 42.xxx, so you can see how it stacks up. He was running on street tires just as I was. Scary, isn't it?
SVT Squad #80
1365 of 3985
Born: 04/25/2003

formerly known as the member ilcowil

Bookmarks & Social Networks